Chiefs 5-1 In Control of AFC? Your prediction?

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Almost all the AFC North teams with exception of the Steelers- they have become NE lite IMO....more finesse, less defense....and you already beat them in their house albeit in almost perfect weather.

It makes sense with the rule changes that teams adapt to a more wide open style and counter that on defense with more cover guys and pass rushers. Those old school offenses aren't going to win a Super Bowl but they are going to create some headaches for teams just not set up to stop it. Wouldn't you consider the Ravens a physical defense though?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It makes sense with the rule changes that teams adapt to a more wide open style and counter that on defense with more cover guys and pass rushers. Those old school offenses aren't going to win a Super Bowl but they are going to create some headaches for teams just not set up to stop it. Wouldn't you consider the Ravens a physical defense though?

Like all teams it depends on who they are playing.

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Almost all the AFC North teams with exception of the Steelers- they have become NE lite IMO....more finesse, less defense....and you already beat them in their house albeit in almost perfect weather.

Odd that you would say that, as I think the Ravens are playing Defense better than anyone else in the league.

Nvm: read that post completely wrong--reading is so hard when its 5 in the afternoon I guess....but seriouslu, who knew a guy that insisted on being known as Wink could do so well?

I'm shaking my head tonight. My opinion is every year is unique unto itself. What happened last year or the year before is irrelevant to this year. Unless you have done little to nothing to upgrade your team then maybe. Even at that...Kansas City won the division last year but I hear a lot of caution among analysts about how we started out hot and then hid a major skid in the middle of the season. THAT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN!!

Really? Is changing the QB not the single biggest personnel change you can make to altar a team's destiny? And yet to hear it in the media...this is essentially the same team. I just think it's lazy journalism (if you want to call it that) to assume that the Chiefs could fall into that same slump this year because "it's happened before". What the hell is that? Anybody got a take?

2 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I'm shaking my head tonight. My opinion is every year is unique unto itself. What happened last year or the year before is irrelevant to this year. Unless you have done little to nothing to upgrade your team then maybe. Even at that...Kansas City won the division last year but I hear a lot of caution among analysts about how we started out hot and then hid a major skid in the middle of the season. THAT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN!!

Really? Is changing the QB not the single biggest personnel change you can make to altar a team's destiny? And yet to hear it in the media...this is essentially the same team. I just think it's lazy journalism (if you want to call it that) to assume that the Chiefs could fall into that same slump this year because "it's happened before". What the hell is that? Anybody got a take?

Recency bias.  Granted, the Chiefs "recency" of shitting the bed encompasses multiple decades, so lots of bias. 

9 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Recency bias.  Granted, the Chiefs "recency" of shitting the bed encompasses multiple decades, so lots of bias. 

Oh I certainly consider the Chiefs crappy history fair game for discussion and understand why there are reservations. But let's get to the post season before we start wondering if we have what it takes to get over the hump. The post season is where the Chiefs have consistently fallen short. As far as the regular season...last year was not anything like the year before. Why should this year then be like last?

There is a saying, "If you want something you've never had you have to do something you've never done." The Chiefs identified and drafted a franchise quarterback. Something they haven't done since 1983. I was so against the Chiefs drafting Blackledge. I just knew he was the wrong guy. Fast forward to last year...I was all in on Patrick Mahomes and believed he was "The One" to quote the Matrix. So far he has exceeded my expectations and I suspect most everyone else's as well. I don't see a major slump this year.

12 minutes ago, dhitter said:

After starting 5-0 last year the Chiefs offense went into the tank scoring 17 points or less in four of the next six games (all loses).  There’s not much difference in the D so do we believe offense is as succeptable to basically a six week slump this year with Mahomes as we were last year with Alex?  I do not personally.

Tough game this week though against a coach who’s fared well vs Andy Reid teams with a physical approach. 

14 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

We haven’t had a losing season in five years where are averaging almost 11 wins per year in that period  and looking for our third straight division title. Our problems have been in January where elite QBs are usually the key.  

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

After starting 5-0 last year the Chiefs offense went into the tank scoring 17 points or less in four of the next six games (all loses).  There’s not much difference in the D so do we believe offense is as succeptable to basically a six week slump this year with Mahomes as we were last year with Alex?  I do not personally.

Tough game this week though against a coach who’s fared well vs Andy Reid teams with a physical approach. 

