USA Today's Top 25 OVERPAID Players

5 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It's not exactly "1 game".  He's the 25th leading wide receiver with 453 and is on pace for nearly 1000 yards.  Frankly, with our remaining schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets it. 

What stat are you using for his 25th ranking? YDS?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

In the team sport aspect, it's 6-1 in 7 games actually and the one game he missed the majority of was the one we had our lowest point output of the year (at Denver).  I mean I wouldn't take a cheaper useless player like Crabtree, at least Watkins is a threat and other teams have to account for it which opens up the offense even more.  

Crabtree three-year deal worth $21 million, including $11 million guaranteed

Watkins three-year, $48 million contract with $30 million fully guaranteed

Watkins  34 rec 453 yds 13.3 avg 3 TDS

Crabtree 38 rec   440yds 11.6 avg

2 TDS

On 10/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, DieHard said:

Not sure I agree with that ranking. Sammy makes much less than Berry or Houston and actually plays.

To be fair Watkins had only one decent season before coming to KC and missed time in all years but his rookie season with injuries. Also never even been remotely close to the success either of the two guys had when healthy. At this point he's doing more than others on that list but doesn't really change the "overpaid" part. Hopefully that won't be a thing for long and we are actually seeing the breakout season from Watkins.

I

11 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

i did not- they did. Its recieving .....

That TE's are doing better than him makes my point. Overpaid

If falling behind the TE's is your barometer, then you're going to have a lot of overpaid wide receivers.  Ertz is on pace for 120 catches for 1300 yards. Same with Kelce only on less grabs.  Kittle is going for about 1200 with shit QB's.  Brown, Landry, Tate, Keenan Allen are all overpaid. 

43 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

2 TDS

Valid point...As is

Mahomes  3,730,000          2,526 yards  26 TDs, 6 INTs   7-1 record

Flacco      24,750,000         2,259 yards   12 TDs, 6 INTs   4-4 record

16 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I

If falling behind the TE's is your barometer, then you're going to have a lot of overpaid wide receivers.  Ertz is on pace for 120 catches for 1300 yards. Same with Kelce only on less grabs.  Kittle is going for about 1200 with shit QB's.  Brown, Landry, Tate, Keenan Allen are all overpaid. 

Whats their salary compared to Watkins.

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Valid point...As is

Mahomes  3,730,000          2,526 yards  26 TDs, 6 INTs   7-1 record

Flacco      24,750,000         2,259 yards   12 TDs, 6 INTs   4-4 record

No one brought those two up- you guys constantly accuse me of trolling when you guys troll the most. i post something about a Chiefs player, positive or negative, and you revert to the "Oh yeah, look at _________ on the Ravens"

Grow up

Whatever. You can't even compare apples to apples. smdh

18 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

2 TDS

Crabtree has had no impact games this year, his highest receiving total in a game was 93 yards and next were in the 60's.  He's made no impact at all, Watkins in one less game played has two 100 yard games and two other games which were higher then Crabtree's second best game.  Again with my initial point, the entire offense has benefited from Watkins being there, especially considering the worst offensive output we had this year was the game Watkins missed.  So yes paying him much more than Crabtree or any other FA wr's who were out there has been worth it. 

In one less game, Watkins has been targeted 49 times and caught 34 passes for an average of 13.3 yards per catch.  Crabtree has been targeted 69 times and only caught 30 for 11.6 yards.  Crabtree hasn't even made an impact while being force-fed the ball while Watkins has been taking advantage of his opportunity.  So yes, again so worth the extra $ we paid for him.

Here's another stat to digest, again in one less game Watkins has 50 more yards rushing then Crabtree. 

22 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Crabtree has had no impact games this year, his highest receiving total in a game was 93 yards and next were in the 60's.  He's made no impact at all, Watkins in one less game played has two 100 yard games and two other games which were higher then Crabtree's second best game.  Again with my initial point, the entire offense has benefited from Watkins being there, especially considering the worst offensive output we had this year was the game Watkins missed.  So yes paying him much more than Crabtree or any other FA wr's who were out there has been worth it. 

In one less game, Watkins has been targeted 49 times and caught 34 passes for an average of 13.3 yards per catch.  Crabtree has been targeted 69 times and only caught 30 for 11.6 yards.  Crabtree hasn't even made an impact while being force-fed the ball while Watkins has been taking advantage of his opportunity.  So yes, again so worth the extra $ we paid for him.

Here's another stat to digest, again in one less game Watkins has 50 more yards rushing then Crabtree. 

I don't think you realize how good the Browns are.  

20 hours ago, sith13 said:

To be fair Watkins had only one decent season before coming to KC and missed time in all years but his rookie season with injuries. Also never even been remotely close to the success either of the two guys had when healthy. At this point he's doing more than others on that list but doesn't really change the "overpaid" part. Hopefully that won't be a thing for long and we are actually seeing the breakout season from Watkins.

Last year no WR on the Chiefs or Rams had more TDs than he did and his cap hit is less than 8 mill. Now next year when it jumps to over 20, I will call him overpaid.  

