Serious Question: Is everyone "OK" wiht the loss

I'm never "fine" with a loss. But some losses are less painful than others. We went into Foxboro and went toe to toe with the defending conference champs. Actually had opportunities to put up more points. If we played mistake free as the Pats we would have won. And there is a huge reason why Brady & Co. looked so nonchalant in their final drive. No burning time outs. No running out of bounds. No hurrying up to the line to preserve time. Time is the last thing they wanted Mahomes to have after they scored. It was obvious he shook them up with that quick strike to Hill. How many teams can strike that fast? Not many.

No one thought we would go undefeated. In fact, most on here called this a learning year and could be a wash until 2019. Now I can easily see the Chiefs winning 12-13 games and taking the division even with this atrocious defense. We get guys like Houston and Berry back and this team will be a tougher out than they are already.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

since its Mahomes 7th game

some still consider him a rookie

he hung 40 on the Pats in Gillette

Watkins hasn't show up

Kelce was doubled

Defense was horrible

I mean why is all of this okay to you all? Seems like there is a some protection of Mahomes going on

Never okay with a loss but I've accepted it. The Chiefs hung 40 points for the 3rd time since 2013. That usually would result in a win. How many other teams can claim such a feat?

Protecting Mahomes? LMAO. Yeah okay. Chiefs lost because their defense is a dumpster fire. Funny you would mention "protection" for Mahomes when you post the Browns are better than you think while defending the Ravens loss to them. Are you "protecting" Flaccos inability to produce against the Browns? Lol.

Yes the Browns are a much better team than we are accustomed to, but they are not the Patriots. That's for damn sure!

16 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

since its Mahomes 7th game

some still consider him a rookie

he hung 40 on the Pats in Gillette

Watkins hasn't show up

Kelce was doubled

Defense was horrible

I mean why is all of this okay to you all? Seems like there is a some protection of Mahomes going on

From the same guy who defends his team losing to the Browns with the constant 'they're better than you think' argument.  Seems like you also are trying to justify a loss, so what's the point of you trying to deflect on us?  Why would you keep using that argument for the Browns, are you trying to 'protect' someone as well? 🙄

16 hours ago, xen said:

Any complaints you have about our awesome QB will have an implicit comparison to your "definition of mediocre" QB.  And if it's not implicit, trust me I'll make it explicit.

I never complained....I asked a question. There were multiple reasons given why the fans in here were "Ok" with the loss...

16 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Because they beat Baltimore and tied Pittsburgh? Or because they lost to Chokeland, Chargers and the Saints? Yes they best the erratic Jets. They've broken the 21 point once against Chokeland and lost.

Not saying they aren't improved, kind of hard not to improve on 1-31.

No because of the way they did it. The loss to Oakland was stolen by the refs- that was some BS.

12 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Never okay with a loss but I've accepted it. The Chiefs hung 40 points for the 3rd time since 2013. That usually would result in a win. How many other teams can claim such a feat?

Protecting Mahomes? LMAO. Yeah okay. Chiefs lost because their defense is a dumpster fire. Funny you would mention "protection" for Mahomes when you post the Browns are better than you think while defending the Ravens loss to them. Are you "protecting" Flaccos inability to produce against the Browns? Lol.

Yes the Browns are a much better team than we are accustomed to, but they are not the Patriots. That's for damn sure!

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

From the same guy who defends his team losing to the Browns with the constant 'they're better than you think' argument.  Seems like you also are trying to justify a loss, so what's the point of you trying to deflect on us?  Why would you keep using that argument for the Browns, are you trying to 'protect' someone as well? 🙄

Well, playing the Browns twice a year since 99 tells me more than watching an occasional game. My comment about the Browns being better than you think is a testament to the improvement they have shown. Dorsey is getting them some players for sure.  That defense features alot of high draft picks.

