USA Today's Top 25 OVERPAID Players

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 hours ago, sith13 said:

Well both are proven players with much better performances and neither got paid this year. It only makes sense to have Watkins way ahead of either guy in the list. When on the field Houston has been able to do much more than Watkins and both guys have been far superior in their careers which justified their contracts. Watkins on the other hand had a lame career before KC and still a questionable name to be paid top 5 WR money. We are all frustrated with Houston & Berry's situation but that's not what the list is about. 

Watkins is a 7.8 mill cap hit this year. He has played every game and is on pace for close to 1000 yards. That is not over paid at all.

Berry has a 13 mill cap hit and hasn’t played a snap.

Houston has a 20.6 mill cap hit which is the biggest in the NFL for non QBs. He has 11 combined tackles and 3 sacks. That is 16th best just on this team in tackles. And there are 2 Dlinemen with more sacks.

I just don’t see how by any measure Watkins is more over paid than those to. What am I missing?

9 hours ago, DieHard said:

Watkins is a 7.8 mill cap hit this year. He has played every game and is on pace for close to 1000 yards. That is not over paid at all.

Berry has a 13 mill cap hit and hasn’t played a snap.

Houston has a 20.6 mill cap hit which is the biggest in the NFL for non QBs. He has 11 combined tackles and 3 sacks. That is 16th best just on this team in tackles. And there are 2 Dlinemen with more sacks.

I just don’t see how by any measure Watkins is more over paid than those to. What am I missing?

Cap hit isn't the contract. Watkins has never been a #1 WR who's getting paid 16 million/year (which is what they look at in such lists) that is good for 5th highest in the NFL. Houston is getting paid 16.8 per year (6th highest among edge guys) and has been an elite player to earn that contract. Berry is getting paid 13 million per year (highest Safety) and has been the best Safety in the NFL to earn that deal. A healthy Watkins isn't even comparable to either guy when they are on the field (even Houston's half injured performance this year had more impact).

Watkins is a valuable asset to the Chiefs right now. He's doing a very good job as #2 WR which isn't really #2 in our scheme as pretty much all receivers are closer to #1 guy depending on who's getting the double coverage. However he didn't do anything in his career to earn 5th highest WR money in the NFL. Currently he's on pace for 906 yards and 6 TDs which is a good figure for a solid #2 guy but nowhere near his contract suggests. He's valuable to us right now and we have the cap to absorb it but he sure is massively overpaid. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

It is most over paid in 2018. Not over the course of the contract assuming they play the whole contract. These vet contracts often are never completed or are restructured. Watkins will never see that third year.

Not sure where you get the 2018 part. USA Today makes the same list every year for current NFL contracts rather than that specific season. They had Kelce on that list as well back in the day when he had a lame cap hit after the extension.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Not sure where you get the 2018 part. USA Today makes the same list every year for current NFL contracts rather than that specific season. They had Kelce on that list as well back in the day when he had a lame cap hit after the extension.

Just saying, that is what is relavant to me. Who cares what the numbers are for a player over the life of a contract that he will never see the end of. Reading the article I agree with you that they are referring to total contract.

If the Chiefs win a SB who the hell cares?

Last time I looked, none of us were writing the check.

Watkins is a great weapon that has proven over his career that he can beat single coverage.

Team can not double Kelce and Hill when you look at Watkins and Hunt as threats.

Reid ( & Veach) know a hell of a lot about football and they jumped on Sammy Watkins like nobodies business.

You know who is really happy about this?

1. Patrick

2. Travis

3. Tyreek

4. Kareem...

w

Archived