Trade Deadline 2018 - Will Chiefs make a move?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Here's what I hear about the Chiefs and the trade deadline: they talked about Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, but decided the price (would've required a 3rd) was too much for a half-season rental. The Chiefs have been aggressive in trading up in drafts, and that third rounder might end up as a boost.

The Giants were not motivated to trade Landon Collins (who's more of a box safety than center fielder, but still) and the Chiefs were among those interested in Patrick Peterson but the Cardinals wouldn't trade. The Chiefs also asked around on a few corners, but I don't know those names.

All of this, and there is context you already know: they were really close on Earl Thomas before he broke his leg, and they expect Daniel Sorensen back soon and Eric Berry back at some point.

I have ZERO faith that Bone-Spur-Berry is going to play this year.  I don't understand why we did not IR him.  I like the player & the man, but he is a WASTE of a roster space at this point.

28 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Here's what I hear about the Chiefs and the trade deadline: they talked about Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, but decided the price (would've required a 3rd) was too much for a half-season rental. The Chiefs have been aggressive in trading up in drafts, and that third rounder might end up as a boost.

The Giants were not motivated to trade Landon Collins (who's more of a box safety than center fielder, but still) and the Chiefs were among those interested in Patrick Peterson but the Cardinals wouldn't trade. The Chiefs also asked around on a few corners, but I don't know those names.

All of this, and there is context you already know: they were really close on Earl Thomas before he broke his leg, and they expect Daniel Sorensen back soon and Eric Berry back at some point.

Think one of those corners they were asking about was Jets CB Morris Claiborne.

53 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

So we give them our third, probably going to be close to a 4th anyways, plus we have 2 seconds, so it's not like we would really be losing that much draft capital.

Also, we could have sent a third and asked for a late round in return to make up the value difference.  

1 hour ago, dksww said:

There's no player traded today that guarantees the Chiefs a Super Bowl title or more playoff success than without them.  Stop the nonsense. 

There's also no guarantee that whomever the Chiefs pick in the third round next spring will ever see the field.  One player making one play can change the outcome of a playoff game.  If the Chiefs think a player will make an impact this season, then they should have gone for him.  It's a judgement call and even a genius know he won't always make the right one.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Damn it, why did they just make a trade for the sake of trading. 🤪

43 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

“The message to our fans, to our players, to our coaches, to everyone in this organization is our foot’s always going to be on the gas,” Roseman said, via Zach Berman of Philly.com. “We’re always trying to win. . . . What we can do now is try to do that for this season and this moment.”

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

“The message to our fans, to our players, to our coaches, to everyone in this organization is our foot’s always going to be on the gas,” Roseman said, via Zach Berman of Philly.com. “We’re always trying to win. . . . What we can do now is try to do that for this season and this moment.”

Until they are in Cap Hell !

30 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Damn it, why did they just make a trade for the sake of trading. 🤪

Veach has proven himself very aggressive with trades so if he didn’t pull trigger on anything there’s a reason.  Clearly he targeted some high profile safeties too but it just didn’t work out. Dix would be the one guy we could really scrutinize. 

Our defense may very well keep this team from Atlanta but I’d rather fix it the right way with guys we want than act out of desperation. Just gotta hope Berry can actually contribute. 

Furthermore none of the key players in the AFC did much except for Houston who just lost a good WR for the season. It’s not easy to find fits in November. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Veach has proven himself very aggressive with trades so if he didn’t pull trigger on anything there’s a reason.  Clearly he targeted some high profile safeties too but it just didn’t work out. Dix would be the one guy we could really scrutinize. 

Our defense may very well keep this team from Atlanta but I’d rather fix it the right way with guys we want than act out of desperation. Just gotta hope Berry can actually contribute. 

Furthermore none of the key players in the AFC did much except for Houston who just lost a good WR for the season. It’s not easy to find fits in November. 

That's my point. We have people in here that seems like all they wanted was to make a trade. 

3 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That's my point. We have people in here that seems like all they wanted was to make a trade. 

You mean people in here that wanted to make our team better thus giving us a better chance at winning a super bowl this year?  

25 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Until they are in Cap Hell !

Yes I’d hate winning a couple Super Bowls cause Veach went out and got upgrades only to have cap he’ll in 5 years!  Winning a Super Bowl would suck if it means cap issues!  Errrrrr

9 minutes ago, Balto said:

You mean people in here that wanted to make our team better thus giving us a better chance at winning a super bowl this year?  

And you can guarantee that they would win the SB with any of the cast offs that were available?

Peterson, who would have been the best opportunity wasn't put out there for a reason. Good players, even on shitty teams don't get traded on the trade deadline date.

34 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

And you can guarantee that they would win the SB with any of the cast offs that were available?

Peterson, who would have been the best opportunity wasn't put out there for a reason. Good players, even on shitty teams don't get traded on the trade deadline date.

And you can guarantee that they would win a SB with any of the draft picks they would of used to trade with?  Exactly!

Remember after signing Hitchens and Watkins, Veach said he tried to trade for them during the season last year and ended up getting them in FA.

I can't find it now because Twitter's TL is always backwards, but I saw information from Sam Mellinger saying that the Chiefs did call on P. Peterson, Cards wouldn't trade him, then inquired on Collins, price was too high and did inquire on Clinton-Dix but didn't want to give up a 3rd since their 2019 4th is gone for Ragland.  If I find the tweet again I will post here.

Maybe since the Chiefs were interested in Collins and Dix they can bring one of them in as a free agent next season.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Yes I’d hate winning a couple Super Bowls cause Veach went out and got upgrades only to have cap he’ll in 5 years!  Winning a Super Bowl would suck if it means cap issues!  Errrrrr

Agree. 😉 Lets see if they win it all. 

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Point would be there’s only some guys who are fits for what we need that are both available and won’t cost us more in the future than they produce on the field today.  What did the Steelers, Patriots and Chargers do?  It’s not because they don’t have clear weaknesses too. Trade deadline in the NFL is most often fools gold.  This is not baseball.  

Here is my issue and I saw it on another site.   Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees give their teams legit shots at winning SB's every year and play for stable organizations and have won 1 SB each.   Sure they had a 10 year window but that window netted them 1 SB.  Thats how hard they are to come by.   By the time those 2019 2nd and 3rd rounder come into their own it will be time to resign Pat and more than likely half of those guys we won't be able to afford to resign.    So sure its not wise to give up a pick for a rental but giving up a 2nd or 3rd for a player that can help for 2-3 years isn't all that bad nor is it mortgaging your future.    Watching Parker miss deep assignment after deep assignment and our Safeties playing panzy ball (If you don't believe we watch Craig Stouts analysis over at ArrowheadP) and not addressing the need because you expect a below avg S in Sorensen who is sadly better than what we have playing besides Lucas to help and a guy they have been saying is day to day since 1989 is nuts.   Better hope Berry comes back and this D doesn't cost us a game in the playoff or he will regret standing pat today.    

Archived