Race for Homefield

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think it ends in Arrowhead in heartbreaking fashion. We will get "Suttoned". I think the game against NE is a really good example of the kind of playoff loss we can expect. Its ok because I didnt think that we'd be this good, this soon anyway. We get our defense fixed, and this team can be a juggernaut.

After last night's performance, you don't think the defensive effort can be repeated going forward?

I was very encouraged by what I saw last night.  Sutton never went soft and stayed aggressive.  I hope the trend continues because whatever changes were made;  play calling/personnel, it worked great. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dksww said:

Their other road games have been blowout losses as well to BAL and NYJ.  I think the trend continues this Sunday.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  Home games for Denver:  two close wins (to bad teams) and two close losses (to good teams, including us).  Road games for Denver:  two double-digit losses against meh teams and a blowout win against a dumpster fire team.  There is always the chance for a letdown, but I think 9/10 times we win comfortably.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think it ends in Arrowhead in heartbreaking fashion. We will get "Suttoned". I think the game against NE is a really good example of the kind of playoff loss we can expect. Its ok because I didnt think that we'd be this good, this soon anyway. We get our defense fixed, and this team can be a juggernaut.

It's not impossible this season ends in Arrowhead in a heartbreaker, but I think you've got too much baggage with the history.  This is a VERY different team.  There is no way this ends like 1995, 1997, 2006, 2010, 2016, or 2017 (all of those were home games except for 2006; also, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing all of those out).  We won't be in those types of games; we're not at all that type of team.  It might end like the SNF game against the Patriots, that would be closest to 2003, where neither team can stop the other, and it comes down to some randomness.  But that would be very different than the last two years at least.  I also don't think we have a 2013-type of collapse in us; despite Reid's history, there's no way we let a team come back by 28 points without our offense getting rolling again.

It won't be 1995 over again evens if the Chiefs finish 13-3.  No way does this team score only 7 points, no way do they hold a playoff team to 10 points, and no way does Butker miss three makable field goals.

Denver should be a win this coming weekend.  Maybe they can figure a way for Miller to get around Shwartz or Chubb gets hot, but the Chiefs are 10 point favorites and have beaten the spread every week.  I was more worried about Cincy and JAX than about the Donks.  Of course, I'm usually wrong. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It won't be 1995 over again evens if the Chiefs finish 13-3.  No way does this team score only 7 points, no way do they hold a playoff team to 10 points, and no way does Butker miss three makable field goals.

Denver should be a win this coming weekend.  Maybe they can figure a way for Miller to get around Shwartz or Chubb gets hot, but the Chiefs are 10 point favorites and have beaten the spread every week.  I was more worried about Cincy and JAX than about the Donks.  Of course, I'm usually wrong. 

Donkeys have three extra days to prepare/rest and have to be a little confident they can hang with us after the game earlier this month. I'm taking nothing for granted. Key will be to do a better job vs run than we did in first meeting!

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Donkeys have three extra days to prepare/rest and have to be a little confident they can hang with us after the game earlier this month. I'm taking nothing for granted. Key will be to do a better job vs run than we did in first meeting!

Guess it all depends on where they want to spend their capital.  Before the season, I would have agreed with you.  No way did most of us expect to be 6-1 with the easier part of the schedule coming up.  Only the most blatant homers even mentioned the Super Bowl for this season.  Now the Chiefs look to be in contention and aren't that far from an immediate shot.  The Royals traded off their future for Cuetar and Zobrist and won a World Series. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  But trading a first for a top player in an area of need doesn't cancel the future even if the Chiefs go one and done.  The upside is huge, especially if the Chiefs know that Houston and Berry will be back.  Sometimes one has to roll the dice.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

It's not impossible this season ends in Arrowhead in a heartbreaker, but I think you've got too much baggage with the history.  This is a VERY different team.  There is no way this ends like 1995, 1997, 2006, 2010, 2016, or 2017 (all of those were home games except for 2006; also, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing all of those out).  We won't be in those types of games; we're not at all that type of team.  It might end like the SNF game against the Patriots, that would be closest to 2003, where neither team can stop the other, and it comes down to some randomness.  But that would be very different than the last two years at least.  I also don't think we have a 2013-type of collapse in us; despite Reid's history, there's no way we let a team come back by 28 points without our offense getting rolling again.