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

No one brought those two up- you guys constantly accuse me of trolling when you guys troll the most. i post something about a Chiefs player, positive or negative, and you revert to the "Oh yeah, look at _________ on the Ravens"

Grow up

Oh, Yeah?  Look at the posts on the Ravens boards.  😄

On 10/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, sith13 said:

To be fair, he played in buffalo..

9 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Grow up

No you are missing point completely. The Chiefs made the decision to trade away our Joe Flacco contract which opened up opportunity to sign several other players. Nearly anytime you pay a high profile 2nd contract guy you are going to overpay. And in its most simple form we did this with Watkins. But he brings a dynamic to this offense which has helped create its explosiveness and protects us from any single injury bogging down the entire operation. And he's only 25. And we were one of the worst red zone passing teams in the NFL last year where as he is one of the best red zone WRs in the NFL. The QB salary you choose to pay means everything in this discussion.  As such when you tell me Flacco isn't overpaid but Watkins is, it very much is apples to apples because they are all interrelated. 

Meanwhile had you just focused on Hitchens I wouldn't have argued a bit. His role was to make us a better run defense, which we haven't been at all. 

14 hours ago, DieHard said:

Last year no WR on the Chiefs or Rams had more TDs than he did and his cap hit is less than 8 mill. Now next year when it jumps to over 20, I will call him overpaid.  

I think they are focusing on the average value of the contract. His past performance definitely doesn't warrant his current deal and Chiefs paid him based on potential (like Kelce). I'm fine with it since we already have the money until 2021 to pay him but someone calling him overpaid isn't really an insult but stating the situation and definitely wouldn't compare him to players that are proven to be elite in their positions. 

15 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

No you are missing point completely. The Chiefs made the decision to trade away our Joe Flacco contract which opened up opportunity to sign several other players. Nearly anytime you pay a high profile 2nd contract guy you are going to overpay. And in its most simple form we did this with Watkins. But he brings a dynamic to this offense which has helped create its explosiveness and protects us from any single injury bogging down the entire operation. And he's only 25. And we were one of the worst red zone passing teams in the NFL last year where as he is one of the best red zone WRs in the NFL. The QB salary you choose to pay means everything in this discussion.  As such when you tell me Flacco isn't overpaid but Watkins is, it very much is apples to apples because they are all interrelated. 

Meanwhile had you just focused on Hitchens I wouldn't have argued a bit. His role was to make us a better run defense, which we haven't been at all. 

Again, you are missing the point completely. Using Flacco vs Mahomes to justify Watkins doesn't work at all.

I never brought up Flacco vs Mahomes. I never said Joe was not over paid. I have always maintained that the market for QB's is overblown.

But again, I was talking about Watkins being over paid. Someone brought up Crabtree. Then someone else brought up Flacco vs Mahomes.

22 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

Crabtree has had no impact games this year,

So you have watched every Ravens game this year? Or is it just stats that you follow?

I never brought up Crabtree, someone else did.

And lost in your stat sheet is the fact they play in two different offenses with two different offensive philosophies

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think they are focusing on the average value of the contract. His past performance definitely doesn't warrant his current deal and Chiefs paid him based on potential (like Kelce). I'm fine with it since we already have the money until 2021 to pay him but someone calling him overpaid isn't really an insult but stating the situation and definitely wouldn't compare him to players that are proven to be elite in their positions. 

I don't disagree that he is overpaid based on past performance. That wasn't my issue with the list. It is where he fell on the list compared to Berry and Houston.

#4 Sammy Watkins

#17 Justin Houston

#24 Eric Berry

12 hours ago, DieHard said:

I don't disagree that he is overpaid based on past performance. That wasn't my issue with the list. It is where he fell on the list compared to Berry and Houston.

#4 Sammy Watkins

#17 Justin Houston

#24 Eric Berry

Well both are proven players with much better performances and neither got paid this year. It only makes sense to have Watkins way ahead of either guy in the list. When on the field Houston has been able to do much more than Watkins and both guys have been far superior in their careers which justified their contracts. Watkins on the other hand had a lame career before KC and still a questionable name to be paid top 5 WR money. We are all frustrated with Houston & Berry's situation but that's not what the list is about. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

Well both are proven players with much better performances and neither got paid this year. It only makes sense to have Watkins way ahead of either guy in the list. When on the field Houston has been able to do much more than Watkins and both guys have been far superior in their careers which justified their contracts. Watkins on the other hand had a lame career before KC and still a questionable name to be paid top 5 WR money. We are all frustrated with Houston & Berry's situation but that's not what the list is about. 

Watkins has a major role to play in the league's best offense, even with a first year QB.  His numbers won't stack up with the top WRs but neither will Hill or Kelce for the simple reason that the Chiefs have so many targets for Mahomes.  I contend that Watkins doesn't have to get 1000 yards or 12 TD to be a valuable part of the offense.  We saw in the last Denver game that if Hill is over covered, Sammy can receive 100+ and score.  Without him, Hill and Kelce wouldn't be as effective.  Overpaid?  Yes.  Needed in the offense?  Very much so. 

Archived