Houston, Berry Out

4 hours ago, dksww said:

I never understand the animosity fans have towards players when they get hurt.  It's almost as if those fans think this is what the player wants and is picking up a free paycheck.

Even cutting them next season costs way too much and then you gotta go spend more money to get them replaced.  Not smart at all.

Just let these guys get healthy, give them 2019 to prove it on the field.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but the Chiefs are not cutting them until spring of 2020 at the earliest and even then it's still going to be expensive.

Good point. Houston basically had his arm almost pulled off in the game vs SD.  Then a completely separate  knee injury our staff  completely botched and cost him more time. And now a few weeks with hammy. I’m not at all wanting to potentially cut Houston because of that but rather reality he’s a good player being paid like he’s elite. 

Berry could very easily have another really good year or two in him and we have to pay for him anyway so why not let it play out while drafting another versatile guy to cover our asses or even pair with him. If he was in Houston’s CAP saving scenario I might think differently, but he isn’t. 

10 hours ago, dksww said:

I never understand the animosity fans have towards players when they get hurt.  It's almost as if those fans think this is what the player wants and is picking up a free paycheck.

Even cutting them next season costs way too much and then you gotta go spend more money to get them replaced.  Not smart at all.

Just let these guys get healthy, give them 2019 to prove it on the field.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but the Chiefs are not cutting them until spring of 2020 at the earliest and even then it's still going to be expensive.

It’s interesting and also unbelievably uncanny that you are capable of understanding the emotions of others based solely on typed words.  Nobody is mad at anyone.  Frustrated?  Yes, because our $100 mil man hasn’t been consistently on the field since he got his contract, and hasn’t been the same guy when he’s been on the field.  Berry gets a pass because of the cancer thing, but my God, the Chiefs saying he’s still day-to-day is disingenuous at best and flat-out untrue at worst.   

17 hours ago, Legend of AC said:

It’s interesting and also unbelievably uncanny that you are capable of understanding the emotions of others based solely on typed words.  Nobody is mad at anyone.  Frustrated?  Yes, because our $100 mil man hasn’t been consistently on the field since he got his contract, and hasn’t been the same guy when he’s been on the field.  Berry gets a pass because of the cancer thing, but my God, the Chiefs saying he’s still day-to-day is disingenuous at best and flat-out untrue at worst.   

Frustrated/mad enough to be willing to eat $30 million to cut them before 2019 season starts.  They're not getting cut and shouldn't be.  They deserve the chance to ride out these injuries and it's makes 0 sense to cut them financially.  

2 hours ago, dksww said:

Frustrated/mad enough to be willing to eat $30 million to cut them before 2019 season starts.  They're not getting cut and shouldn't be.  They deserve the chance to ride out these injuries and it's makes 0 sense to cut them financially.  

I agree that it doesn’t...yet.  But at some point you have to make tough decisions to move the team forward.  Both of their deals don’t get any cap-friendlier any time soon.  So, what?

2 hours ago, dksww said:

Personally, I don't care how much a player gets paid. Anyone who does must be against employees getting what they can from their employer. I'm sure everyone in here probably believes they are underpaid or paid just right.

If any of you believe you're overpaid then I'm sure your company and coworkers wouldn't mind you paying back some of your pay.

3 hours ago, Legend of AC said:

I agree that it doesn’t...yet.  But at some point you have to make tough decisions to move the team forward.  Both of their deals don’t get any cap-friendlier any time soon.  So, what?

Yes, they do, that's the whole point you're missing.  It's too expensive to cut them now or in 2019.  The deals make it a little better/affordable to cut them in 2020.  That's why it's dumb to cut them any sooner.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:24 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

So your opinion is that we should cut a player in Berry that has a 13 million dollar cap number and a 29 million dollar dead cap number?

Put very simply, it will cost 16 million dollars more to release him than keep him. It doesnt matter how many times I post this, people just do not get it. 

With him healthy in 2019, you have a very good SS with a very big cap number.  With him injured in 2019, you have no productivity and a cap number that is hard to swallow. Releasing him in 2019, you have no player at all, and a crippling nearly 30 million dollar cap number.

Eric Berry is going to be a Chief in 2019 unless he retires or we find the stupidest GM in NFL history willing to trade for him. Maybe we should ring John Dorsey. 

Money is the only reason he will be back.  If not for that terrible contract, he'd already be gone.  Great guy, great story, great player, but misses more games than he's played.  One of the worst contracts in the NFL by a long shot. 

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Yes, they do, that's the whole point you're missing.  It's too expensive to cut them now or in 2019.  The deals make it a little better/affordable to cut them in 2020.  That's why it's dumb to cut them any sooner.

They absolutely do. Most big deals are structured with escalating cap numbers and decreasing dead cap numbers. He knows that. Hes just venting.

• 3 weeks later...

24 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Whether Houston plays or not, we can expect to see a lot of Breeland.  The Chiefs won't use Houston that much after four weeks off IMHO.

Apparently looked good today and felt good after practice. I'd image he will start and split time with Speaks situationally. Speaks has been solid in some situations but brutal in others such as covering RBs last week LOL....

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would imagine he gets some lighter work and target after the bye week as the full return. With him back we should be able to stop runs to the right at the least which is a dire need at this point. 

I bet he plays on the other side though and we keep Ford on the left side of the defense. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Mloe68 said:

Mitch Morse is out as well which could be a big problem against Geno Atkins (who I think is the best interior lineman in the AFC). They have their own share of injuries too though and just had to activate Kevari Russell of all people. 

How many concussions is this for Morse?  Each one gets worse, because those are how concussions are.  He is still having symptoms.  If I were him, I would consider a new job selling insurance. I want him to be able to remember his own name when he is 45.

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

How many concussions is this for Morse?  Each one gets worse, because those are how concussions are.  He is still having symptoms.  If I were him, I would consider a new job selling insurance. I want him to be able to remember his own name when he is 45.

Agree completely.  He should retire but this second contract payday is supposed to be the one that sets him up for life.  But I’m certainly not paying that if I’m the Chiefs and I doubt anyone else would now either. 

I want someone to tell me just how in the hell restructuring berrys contract, at this point is going to help in the least? The money is already paid.. even if he gave part of his signing  bonus back, it would still count against the cap. The same is true with houston. In short bitching about it is all you can do. If you believe that having them on the 53 is hurting the team, you can put them on the one of the many aint gonna play lists.. but the cap it is a pro ration of money that both guys have already gotten.

Modifying there existing contracts, pay cuts whatever, will not change the money that is still owed to the cap not the player..... the cap.. (no it isnt real money) just an accounting issue.

There is also an issue with cutting there salaries in  a restructure... as, there salary has to reflect a certain percentage of that number, or it will accelerate the payment of the cap, I.e. the next years cap hit will be moved forward..

If they where to retire, even on an injury settlement .. This accelerates the cap hit...

In short, there is no workable argument here.

As far as Morse goes, This isnt looking good... nope not at all..

Archived