Justifying that loss is not the intention. But since you asked: Offense played horribly there. 1 bad game on a 3 game road trip. Defense didn't allow points but Mayfield threw for 358yds. Unconscionable.

Bottom line is that no Chiefs fan is okay with a loss, but the NE loss was predictable and hurt less than one to a division rival or a game against a big underdog.  And yes, CLE could beat the Chiefs.  Any team has a chance, but it's not likely to happen barring more crippling injuries.

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Well, playing the Browns twice a year since 99 tells me more than watching an occasional game. My comment about the Browns being better than you think is a testament to the improvement they have shown. Dorsey is getting them some players for sure.  That defense features alot of high draft picks.

Justifying that loss is not the intention. But since you asked: Offense played horribly there. 1 bad game on a 3 game road trip. Defense didn't allow points but Mayfield threw for 358yds. Unconscionable.

The Browns are much better than they were.

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Depends on where the bar was set.  😀

Wait until you get to be my age.

I think I already am...maybe. :lol:

As for the actual thread, the Chiefs are gong to beat any team with a lesser defense than NE and any QB worse than Brady, a coach worse than Bellichick, and/or by playing  at home.  That's all I take away from this loss. How anyone could seriously get upset about this game is beyond me. The Chiefs have the attitude of a champion, but so far, it doesn't look like the fans do...at least on this forum.

I posted before the season that Butker was probably going to win one or two games for us.  He almost did in NE.  I still think he will win one or two for us.  This partly neutralizes our weakness on D.  Special teams are fully 1/3 of the game IMO.  But obviously the loss of DAT hurts, and we are not yet a complete team.  We will be after the next draft.

I do believe that Sutton has the wrong approach.  He should allow the occasional TD bomb and instead send the safeties in to bolster the run defense and allow Hitchens and Ragland to shoot the gaps.  The long runs and running first downs are keeping our offense off the field and the D too long on it. With our D, I think that is exactly the wrong approach

I'm not okay with the loss, but it's the Pats in Foxborough. Pat missed some passes and threw a couple interceptions, but the kids played lights out to bring us back. And for most of us younger folks, the best QB we have ever had was Joe on his last legs. It is a GREAT feeling to now we have a Franchise qb that is playing for us. Uncharted territory for chief fans. A qb who can make up for short comings in other areas. Defense this bad is what's frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I do believe that Sutton has the wrong approach.  He should allow the occasional TD bomb and instead send the safeties in to bolster the run defense and allow Hitchens and Ragland to shoot the gaps.  The long runs and running first downs are keeping our offense off the field and the D too long on it. With our D, I think that is exactly the wrong approach

At the time I think it was gronk at the end of the game. I held out we should of just let him get the td and give us i think over a min for pat to tie/win with 2pt conversion.

7 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think I already am...maybe. :lol:

As for the actual thread, the Chiefs are gong to beat any team with a lesser defense than NE and any QB worse than Brady, a coach worse than Bellichick, and/or by playing  at home.  That's all I take away from this loss. How anyone could seriously get upset about this game is beyond me. The Chiefs have the attitude of a champion, but so far, it doesn't look like the fans do...at least on this forum.

I posted before the season that Butker was probably going to win one or two games for us.  He almost did in NE.  I still think he will win one or two for us.  This partly neutralizes our weakness on D.  Special teams are fully 1/3 of the game IMO.  But obviously the loss of DAT hurts, and we are not yet a complete team.  We will be after the next draft.

Agree about Butker.  Some of the other teams' kickers are a disaster and the Chiefs seem to have a special one.

