Half way through the season

Half way through the season and we can get a pretty good feel for how things will shake out for playoff slots.  Some teams have only played seven games but since we focus on the Chiefs, it's the mid point for us.  Because I'm lazy, teams with five or more losses aren't considered as contenders although we probably remember a Chiefs team with five early losses that ended up in the playoffs.

TENN, 3-4, @DAL, NE, @IND, @HOU, NYJ, JAX, @NYG, WASH, IND.  Hard to see them avoiding three more losses and at best, probably 9-7

BAL, 4-4, @PIT, CINN, OAK, @ATL, @KC, TAMP, @LAC, CLE, Brutal road schedule and probably another 9-7.  10-6 at best.

MIA, 4-4, NYJ, @GB,@IND, BUF, NE, @MINN, JAX, @BUF. Easy to see three more losses. 9-7.  10-6 if lucky.

PIT, 4-2-1, BAL,CAR, @JAX, DEN, LAC, @OAK, NE, @NO, CINN,  Maybe get to 10-5-1, but more likely 9-6-1

CINN, 5-3, NO, @BAL, CLE, DEN, @LAC, OAK, PIT, @CLE,  Another 3 or four loss team ending 10-6 or 9-7

HOU, 5-3, @DEN, @WASH, TENN, CLE, IND, @NYJ, @PHL, JAX, Probably division winner (JAX looks done) 11-5 or 10-6

LAC, 5-2, @SEA, PIT, @OAK, CLE, AZ, CINN, @KC, BAL, @DEN, Hard to figure.  Could be two to four losses. 12-4 to 10-6

NE, 6-2, GB, @TENN, @NYJ, MINN, @MIA, @PIT, BUF, NYJ, Will be favored in every game and tough games at home.  13-3 (or better)

KC, 7-1, @CLE, AZ, @LAR, @OAK, BAL, LAC, @SEA, OAK, Win division if they beat LAC. 13-3 or 12-4

Chiefs fans just have to hope they get healthy before playing BAL and LAC, both competitive home games. Toughest division to figure is AFC North.

Final seedings: 1. NE, 2. KC, 3. HOU, 4. CINN, 5. LAC, 6. PIT

There's probably some mistakes in all that schedule and of course any team on any Sunday blah, blah, blah

Okay, fire away.

I'll be closely watching this weeks Sunday night game with Packers vs Pats!  If Packers can pull out a win I think we have the #1 seed locked up!

I also think Steelers will win that division and Ravens beat out Bengals for the playoffs.  That #6 seed could be more of a race between Chargers and Bengals.  Chargers have had a super easy schedule so far IMO.

#1.  Chiefs.  I think we finish 14-2.  With our loss being either Rams or Chargers, probably the Rams.

#2.  Patriots.  I think NE loses another one.  Green Bay, Pitt or Minnesota gets them.  13-3

#3.  Steelers.  Pitt finishes 11-4-1.  They are starting to put it together. 

#4.  Texans.  10-6. 

#5  Chargers.  11-5 

#6  Bengals. 10-6

27 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

#1.  Chiefs.  I think we finish 14-2.  With our loss being either Rams or Chargers, probably the Rams.

#2.  Patriots.  I think NE loses another one.  Green Bay, Pitt or Minnesota gets them.  13-3

#3.  Steelers.  Pitt finishes 11-4-1.  They are starting to put it together. 

#4.  Texans.  10-6. 

#5  Chargers.  11-5 

#6  Bengals. 10-6

Chargers should lose at Seattle Sunday, but then it also will be a very tough game for the Chiefs.  SEA will probably be fighting for a playoff spot all season.  Without Berry and Houston, the Chiefs will lose more than one game.

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Chargers should lose at Seattle Sunday, but then it also will be a very tough game for the Chiefs.  SEA will probably be fighting for a playoff spot all season.  Without Berry and Houston, the Chiefs will lose more than one game.

I have the Chargers losing 3 more.  You can pick three from Pitt, Baltimore, KC, Cinci and Seattle.  The Chiefs may lose more than one for sure.  But I don't think so.  12-4 seems pretty pessimistic with 2 against the Raiders, the Browns, and the Cardinals on the slate yet.  Plus 5 home games remaining. 

Just now, reesebobby said:

I have the Chargers losing 3 more.  You can pick three from Pitt, Baltimore, KC, Cinci and Seattle.  The Chiefs may lose more than one for sure.  But I don't think so.  12-4 seems pretty pessimistic with 2 against the Raiders, the Browns, and the Cardinals on the slate yet.  Plus 5 home games remaining. 

I think it's four home games.  Big advantage playing in Arrowhead against the Ravens and Chargers, but I have the Rams and Seattle as losses and one other hiccup.  Thus, 12-4.  Remember, when the Chiefs play the Raiders, standings often go out the window.  Been that way for decades.

Two key games this week that affect the Chiefs.  First is BALT/PIT.  Not sure who to root for.  Probably BALT (hope Hands doesn't see this) since getting PIT out of the playoffs would just feel good.  Both teams have tough schedules ahead of them.  Second is LAC/SEA.  Who Chiefs' fans should be pulling for is obvious, but this is one that could go either way.  Another loss by LAC would come in handy if the Chiefs should stumble later in the season.

I see KC at no worse than 12-4.

Frankly, if the defense improves - the Chiefs can beat anyone in the AFC in the Playoffs.  I hope they end up playing NE to get in the Super Bowl.

I hope the game is in Gillette Stadium and Patrick Mahomes gets to play under the "Bright Lights".  When the Chiefs win, the torch will be passed.

w

35 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Two key games this week that affect the Chiefs.  First is BALT/PIT.  Not sure who to root for.  Probably BALT (hope Hands doesn't see this) since getting PIT out of the playoffs would just feel good.  Both teams have tough schedules ahead of them.  Second is LAC/SEA.  Who Chiefs' fans should be pulling for is obvious, but this is one that could go either way.  Another loss by LAC would come in handy if the Chiefs should stumble later in the season.

Add the Sunday night game to that list of games to keep an eye on, Patriots and Packers. 

Most likely our biggest concern for home field is the Patriots. But the Patriots still have some tough games ahead starting with the Packers this Sunday. They also play the Vikings, at the Steelers, at the Titans which you know Vrabel will have them prepared against his old team. Titans are capable of beating good teams. Just inconsistent this year. If Woodyard is playing that makes them a much tougher out. And you never know what the Dolphins may do when the Pats visit them later this year. I could see the Pats dropping another game or two. We just have to lose 1 less than they do.

KC, 7-1, @CLE, AZ, @LAR, @OAK, BAL, LAC, @SEA, OAK, Win division if they beat LAC. 13-3 or 12-4

KC should beat everyone on their schedule. 

However, I see:

80%-90% win against Cle, AZ, Oak (x2) = 4 wins

70%-80% win against LAC, Bal and Sea = 3 wins

60%-70% win against LAR

I agree 13-3 or 14-2

1 hour ago, West said:

Jet,

Can you honestly say that about years past?

My position since 1996 has been that ".....no matter what, the Chiefs will break our hearts"

w

No worries West. One thing history has also taught us is that if you go into January games with the superior QB, you are going to win a lot of them. Not sure if we break down those old notions this year or next, but January wins are coming. And a lot of them. 

13 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

KC, 7-1, @CLE, AZ, @LAR, @OAK, BAL, LAC, @SEA, OAK, Win division if they beat LAC. 13-3 or 12-4

KC should beat everyone on their schedule. 

However, I see:

80%-90% win against Cle, AZ, Oak (x2) = 4 wins

70%-80% win against LAC, Bal and Sea = 3 wins

60%-70% win against LAR

I agree 13-3 or 14-2

I see 80-90% win vs Oakland twice and Arizona  - 3 wins

I see about 70% win vs Cleveland (again they only have one home loss)

I see about 60% wins for Bal,Sea, LAC  - between these two groups 2-3 wins

I see about 40% win vs LAR - loss

12-4 or 13-3

7 minutes ago, West said:

Concur Mloe, we have real hope. Patrick  Mahomes is a great kid with unlimited potential.  He is already playing at an All Pro Level, I do not think you can put a ceiling on his potential.

Whats even better is every time I hear Andy Reid talk about him he says the kid is still a few years away from really understanding what hes doing out there. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I see 80-90% win vs Oakland twice and Arizona  - 3 wins

I see about 70% win vs Cleveland (again they only have one home loss)

I see about 60% wins for Bal,Sea, LAC  - between these two groups 2-3 wins

I see about 40% win vs LAR - loss

12-4 or 13-3

AZ, OAK, OAK - 85%

CLE  - 75%

BAL - 66%

LAC - 60%  Mainly because it's a home game

SEA - 45%

LAR - 33%

12-4 plus or minus one.

10 hours ago, West said:

Jet,

Can you honestly say that about years past?

My position since 1996 has been that ".....no matter what, the Chiefs will break our hearts"

w

If the Chiefs had an average or better D against IND or TENN, they would have won two playoff games.  The Chiefs may let us down again this season and most likely it will be because the defense doesn't get a critical stop.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs had an average or better D against IND or TENN, they would have won two playoff games.  The Chiefs may let us down again this season and most likely it will be because the defense doesn't get a critical stop.

We would have found some way to lose, it was such a meltdown. Not sure if we didn't have an average defense against Indy though. They were basically all-pro in the first half and set up a few TDs. Average starting position for offense was around opponent's 40-yard in the first half, not sure if that ever happened before in the playoffs. With minimal help from the defense in the 2nd (only one turnover) offense collapsed and defense had to stay on the field for way too long and they collapsed as well. We had only two scores (1 TD and 1 FG) on drives that started from our half of the field, which is good for a terrible offense in a dorm. Our offense was way too dependent on Charles and his departure hurt a lot but still we should be able to keep some drives alive.

Archived