Projecting 2020 rosters

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25133131/projecting-2020-roster-locks-bubble-players-all-32-nfl-teams

Kansas City Chiefs

Virtual locks: QB Patrick Mahomes, RB Kareem Hunt, WR Tyreek Hill, TE Travis Kelce, G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, T Mitchell Schwartz, OLB Tanoh Kpassagnon, OLB Breeland Speaks, NT Derrick Nnadi, K Harrison Butker, LB Dorian O'Danie

Barring injury, the Chiefs are set with their offensive core for years to come. Their defense? Well, let's hope some of these young draft picks pan out.

Chiefs pass-rusher Dee Ford is a free agent this offseason and could get a huge deal. Peter Aiken/Getty Images

On the bubble: S Eric Berry, WR Sammy Watkins, T Eric Fisher, OL Cameron Erving, C Mitch Morse, LB Dee Ford, LB Reggie Ragland, CB Kendall Fuller, CB Steven Nelson, DE Allen Bailey, DE Chris Jones, ILB Anthony Hitchens

The Chiefs have a brief window of cap space with Mahomes, Hunt and Hill all on rookie contracts, but much of that space is likely going to go to a Ford extension. Can they afford to give players like Jones and Fuller in excess of $10 million per season while keeping around the likes of Berry and Watkins? Injuries might make the decision for GM Brett Veach.

Unlikely notables: OLB Justin Houston, S Ron Parker, RB Spencer Ware

Houston can't stay healthy enough for the Chiefs to carry him at a cap hit of $21.1 million in 2019. After racking up 22 sacks in 2014, the Georgia product has nearly racked up more missed games (20) than sacks (24) over the ensuing three-plus seasons.

Thoughts?

Not sure why Jones is on the bubble. He has been our most consistent guy in the front 7 and has been doing a very good job of it. They might be focusing on him being a free agent but the same goes for Hill as well. Having both Watkins and Hill on the roster with big contracts and letting go of a solid DE is just a stupid move we won't be seeing in Chiefs' future. 

Also thinking that Watkins is a lock for 2020 is crazy. There are some higher priority names on the bubble that would need to be paid in 2020 and if such a scenario occurs Watkins would be the odd man out. We won't be saving money on defense or OL to pay a #2 WR. Another weird thing is Morse on the bubble. He's either gone after this year or stays with a long term deal, there's really no bubble for him and "Unlikely" category is pretty much where he should be. I understand Nelson's presence in the bubble though, with the way they are playing and lack of money tied up to CB they might opt to give him a long term deal after this year. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not sure why Jones is on the bubble. He has been our most consistent guy in the front 7 and has been doing a very good job of it. They might be focusing on him being a free agent but the same goes for Hill as well. Having both Watkins and Hill on the roster with big contracts and letting go of a solid DE is just a stupid move we won't be seeing in Chiefs' future. 

Also thinking that Watkins is a lock for 2020 is crazy. There are some higher priority names on the bubble that would need to be paid in 2020 and if such a scenario occurs Watkins would be the odd man out. We won't be saving money on defense or OL to pay a #2 WR. Another weird thing is Morse on the bubble. He's either gone after this year or stays with a long term deal, there's really no bubble for him and "Unlikely" category is pretty much where he should be. I understand Nelson's presence in the bubble though, with the way they are playing and lack of money tied up to CB they might opt to give him a long term deal after this year. 

Jones on the bubble is plain stupid

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

He is a free agent in 2019?

Yep. He's a free agent after the 2019 season. He will be only 25 years old at the point by the way. Barring some major injury or offield incident this is the exact type of guy you always lock up long term. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Again, plain stupid on the writers part. 

Bill Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL writers around, it’s not stupid.  His logic is sound, but I agree with you about locking Jones up long-term; it’s the ideal thing to do.  But if the Chiefs keep Ford, he might be on to something.  Ford is a DPOY candidate after 8 games, can the Chiefs just let him walk with so much uncertainty about the pass rush?

2 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

Bill Barnwell is one of the most respected NFL writers around, it’s not stupid.  His logic is sound, but I agree with you about locking Jones up long-term; it’s the ideal thing to do.  But if the Chiefs keep Ford, he might be on to something.  Ford is a DPOY candidate after 8 games, can the Chiefs just let him walk with so much uncertainty about the pass rush?

Its stupid. I guess time will tell to see I'm correct. 

4 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

Well, do you believe the Chiefs will sign Ford to a massive extension?

I'd say 50-50....I think they should tag him based on his injury history. But they may pay him. Jones also plays a different position and is only 24 years old so I don't see correlation. Plus they can always tag Jones in 2020. Odds of just letting him walk are almost zero minus something completely unforseen. That's why its stupid.  

Ford is currently our best defensive player who's playing. Unless he is unreasonable in his salary expectations, you have to extend him. The defense needs play makers and he is one of the few we have. The key to me is whether we keep Houston around. Houston is still a stud when healthy and if he comes back and has a massive 2nd half of the year/postseason, I think we keep him. Otherwise, I think you draft another edge rusher next year and move on from him. 

4 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

Ford is currently our best defensive player who's playing. Unless he is unreasonable in his salary expectations, you have to extend him. The defense needs play makers and he is one of the few we have. The key to me is whether we keep Houston around. Houston is still a stud when healthy and if he comes back and has a massive 2nd half of the year/postseason, I think we keep him. Otherwise, I think you draft another edge rusher next year and move on from him. 

I dont know, I think I would go after FA to solidify the DL and the pass rusher. We will be drafting low in the rounds and I would like to get a guy already developed then draft in future ti keep it going. I just hate to wait a year or two for our guys to get going when we have a good chance the next few years to really go for it all.

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yep. He's a free agent after the 2019 season. He will be only 25 years old at the point by the way. Barring some major injury or offield incident this is the exact type of guy you always lock up long term. 

And that's the major drawback to Dorsey moving out of the first round in 2016.  No 5th year option definitely hurts.

In result, we got a corner that now is on the Colts roster and a brokedick Guard that IR'd himself in less than a week after being trading to Dallas.  What a great move that was.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:07 PM, Mloe68 said:

I think it speaks volumes about Veach building a young defense that can grow with offense and still be cheap when we have to start paying our offensive stars. Makes draft picks and making the most of them like gold. 

This is precisely why I was against the dreams of shedding high picks mid season for safeties and corners that may or may not be on the block.  Our window begins next year, and bleeding picks now lessens our window at the back end.  I’d love to pick up some more high picks in the next two drafts, and I’d really love to shed some of these guys that can’t stay healthy like Berry, Houston , Morse, etc. 

On 11/3/2018 at 8:57 AM, moons314 said:

This is precisely why I was against the dreams of shedding high picks mid season for safeties and corners that may or may not be on the block.  Our window begins next year, and bleeding picks now lessens our window at the back end.  I’d love to pick up some more high picks in the next two drafts, and I’d really love to shed some of these guys that can’t stay healthy like Berry, Houston , Morse, etc. 

May be Morse brings in a comp. pick for 2020 but I wouldn't count on that being high. He's one of the less bad OCs in FA.

Archived