Hats off to the defense

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of you football experts did our approach change?  Because tonight looked different.   We were aggressive it seems instead of reluctant and tentative.    Did Sutton do what he did last year and simplify some things to allow guys to play more down hill?    Also the pass rush was getting a pretty good push all night   Speaks looked good, Ford is making Veach's life a living hell, and Chris Jones is a beast.    Scandrick has gotten better and better and we have found some legit depth with Jordan Lucas when Berry and Sorenson get back.  Bob should be ashamed about not playing Odaniels more.  Kid has some spunk and fire.    We shut down a very very potent offense with some elite playmakers at every skill position tonight.   

Super pumped with the win tonight!

O'Daniel ended up with 4 tackles in a brief amount of time.  The Coaches have to see this and get him on the field going forward.

I'm starting to wonder if the Chiefs' defense sand bagged the first 6 games with all the injuries and unknowns about the young guys.

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

For all of you football experts did our approach change?  Because tonight looked different.   We were aggressive it seems instead of reluctant and tentative.    Did Sutton do what he did last year and simplify some things to allow guys to play more down hill?    Also the pass rush was getting a pretty good push all night   Speaks looked good, Ford is making Veach's life a living hell, and Chris Jones is a beast.    Scandrick has gotten better and better and we have found some legit depth with Jordan Lucas when Berry and Sorenson get back.  Bob should be ashamed about not playing Odaniels more.  Kid has some spunk and fire.    We shut down a very very potent offense with some elite playmakers at every skill position tonight.   

Super pumped with the win tonight!

You pretty much nailed it on the head.  Everything seems to have came together tonight on defense and it can only get better when Berry, Houston and Sorenson come back.

4 minutes ago, dksww said:

the defense only gave up 231 yards and I want to add the offense did a great job of going on long drives to keep them rested.

Andy seems to be working Kareem Hunt in the offense more effectively.   Wonder how defenses are playing our offense now as well?  Are they covering deeper to protect against those fast easy scores?   Funny that, that might actually play better into our hands.   It seems like the only time we don't score is if make a mistake.   Its gotten to the point I think we will score a TD every time we touch the ball and get a little disappointed when we don't lol.

I think it was a new defense th aw t qere needing time to get

They did not get to do so in preseason

Think about it, both ILB were hampered with injuries and did not play much

The safety position was all new without Sorensen and Berry and the fact we have used pretty much rookies there since. The CB positions were new. Scandrick was picked up last pre season game and Fuller was in a new position outside and also ti the defense. All that we had solid was d line and Nnadi was new to that too. Throw in the fact of killer early schedule and seeing HOF type QBs and you get what we had.

1. Ragland looked faster tonight both in run defense and in chasing down Dalton

2 The Chiefs may have something in Lucas, Speaks, and O'Daniel.  Can't wait for Berry and Watts next season.

3. The defense certainly played off the fervent Arrowhead crowd.  Hard not to be fired up there.

4. Give Sutton credit for having the right scheme in against an above average offense.  Of course, it didn't hurt that the Chiefs had the lead.

5. This is probably the worst and most banged up defense the Chiefs will play this season.  Glad they took advantage.

6. IF, a big if, Berry and Houston return and can play up to their history, the Chiefs will be the team no other coach wants to face.

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

2 The Chiefs may have something in Lucas, Speaks, and O'Daniel.  Can't wait for Berry and Watts next season.

3. The defense certainly played off the fervent Arrowhead crowd.  Hard not to be fired up there.

4. Give Sutton credit for having the right scheme in against an above average offense.  Of course, it didn't hurt that the Chiefs had the lead.

5. This is probably the worst and most banged up defense the Chiefs will play this season.  Glad they took advantage.

6. IF, a big if, Berry and Houston return and can play up to their history, the Chiefs will be the team no other coach wants to face.

This sums it up accurately for me.

27 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Its unrealistic to expect this every week but if we can be more like this we have a legit shot at a SB this year and every year moving forward if Pat is healthy.

The Chiefs won't go up against the Bengals' defense every week, but their offense can score on anyone.  Who does the opposing DC focus on in game prep?  Conley, Robinson, and Harris got into the act and Ware is a threat.  Most fun watching a KC team since the 2015 Royals.  Great to have a team to root for that actually seems to be having fun and winning at the same time.

I was as shocked as anyone at how the defense stepped up against the Bengals. But I have to remind myself of a couple of things. Chiefs play better at Arrowhead. The thing that will get the defense some love on a national level is consistency. This effort was not just an improvement...it was amazing. But pundits will pawn it off more about it being an off night for the Bengals offense as opposed to our defense stepping up. The remedy is to replicate it again next week against Denver and beyond.

11 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I was as shocked as anyone at how the defense stepped up against the Bengals. But I have to remind myself of a couple of things. Chiefs play better at Arrowhead. The thing that will get the defense some love on a national level is consistency. This effort was not just an improvement...it was amazing. But pundits will pawn it off more about it being an off night for the Bengals offense as opposed to our defense stepping up. The remedy is to replicate it again next week against Denver and beyond.

That two headed attack in the Denver backfield is very very good.

i want to see O’daniel and Hitchens together. If they can stop them, it will be an easy win. If they struggle it will be tight again.

15 minutes ago, Calichief said:

That two headed attack in the Denver backfield is very very good.

i want to see O’daniel and Hitchens together. If they can stop them, it will be an easy win. If they struggle it will be tight again.

We'll see if Freeman plays since he sustained a high-ankle sprain. 

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

Speaks looked good. 

Odaniel is real

ford is on fire

Great summary.  I would say that the tackling is about 500% better.  They are wrapping up guys, playing with aggression. That is making the young guys have some costly penalties, but not that many considering. nelson was good and getting better. I really do like the steady improvement of nelson.  Scandrick is much better on the outside than in the slot.  I like how they are using him.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Also a great summary.  Ragland does seem to be fully recuperated now.  Much faster.  Hard hitter.  I think the Chiefs already are the team no other coach wants to face.  Getting a lead early is huge for the defense.

Archived