What you say is true about the Bengals having had our number for the most part. My answer this year is always the same. Have they done it against Patrick Mahomes? I work with a die hard Steelers fan. He told me they had the Chiefs (and Andy Reid's) number. It was at Heinz Field.  Have the Chiefs ever beaten Roethlisberger? I think maybe once. Everything this year is filtered through the Mahomes factor. So until they do it against him...I'm gonna say the Bengels are the lesser team and history will not help them Sunday night.

As a side note: Thank God we finally get a prime time game at home. Had to be flexed for us to get that!

19 minutes ago, dhitter said:

What you say is true about the Bengals having had our number for the most part. My answer this year is always the same. Have they done it against Patrick Mahomes? I work with a die hard Steelers fan. He told me they had the Chiefs (and Andy Reid's) number. It was at Heinz Field.  Have the Chiefs ever beaten Roethlisberger? I think maybe once. Everything this year is filtered through the Mahomes factor. So until they do it against him...I'm gonna say the Bengels are the lesser team and history will not help them Sunday night.

As a side note: Thank God we finally get a prime time game at home. Had to be flexed for us to get that!

No doubt even with youthful mistakes Mahomes brings dynamic that cannot be measured by anything a Chiefs fan has seen in decades.  Throw conventional perceptions about this team out the window.  Tim Grunhard said as much tonight on the radio.  

This doesn’t mean we won’t or can’t go through some tough times though.  But man you let us hang around a game in the fourth quarter against anyone, even in January, and I’ll take our chances with this kid behind center!  

And if Veach can build a defense this thing can flat be scary for the rest of the AFC.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

And if Veach can build a defense this thing can flat be scary for the rest of the AFC.  

I totally agree...but the operative word is "if". I will give him this off season (FA and the draft) to see what he can accomplish. But I am concerned. We spent an entire draft on defense. Watkins aside, all our other notable FA/trade pickups were defense (Amerson, Williams, Hitchens, Fuller). And with all of that, our defense is absolutely brutal to watch.

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

I totally agree...but the operative word is "if". I will give him this off season (FA and the draft) to see what he can accomplish. But I am concerned. We spent an entire draft on defense. Watkins aside, all our other notable FA/trade pickups were defense (Amerson, Williams, Hitchens, Fuller). And with all of that, our defense is absolutely brutal to watch.

I think it will go a long way to see who we get but I think it takes more than 1 season to truly get it going. Even if we draft all defense again, they are still rookies and it takes usually a year or 2 for some to get going. I want to see improvement from our rookies this year towards end of the season going into next year. This is why I think we are active in FA to really solidify what we can and leave us options un the feat without having to rely solely on the draft for a big hit or 2 to start start right away.

22 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

That's what the Ravens have done- but a change at Coordinator has done wonders for us.

Bengals play a bend don't break D- they are pretty physical also. Browns are too. Ravens are physical but also a finesse defense. Pitt isn't very good on Defense this year.

19 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Odd that you would say that, as I think the Ravens are playing Defense better than anyone else in the league.

Nvm: read that post completely wrong--reading is so hard when its 5 in the afternoon I guess....but seriouslu, who knew a guy that insisted on being known as Wink could do so well?

Wink was given to him in college....he embraces it....and he has been the right man for the job....we called for Pees' head after the 2014 season...

14 hours ago, dhitter said:

Oh I certainly consider the Chiefs crappy history fair game for discussion and understand why there are reservations. But let's get to the post season before we start wondering if we have what it takes to get over the hump. The post season is where the Chiefs have consistently fallen short. As far as the regular season...last year was not anything like the year before. Why should this year then be like last?

There is a saying, "If you want something you've never had you have to do something you've never done." The Chiefs identified and drafted a franchise quarterback. Something they haven't done since 1983. I was so against the Chiefs drafting Blackledge. I just knew he was the wrong guy. Fast forward to last year...I was all in on Patrick Mahomes and believed he was "The One" to quote the Matrix. So far he has exceeded my expectations and I suspect most everyone else's as well. I don't see a major slump this year.

I totally agree. My statement was not that I supported the supposition that our past failures have any indication of future failures, but as a possible reasoning behind those that do. 

13 hours ago, dhitter said:

We spent an entire draft on defense but didn't have a pick until midway through round 2. Gotta give this group some time. Amerson was a throw at a dart board to band aid more than any real committment. Same with Scandrick. I've heard some really good things about X Williams potential. And as Fuller adjusts to playing outside he's gonna be just fine. The question is Hitchens. Aside from that I think the plan all along was to focus on fixing secondary next offseason where we've got a 1st and and two 2nds. But the way I see it right now our priorities are now.

