Very concerning. Giving up over 5 yds a pop easily worse in the league. We may not have the luxury of blowing out to 20 point leads in January. Teams can ground and pound and keep Mahomes and company off the field. Just need to be average. The return of Houston hopefully should help. Our pass rush is legit , but if we give we teams 2nd 2 constantly we won't get off the field. I think Redzone defense and 3rd down will be crucial going forward. Gurley might run for 200. Any ideas? 

Agree.  It's concerning and frustrating.  But I think it's due in part to the gawdy numbers the offense is putting up.  The strategy seems to be to concede the run because that's not going to beat us when we are up 2 touchdowns.  It would be interesting to see how we do against the run in a tight game in running situations.  It seems like when we have to stop the run, we do.  It's just not a priority.  I could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Houston will not help unless they move him to ILB. Our nose tackle rotation has to be the worst in the league too. There are almost always holes  inside the tackles and the LBs are too slow to the hole.

I was thinking why not move Houston to the middle? 

The chiefs run so much damn Nickel defense, that we usually don't have a NT on the field.  The only time we go into our base 3-4 is when the other team lines up with a FB and 2 TE's.  Then, yes our NT's get handled one on one. The don't plug holes or anything.

That allows pulling gurards and FB's to get to our shitty ILB's who are standing there 'waiting" for the play to come to them.

Hitchens and Ragland are not very good. I watched Hitchens constantly get blocked by Denver's TE yesterday. I don't mean lightly blocked, but completely washed out.

I think Hitchens falls into the Amerson category...Veech made a mistake.

13 minutes ago, artsy said:

The chiefs run so much damn Nickel defense, that we usually don't have a NT on the field.  The only time we go into our base 3-4 is when the other team lines up with a FB and 2 TE's.  Then, yes our NT's get handled one on one. The don't plug holes or anything.

That allows pulling gurards and FB's to get to our shitty ILB's who are standing there 'waiting" for the play to come to them.

Hitchens and Ragland are not very good. I watched Hitchens constantly get blocked by Denver's TE yesterday. I don't mean lightly blocked, but completely washed out.

I think Hitchens falls into the Amerson category...Veech made a mistake.

Veach just had to have him. He needs O'Daniel next to him. Part of the problem is we have 3 of the slowest LBs in league history with Ragland, Hitchens, and Speaks. 

1 minute ago, DefensiveMan said:

Veach just had to have him. He needs O'Daniel next to him. Part of the problem is we have 3 of the slowest LBs in league history with Ragland, Hitchens, and Speaks. 

Yes. I agree.

I thought Hitch was supposed to be the speed guy....DJ's replacement who could cover TE's and RB's out the backfield.

What's odd is they brought in Nieman when Hitchens went out..Not DOD

19 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yes. I agree.

I thought Hitch was supposed to be the speed guy....DJ's replacement who could cover TE's and RB's out the backfield.

What's odd is they brought in Nieman when Hitchens went out..Not DOD

Wouldn't Nieman be more an "up the middle" guy while DOD is better on the edge?  Most of the Donks larger gains on the edges went past the Chiefs defensive right side IIRC. But you're right, speed is lacking.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't Nieman be more an "up the middle" guy while DOD is better on the edge?  Most of the Donks larger gains on the edges went past the Chiefs defensive right side IIRC. But you're right, speed is lacking.

Absolutely,   He had the fastest 3 cone time for a LBer in the past 12 years at the combine but is too small to just line him up inside.  He played a lot more the past few weeks in that nickel safety type role.  He’d probably be a good will LB in a 4-3. 

Archived