With the exception of 2017, every single one of those playoff losses had one common denominator. Our opponent had the better QB. 

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Guess it all depends on where they want to spend their capital.  Before the season, I would have agreed with you.  No way did most of us expect to be 6-1 with the easier part of the schedule coming up.  Only the most blatant homers even mentioned the Super Bowl for this season.  Now the Chiefs look to be in contention and aren't that far from an immediate shot.  The Royals traded off their future for Cuetar and Zobrist and won a World Series. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  But trading a first for a top player in an area of need doesn't cancel the future even if the Chiefs go one and done.  The upside is huge, especially if the Chiefs know that Houston and Berry will be back.  Sometimes one has to roll the dice.

Amazing thing about Cueto is that he was awful here except for two absolutely brilliant gems that both came at critical moments in the postseason and were crucial to the championship run. So there's no doubt one crucial move can be the difference between heartbreak and a championship. Heck for the Eagles last year it was their move to cut Chase Daniel and sign Nick Foles. Problem is in the NFL its much harder to get that impactful play from a guy that doesn't know your system or have any on field chemistry developed in the short term period you need it. But clearly with Veach's interest in Earl Thomas, he was willing to roll the dice in a way that makes sense. Just not sure there's much else out there like that but yes he should always be looking. 

49 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

With the exception of 2017, every single one of those playoff losses had one common denominator. Our opponent had the better QB. 

I'm well aware.  That was a huge factor, but we should have won some of those games.  And I would argue that Mahomes is the best QB in the AFC right now; is it automatic that we are going to win against any team that we play?

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm well aware.  That was a huge factor, but we should have won some of those games.  And I would argue that Mahomes is the best QB in the AFC right now; is it automatic that we are going to win against any team that we play?

Absolutely not automatic. But we play in enough playoff games with the better QB, we are going to win a majority of them. History tells us that. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Vikings, Packers and Steelers.  It's not that simple.  

They didn't exactly dominate Chicago.  It required two special teams TDs and they were still only a yard away from going to overtime.  I believe they'll keep the heat on us but I don't think they are going to win out.

49 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs aren't going to be able to slip once.  The Patriots have a piss easy schedule remaining.

Meh they still player Packers, Titans, Viks and Steelers.  I can see them losing one of those games.

17 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Ive seen every game at Arrowhead since 1991 and the energy of the stadium this year is nothing like I've seen since the early days of the Marty years. Its like everyone can sense we are at the infancy of something special and just want to be a part of it. Very simliar vibe in 2014 with the Royals. 

I was just thinking that, it felt like our homefield advantage was just a myth and we haven't really had it since the 90's.  It sounds like it is on its way back and the crowd sounded so badass on TV the other night.

4 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

I was just thinking that, it felt like our homefield advantage was just a myth and we haven't really had it since the 90's.  It sounds like it is on its way back and the crowd sounded so badass on TV the other night.

Chiefs should win all their remaining home games and two games on the road (CLE and OAK).That leaves @SEA and a neutral site game against the very tough Rams.  13-3 is a realistic prediction but they could slip up in at least one game or they could surprise in one.  Either way, NE has to lose at least once and probably twice in order for the Chiefs to have home field all the way.  Not counting on that.  As long as they whip the Chargers, they'll be in good position.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs should win all their remaining home games and two games on the road (CLE and OAK).That leaves @SEA and a neutral site game against the very tough Rams.  13-3 is a realistic prediction but they could slip up in at least one game or they could surprise in one.  Either way, NE has to lose at least once and probably twice in order for the Chiefs to have home field all the way.  Not counting on that.  As long as they whip the Chargers, they'll be in good position.

I agree...Pretty much focused on the Chargers ATM.  Even if they have had a super easy schedule divisional games are a different beast.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived