Hats off to the defense

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 hours ago, Calichief said:

That two headed attack in the Denver backfield is very very good.

i want to see O’daniel and Hitchens together. If they can stop them, it will be an easy win. If they struggle it will be tight again.

Denver is totally opposite when playing away from home. They do not play well on the road and no tougher place to play than in Arrowhead. Plus when they had us before Mahomes learned and continues to learn as defenses throw anything and everything at him to stop him. Try the same scheme they did before and watch him light it up.

My big concern is the run defense. They looked dramatically better last night. 

If we can keep that up, we're good and will go deep into the playoffs. 

If our run d is ineffective, that's how teams can beat us. Run the ball and keep our d tired and our offense off the field.  

5 minutes ago, hankstromboli said:

If our run d is ineffective, that's how teams can beat us. Run the ball and keep our d tired and our offense off the field.  

Agree.  That's why I'm so hoping that Ragland's better game last night wasn't a one time thing or just an illusion.  If he plays like he did at the end of last season, the run D will be less the liability.  Something I missed last night was how the NT position was divided.  Who played most and who was most effective?  X. Williams or Nnadi?

I wish I could tell you who played better but didn't notice.   I did see tackling was vastly better - no arm tackles. Chiefs got a ton of penetration from their d line. 
Ragland looked great - attacked down field all night. Also hitchens was trucking people too. it was almost like watching a different team. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  That's why I'm so hoping that Ragland's better game last night wasn't a one time thing or just an illusion.  If he plays like he did at the end of last season, the run D will be less the liability.  Something I missed last night was how the NT position was divided.  Who played most and who was most effective?  X. Williams or Nnadi?

Nnadi got the start, and looked pretty good.

Me like everyone else has been begging for DOD. I just hate that it takes an injury to get these young guys on the field. It not for Murray or Terrance Smith or last year with Spencer Ware, we don't get a chance to see the young guys. I really hate that about Reid/Sutton.

I also want to see Tremon Smith at CB. I wonder if he can play better than Nelson on the outside. Nelson, is always holding and grabbing because he get's beat all the time.

BJ Kissel‏Verified account @ChiefsReporter

#Bengals WR AJ Green said after the game that the #Chiefs' defense did a lot of stuff on Sunday night that they hadn't yet seen on film, specifically a lot of "two-man" and "bailing" at the line of scrimmage. Less press coverage. "They switched up some things."

I think they had a chip on their shoulders after the NE loss. Everyone stepped it up and it wasn’t scheme. D line, ILB, CB all seemed to play fast and aggressive. Are they as good as yesterday suggests, no. Does this inspire them to believe in them selves more and react faster? Definitely. I think we saw them turn a corner and start demanding some respect. 

Just watching Hitch and Rags. Lucas and Nelson. The attitude was great. The D line, just no quit. They have a chance to be much better. 

Loved that O’Daniel flew around like he did. What is he? 220? Reckless abandon taking advantage of his chance. Good for him.

great day for all those guys.

9 hours ago, artsy said:

Me like everyone else has been begging for DOD. I just hate that it takes an injury to get these young guys on the field. It not for Murray or Terrance Smith or last year with Spencer Ware, we don't get a chance to see the young guys. I really hate that about Reid/Sutton.

I also want to see Tremon Smith at CB. I wonder if he can play better than Nelson on the outside. Nelson, is always holding and grabbing because he get's beat all the time.

Steven NelsonKansas City Chiefs– 92.6

Nelson delivered on a big night for the Chiefs, allowing just two receptions for 33 yards from six targets and 34 snaps in coverage. He also forced two incompletions with pass breakups, finishing the game having allowed a passer rating of 52.8. Nelson has steadily improved his grade is now the 21st ranked cornerback in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:
Steven NelsonKansas City Chiefs– 92.6

Nelson delivered on a big night for the Chiefs, allowing just two receptions for 33 yards from six targets and 34 snaps in coverage. He also forced two incompletions with pass breakups, finishing the game having allowed a passer rating of 52.8. Nelson has steadily improved his grade is now the 21st ranked cornerback in the NFL.  

Yeah hes been solid. Rather him be a 3rd or 4th corner, but it is what it is. He's a starter.

22 hours ago, Calichief said:

That two headed attack in the Denver backfield is very very good.

i want to see O’daniel and Hitchens together. If they can stop them, it will be an easy win. If they struggle it will be tight again.

Good point and I agree.

The only thing that worries me was the comment by AJ Green.  They prepared for one thing and were thrown off at first by our D and then found themselves in a hole.  I guess its possible that can continue to work but more than likely teams will now be prepared for both scenarios and how to better attack that.   Only time will tell and I hope with time our D will continue to get better and gel and be tougher come playoff time.  

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah hes been solid. Rather him be a 3rd or 4th corner, but it is what it is. He's a starter.

It's a contract year for him which is always a boost but has been good over the last couple years WHEN HEALTHY. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a nice deal in FA. We generally overlook but currently Fuller is the only CB under contract for 2019 that is not a late round rookie, the position is a need.

22 hours ago, artsy said:

Sam MellingerVerified account @mellinger

Steven Nelson was the Chiefs' top graded player against the Bengals, according to @PFF. In the last four weeks, they've got him giving up just 10 catches on 29 targets. No scores.

21 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

BJ Kissel‏Verified account @ChiefsReporter

#Bengals WR AJ Green said after the game that the #Chiefs' defense did a lot of stuff on Sunday night that they hadn't yet seen on film, specifically a lot of "two-man" and "bailing" at the line of scrimmage. Less press coverage. "They switched up some things."

Big props to Bob Sutton for a good game plan.  But he’s gotta keep mixing it up and help the undertalented defense more rather than expose it more with predictabability.  

16 minutes ago, dksww said:

Steven Nelson was the Chiefs' top graded player against the Bengals, according to @PFF. In the last four weeks, they've got him giving up just 10 catches on 29 targets. No scores.

I think corners have held up pretty well considering they’ve had such spotty safety play supporting them. 

34 minutes ago, dksww said:

Wow, he did look good but didn't know he was this good. Those are shutdown numbers 

On 10/22/2018 at 7:32 AM, hankstromboli said:

Big Leads are the reason the run defense looks a little better. Forcing teams out of a ball control approach.

Archived