After the BYE WEEK...Playoff Push...Health

Ok so why not rest the injured Houston, Berry, Sorenson, Morse etc until after the bye? This may be the CHiefs intention. Really fresh group for the last 5 games and at least 2 playoff games if not 3. Thats 8 more after the bye. These guys fresh can be a huge lift. Young guys get more experience. Can still win against Cleve & Arizona and the Ram game is not that important in the big picture. NOt to say KC cant win that game too.

So the team is 9-2 at the bye with one loss in the next 3. Having the BYe late in the season is a good thing this year.

What say you?

Note: 2018 Lower expectations & needs for defense. Sorenson: Yes last year KC needed bigger plays and better results from the D. Now just some stops. Interesting stats on Sorenson. 

We should get a bit more clarity on Sorensen’s immediate future from Reid on Wednesday. In 56 games and 15 starts for the Chiefs, Sorensen has 165 combined tackles, four interceptions, 14 passes defensed, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one touchdown. 

I say wait and see after this week...

ATM we are #1 seed and we should still win against the Browns with resting some guys.  The Pats play Packers and if Greenbay can upset the Pats and win I'm all for resting our guys longer because of the now two games ahead.  If Pats win I say we have to continue to win because that #1 seed is worth a lot to this team IMO.

2 minutes ago, Balto said:

I say wait and see after this week...

ATM we are #1 seed and we should still win against the Browns with resting some guys.  The Pats play Packers and if Greenbay can upset the Pats and win I'm all for resting our guys longer because of the now two games ahead.  If Pats win I say we have to continue to win because that #1 seed is worth a lot to this team IMO.

Agreed.  We need all hands on deck for that Rams game as long as the Pats keep winning. 

6 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Playing for HFA is not inconsistent with trying to win the division.   

agreed but  with all this Pats this and Pats that  to me its getting the cart before the horse..after all  HFA has not been kind to the Chiefs

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

HFA has not been kind to the Chiefs

Neither has drafting quarterbacks.  But losing to the Colts in 19something is not relevant to this years team.  Foxborough also has not been kind to the Chiefs in the playoffs.  You absolutely do not want to play there in January. 

The only issue I have us getting them into game shape. Having to play meaningful snaps would benefit them even if just a few or those games.  Berry and Sorensen have not had any so far. Preseason usually takes care of that so why not use this time if we have the lead? Use it to getting them a few just to get back into game shape?

Houston is back practicing on a limited basis. So he must be close but I would take him slow. Get Sorenson out there immediately to shake the rust off. And Morse needs to play as soon as he clears protocol.  With Berry’s injury the bye week seems like a perfect time to get him on practice field.  Or IR him and then legitimately ask why we didn’t trade for Dix.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I think we need to worry more about the Bolts than the Pats at this moment..goal 1 is win the West goal 2 is HFA

This is my thoughts as well. I don't know why we would rest guys that haven't played all year. They don't need rest, they need to get in football shape. Houston and Morse maybe. They are pretty injury prone and that may help them. Berry and Dirty Dan need to get back in shape. Berry hasn't played football since week one of last year. That's almost a season and a half of rest.

56 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Houston is back practicing on a limited basis. So he must be close but I would take him slow. Get Sorenson out there immediately to shake the rust off. And Morse needs to play as soon as he clears protocol.  With Berry’s injury the bye week seems like a perfect time to get him on practice field.  Or IR him and then legitimately ask why we didn’t trade for Dix.  

you know  that could me he showed up and rode a bike

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Why does anyone think the Chiefs have a choice in when to bring back Berry?  He hasn't practiced since the first week of TC and I doubt the team can wave a magic wand and make him available on their schedule.  If/when he can play, start bringing him back.  

I'm so confused with the Berry situation.... I mean seriously, WHAT IN THE HELL ARE WE WAITING ON WITH HIM.....

Telling everyone Day to day tells us absolutely nothing.

If he's not playing because of the pain in his heel, and they are not doing anything to remove the deformity causing said pain, then what are we really waiting day to day on????

Is he supposed to wake up one day, and the deformity is mysteriously gone? Is the pain supposed to subside after time??? Is the tendon in the Achilles heel supposed to eventually go numb and not hurt anymore????

I mean really.....WTH?

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why does anyone think the Chiefs have a choice in when to bring back Berry?  He hasn't practiced since the first week of TC and I doubt the team can wave a magic wand and make him available on their schedule.  If/when he can play, start bringing him back.  

Ive got something very similiar to what he does based on all reports and can tell you if its remotely the same, he could probably come back tomorrow. Problem is the clock starts ticking on when the pain will become unmanagable again. So my guess based on my own experience is they see a window. And then plan to surgically fix the problem next offseason. My only problem with this theory is why they didn't put him on the IR with a designation to return. That's a head scratcher to me.

1 minute ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

shoulda done the surgery the minute it was discovered.  he'd be on his way back by now

It would have put his season at risk, but I probably do that as well. And then get in on Earl Thomas as his temporary replacement. Which we did. So is it possible he did have surgery? Again the question why he wasn't IRed with return designation is what is perplexing to me. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It would have put his season at risk, but I probably do that as well. And then get in on Earl Thomas as his temporary replacement. Which we did. So is it possible he did have surgery? Again the question why he wasn't IRed with return designation is what is perplexing to me. 

I wonder if the Sorensen injury played a part in not IRing Berry. I believe you can return up to two players per season, correct? Maybe they didn't want to risk having both of their starting Safeties with that designation for some reason. Having both of your returns "used up" so early in the season probably is not what Veach would have preferred. Also, if what you are saying is correct concerning the pain just leaving on a given day,  maybe they gambled that Berry's heel would improve to the point that he could play prior to the minimum return time that a stint on IR would require.

I am curious how a bone spur would miraculously not hurt any more after treatment (other than surgery). It would seem to me that the pain wouldn't be relieved until you physically removed it (particularly if you had to run for a living). I think a lot of fans are irritated by the secretive nature of Chief's injuries. I didn't like it when Houston had his leg issue and I don't like it now. How is telling the public what is going on medically with non-active players, somehow affect how the Chiefs do on the field? I'm sure that Reid is tired of answering questions about Berry. He probably wouldn't have to deal with it if they weren't so freaking cryptic.  I really don't get it.

If he had the surgery why in the sam hill is that such a secret?   If this is a pain management issue then the moment he starts playing is the moment the clock starts ticking and he has to get back in game shape so you can't just hold onto him until the playoffs.   Saying day to day is an insult to our intelligence.  He will likely come back and right when he starts looking like the old Eric Berry (around week 3) the pain will force him to sit.   The real tragedy on this team is we have a SB caliber team and 20% of our cap is tied into two players who are literally no help to our team!   Gotta find a way to get them healthy and contributing.   Especially Berry as we are stuck with him for another year (2019) at least and that still has a dead cap hit that hurts.    

The good news is we are a SB caliber team utilizing only 80% of our cap so there is some hope down the road.

9 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think the surgery would land him in IR. We still have one return designation available so they aren't using it for someone else and for some reason not using it on Berry. We are simply losing a roster spot. I hope they did the surgery on Berry and waiting for him to come back which might be a day to day thing (more like week to week), otherwise the whole process is stupid. 

Archived