Disagree about DAT.  Smith did more in Sunday's game than DAT has in any game.  Maybe DAT can cover punts better, who knows, but with the high powered offense, how many times/game will the Chiefs be punting.  DAT is a wasted roster space and far as I can see.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, reesebobby said:

Well, none of us expected to win 16 games.  This was foreseeable as a possible loss.  It was a very close game and there were things to be positive about.  It's not like we lost to the Browns. 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:04 PM, dhitter said:

I'm never "fine" with a loss. But some losses are less painful than others. We went into Foxboro and went toe to toe with the defending conference champs. Actually had opportunities to put up more points. If we played mistake free as the Pats we would have won. And there is a huge reason why Brady & Co. looked so nonchalant in their final drive. No burning time outs. No running out of bounds. No hurrying up to the line to preserve time. Time is the last thing they wanted Mahomes to have after they scored. It was obvious he shook them up with that quick strike to Hill. How many teams can strike that fast? Not many.

No one thought we would go undefeated. In fact, most on here called this a learning year and could be a wash until 2019. Now I can easily see the Chiefs winning 12-13 games and taking the division even with this atrocious defense. We get guys like Houston and Berry back and this team will be a tougher out than they are already.

Both of these.  You're never okay with a loss, but there are gut-punch, rage-inducing losses and there are semi-expected and/or palatable losses.  This was in the latter camp.  The only frustrating part was that we were in position to win and the defense blew it.  But the way we came back was encouraging, and there were lots of fun moments.  Even the discussion the next day by the pundits was "these are the two best teams in the AFC, we'll probably see this in the playoffs."

I'll add this as well:  I would almost rather lose early like this than start off 9-0 or 10-0 and then fall apart like we did in 2003 and 2013.  Again not OKAY with the loss, but accepting that we will lose at some point this was as good of a time, and in as good of a way, as any.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Agree about Butker.  Some of the other teams' kickers are a disaster and the Chiefs seem to have a special one.

Disagree about DAT.  Smith did more in Sunday's game than DAT has in any game.  Maybe DAT can cover punts better, who knows, but with the high powered offense, how many times/game will the Chiefs be punting.  DAT is a wasted roster space and far as I can see.

DAT is an OK kick returner, but his main excellence is as a tackler when we are punting or kicking.  He is tough as nails and is maybe the best tackler and blocker on ST's, and one of the best on the entire team.  It seems like you are judging DAT only by his returns.  That's a mistake.

Junior Hemingway was probably the best ST player of the last decade for the Chiefs. Got to every punt with perfect timing, was a great blocker, and tackled really well. He's gone and we don't miss him as much. IMO unless a player is really a difference maker as a returner I don't think they have much value on the roster as a pure ST guy. If DAT has value as a receiver then his ST contributions are nice to have but unless the first part is done I wouldn't miss him at all. 

I'm OK with it, considering the circumstances.  Belichick had 10 days to prepare, home field, the refs only flagging them twice (one declined and one offsetting), and Mahomes missing a few TD throws.  They still needed a last second FG to win.  Put it on a neutral field and we win, easily.

I also don't agree with them jumping us in the power rankings.  Not that I care what the "experts" think anyway.  But, KC is a better team, regardless of the "weighted" head to head.

11 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

DAT is an OK kick returner, but his main excellence is as a tackler when we are punting or kicking.  He is tough as nails and is maybe the best tackler and blocker on ST's, and one of the best on the entire team.  It seems like you are judging DAT only by his returns.  That's a mistake.

Look at the numbers.  Smith had returns that were game changing.  DAT much less so on more chances.  So for kickoffs and punts Smith can replace DAT and maybe learn a position as a DB.  As for punt/kick coverage, DAT can't earn his spot for only that.  In six games, the Chiefs have punted 16 times. In all but six cases, the receiver called for a fair catch or the punt went out of bounds or in the end zone.  That leaves one instance per game where a punt coverage guy had an influence.  You might argue that the sight of DAT bearing down on the receiver forced the fair catch, but that's pretty thin.  On kickoffs, nearly all are touch backs.  My points is that even if DAT is a coverage wizard, it doesn't matter all that often.  We haven't seen Smith on punt returns, but that job has fallen on Hill with DAT being a decoy on a few occasions.  Smith could do that as well.

Archived