After the BYE WEEK...Playoff Push...Health

6 minutes ago, kcchief4lif said:

3 win playoff games at home

4 win superbowl.  

There it's all mapped out. So simple.

Except none if this is likely unless the defense is at least average.  The longer Berry and Houston are out, the more likely they won't be up to speed in time to help this season.  Without Berry and Houston, this defense isn't going to be close to average.  

On 10/31/2018 at 10:18 AM, FANATIC said:

Ok so why not rest the injured Houston, Berry, Sorenson, Morse etc until after the bye? This may be the CHiefs intention. Really fresh group for the last 5 games and at least 2 playoff games if not 3. Thats 8 more after the bye. These guys fresh can be a huge lift. Young guys get more experience. Can still win against Cleve & Arizona and the Ram game is not that important in the big picture. NOt to say KC cant win that game too.

So the team is 9-2 at the bye with one loss in the next 3. Having the BYe late in the season is a good thing this year.

What say you?

Note: 2018 Lower expectations & needs for defense. Sorenson: Yes last year KC needed bigger plays and better results from the D. Now just some stops. Interesting stats on Sorenson. 

We should get a bit more clarity on Sorensen’s immediate future from Reid on Wednesday. In 56 games and 15 starts for the Chiefs, Sorensen has 165 combined tackles, four interceptions, 14 passes defensed, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one touchdown. 

I have to admit, the "in bold" in the first line makes me laugh.  What is Berry need rest for?  "Man that 3/4 of a game I played in September, 2018, really wore me out!"  Or "I knew I shouldn't have had a clause in my contract that I'd be paid in the front office in pennies. Carrying all them pennies to the bank sure is wearing me out!" 

I know, I know, "Bad SarcasticOne!"

49 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

I have to admit, the "in bold" in the first line makes me laugh.  What is Berry need rest for?  "Man that 3/4 of a game I played in September, 2018, really wore me out!"  Or "I knew I shouldn't have had a clause in my contract that I'd be paid in the front office in pennies. Carrying all them pennies to the bank sure is wearing me out!" 

I know, I know, "Bad SarcasticOne!"

Yes I agree. My thought is they practice but do not risk injury in a game that is not critical. Practice thru the bye and then play as 100% as they can be.. 

Playing the Browns, who can often play a close game, this week. But I still want to sit them all and limit Tyreek Hill snaps.

Starting LBs Justin Houston (hamstring) and Anthony Hitchens (rib) are listed as questionable for the Chiefs for Sunday's game against the Browns on the final injury report of the week. Safety Eric Berry (heel) is doubtful and center Mitch Morse (concussion) and linebacker Frank Zombo (hamstring) will not play.”

28 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

Playing the Browns, who can often play a close game, this week. But I still want to sit them all and limit Tyreek Hill snaps.

Starting LBs Justin Houston (hamstring) and Anthony Hitchens (rib) are listed as questionable for the Chiefs for Sunday's game against the Browns on the final injury report of the week. Safety Eric Berry (heel) is doubtful and center Mitch Morse (concussion) and linebacker Frank Zombo (hamstring) will not play.”

Browns have had 3 OT games and only lost once at home despite playing playoff contenders almost every week and should have extra bounce in their step as well as as some wrinkles to the old system we won’t be prepared for.  I’m with you about playing time for those guys but we can’t leave idea this will be easy because of it. Slippery slope. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Browns have had 3 OT games and only lost once at home despite playing playoff contenders almost every week and should have extra bounce in their step as well as as some wrinkles to the old system we won’t be prepared for.  I’m with you about playing time for those guys but we can’t leave idea this will be easy because of it. Slippery slope. 

I think the answer would be different if the Chargers had to or three more losses or it had been later in the season. So, not resting for starters like week 17 or something, but rather giving our team a challenge and building depth. It would only be for injured players. But yeah, it’s too early in the season and the Browns are competitive.

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

If we try to play Cleveland with idea that we can rest a bunch of guys , we will get beat.  I’d prefer not to gamble on hurting the overall confidence of the team by being overconfident and thinking we can beat them with our B team and end up getting shellacked. I’m a big picture guy, but sometimes when you get too focused on the big picture you lose sight of the importance of the here and now.  Eventually we’re gonna drop a head scratcher of a game , so we don’t need to encourage that by resting guys. Play to win every week, and take nothing for granted. 

11 hours ago, moons314 said:

If we try to play Cleveland with idea that we can rest a bunch of guys , we will get beat.  I’d prefer not to gamble on hurting the overall confidence of the team by being overconfident and thinking we can beat them with our B team and end up getting shellacked. I’m a big picture guy, but sometimes when you get too focused on the big picture you lose sight of the importance of the here and now.  Eventually we’re gonna drop a head scratcher of a game , so we don’t need to encourage that by resting guys. Play to win every week, and take nothing for granted. 

That’s true, I just don’t want our injured players to get knocked out longer.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:03 PM, reesebobby said:

Neither has drafting quarterbacks.  But losing to the Colts in 19something is not relevant to this years team.  Foxborough also has not been kind to the Chiefs in the playoffs.  You absolutely do not want to play there in January. 

No one does. 

I'm as aware as anyone of the Chiefs' late homefield playoff woes, but playing in Foxborough in January is like playing in Buffalo was like in January 1990s --- The visitor has no chance.

Give me an Arrowhead playoff game any time. 

And to the point, I would love to rest Houston, Berry et al through the bye. Chiefs have done well enough without them so far.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:11 PM, moons314 said:

Those let down games in the past happened because of the bums we trotted out at QB.  Until Patrick Mahomes misses a game, I'm not worried about anyone else missing the game.

I look forward to seeing young guys get a chance on defense because it can't be any worse than it has.  

The Chiefs have been dealing with injuries all season and this week is no different.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Those let down games in the past happened because of the bums we trotted out at QB.  Until Patrick Mahomes misses a game, I'm not worried about anyone else missing the game.

I look forward to seeing young guys get a chance on defense because it can't be any worse than it has.  

The Chiefs have been dealing with injuries all season and this week is no different.

Of course we beat a 13-0 Aaron Rodgers team in this spot in 2011. This is just a spot Andy or any coach has challenging job of keeping his team emotionally engaged for real. It’s just human nature for a letdown against a capable team. Win this game though and we are 9-1 headed for Mexico. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported this morning that #Chiefs S Eric Berry has made “serious strides” with his sore heel and the team hopes he returns in “the next few weeks.”

Take it for what’s its worth.

"Next few weeks", what's the rush?

Making strides basically means there has been some treatment process or something similar. Not sure what the big secret is though. 

Archived