Safety, corner and an inside linebacker who can cover RBs and tight ends. 

10 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

We spent an entire draft on defense but didn't have a pick until midway through round 2. Gotta give this group some time. Amerson was a throw at a dart board to band aid more than any real committment. Same with Scandrick. I've heard some really good things about X Williams potential. And as Fuller adjusts to playing outside he's gonna be just fine. The question is Hitchens. Aside from that I think the plan all along was to focus on fixing secondary next offseason where we've got a 1st and and two 2nds. But the way I see it right now our priorities are now.

Safety, corner and an inside linebacker who can cover RBs and tight ends. 

In a way you kinda are proving my point. The areas you list as needs for next year...are basically the areas we needed to improve on this year. We spent a lot of energy filling holes with guys who are not only not elite...they often are downright horrible. We will win by piling up points and winning games 38-31 or 42 -35. Okay as long as we are winning but at some point the defense has to pull its fair share. History proves the playoffs are not the same as the regular season. Defense needs to be at least average...and they are anything but. You may be right...as the season progresses there may be improvements. Nobody wants you to be more right about that than me.

7 hours ago, dhitter said:

In a way you kinda are proving my point. The areas you list as needs for next year...are basically the areas we needed to improve on this year. We spent a lot of energy filling holes with guys who are not only not elite...they often are downright horrible. We will win by piling up points and winning games 38-31 or 42 -35. Okay as long as we are winning but at some point the defense has to pull its fair share. History proves the playoffs are not the same as the regular season. Defense needs to be at least average...and they are anything but. You may be right...as the season progresses there may be improvements. Nobody wants you to be more right about that than me.

We add Fuller at CB, but lose Peters and were forced to find a cheap one year band aid until we could address it for real next offseason. But even there 4 of our 5 roster guys are very young at 22, 22, 23 and 25   

We draft Watts at safety in the fourth round but lose Berry and Sorenson and are forced to bring Parker back as band aid.  The late trade for Lucas looks promising though.

I think the Nnadi-Williams combo inside looks promising too.  But we need to draft a safety early that can do a lot of what Berry does  

Hitchens is the only position that we were able to flat fill in short term and it’s not working so far. That’s either on Veach or Sutton. 

The rest we either knew it would take some development time, another offseason or injuries are killing us at that spot. 

Goes back to what I believed all offseason that Veach didn’t have resources to rebuild defense mainly through the draft yet. What is important though is that a few of those drafted last April like Nnadi, ODaniel and Speaks start producing something tangible the second half of this year. Watts was certainly starting to flash before that injury.   

On 10/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, wilkie said:

8 and 8

:lol:  What are you smoking?

I like the way things are shaping up.  As we move out of the most difficult part of the schedule, we will start getting some injured guys back, like Sorenson and others.  Who knows?  Berry?  With a little luck on injuries going forward, dominance may be in the cards by the time playoffs roll around.  The players (and fans) have something we have never before had in the playoffs - confidence in a QB to bring them back from a deficit.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:24 AM, dhitter said:

i think that is what will be the Achilles heel- if Mahomes and the Offense cannot score, a good offense (like the Pats have) can beat you.

The Bengals was not a good test- Bad Andy, Bad Marvin and bade defense all showed up at the same time.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

i think that is what will be the Achilles heel- if Mahomes and the Offense cannot score, a good offense (like the Pats have) can beat you.

The Bengals was not a good test- Bad Andy, Bad Marvin and bade defense all showed up at the same time.

Anytime we beat the hell out of a team, it's always because the other team had a bad day.....I guess the chiefs are just lucky, and have been on the receiving end of 6 teams that had "BAD GAMES".

Geez...

19 minutes ago, artsy said:

Anytime we beat the hell out of a team, it's always because the other team had a bad day.....I guess the chiefs are just lucky, and have been on the receiving end of 6 teams that had "BAD GAMES".

Geez...

Not at all....I pointed out one game and you revert to "anytime".....slow yer roll

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Or is it possible the Chiefs made Andy, Marvin and Cincy's defense bad?  

4 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Or is it possible the Chiefs made Andy, Marvin and Cincy's defense bad?  

Absolutely it is! Andy Reid is not some crap coach- he is a proven commodity as a HC with great offensive schemes and creative playcalling. His in game management and clock management are the only things he has been criticized (and rightly so in some instances) for over the years....

Archived