Guess Veach was right about Marcus Peters

Peters is more free lance playmaker than shut down corner.  He’s can be a big asset but always at a price. And soon a big price tag. 

Personally I lock up Nelson and Fuller over the next two years and draft a guy early this year and we’re in pretty good shape  if we upgrade safety position too. 

I don't think you can point to one particular thing.

Xavier Williams and Allen Bailey are total jags and really it all starts up front.  Both guys are easily washed out of plays and the result is the ILB's have to guess the gaps incredibly quick if they aren't washed out completely from the get go.  Sutton has them thinking more than attacking and they aren't super talented from the get go.

They are stuck with Hitchens for another year, at least, so need to work on fixing what happened to cause him to decline.

Need to upgrade Bailey at minimum, but gosh do they really need a Nose like Dontari Poe before he was broken.

If they can fix the DL and upgrade next to Hitchens, even Werthers can field a competent enough Defense.

41 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Fire Sutton and keep drafting best defensive talent we can find. Time for a fresh set of eyes and ideas. These guys not tackling fall on his shoulders...run tackle drills until they get it. That's coaching 

I've found it notable that the tackling has gotten better and better the last few games and is now league standard.  There were some really good tackles today.

The problem with Peters is that he is a very selfish player.  He plays off in order to gain the accolades from the pick or strip, but he hurts the team mostly by playing so far off.  He doen't give a shit, as long as he is an occasional hero. When the coaches tell him not to play so far off, he gets into fights with them, then he broods when they disagree. That just doesn't fit on any team, let alone one that was built to play for each other and for a win, not selfish players.  He is a chemistry destroyer.  Veatch was right on.  When Peters is booed or blamed for his failures in a game, he responds with anger.  If booed, he will give the home fans the finger.  He's really a jerk. I was amazed at the panicky reaction when Veatch traded him.  You would think the sky had fallen.  I was pleased. The Chiefs coaches and brass kept their mouths shut so that his trade value would remain high, but it must have been hard, because they knew he was poison for a year before he was traded. I just couldn't believe his bad behavior in game after game after game.

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Peters is more free lance playmaker than shut down corner.  He’s can be a big asset but always at a price. And soon a big price tag. 

Personally I lock up Nelson and Fuller over the next two years and draft a guy early this year and we’re in pretty good shape  if we upgrade safety position too. 

Nelson has been quietly making a name for himself for FA. Won't be cheap but definitely a good player to lock up for the right price. 

8 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Xavier Williams and Allen Bailey are total jags and really it all starts up front.  Both guys are easily washed out of plays and the result is the ILB's have to guess the gaps incredibly quick if they aren't washed out completely from the get go.  Sutton has them thinking more than attacking and they aren't super talented from the get go.

They are stuck with Hitchens for another year, at least, so need to work on fixing what happened to cause him to decline.

Need to upgrade Bailey at minimum, but gosh do they really need a Nose like Dontari Poe before he was broken.

If they can fix the DL and upgrade next to Hitchens, even Werthers can field a competent enough Defense.

Agree with everything here. Its hard for me to speculate about positional upgrades when we dont know Werthers' future though. If they bring in a new DC who runs a base 43 it affect decisions about nearly every player in our front 7.

People can say what they want about the majority of our snaps being played in sub packages, and thats fine. I will tell you this. If they brought in a guy who runs an aggressive 43, I cannot see them committing big dollars to Dee Ford. He is not a strong enough run defender to play that role effectively on obvious running plays. And its becoming more obvious that paying Houston 21 mill next year would be crazy regardless of scheme.

Ton of work to do on defense. And a ton of it is up in the air.

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Bailey sure isn't as solid as Jones but not the weakest link either. IMO we would keep him in town if he wasn't a free agent simply due to urgent needs in other positions, which is the same as we did this year. However as things currently stand I'm expecting a free agent stop gap until we develop a youngster for the position. 

Williams was an insurance policy and looks like won't be needed after this year. Still DE is a higher priority simply due to FA status of Bailey but I think we'll be adding another guy to the mix if we can find someone better than Williams, I don't expect a high pick spent on the position though. 

Marcus Peters - DB - Rams

Rams CB Marcus Peters knows he is struggling but expects to bounce back.

Peters was the victim for most of Michael Thomas' 211-yard explosion on Sunday including a 72-yard touchdown which iced the game, but the reality is he has been playing poorly for several weeks. "I had a bad couple weeks and I’ll step up," Peters said. "I know I’m a top … corner in this league and I ain’t been playing like that. Put that on me." Peters' downturn has coincided with a hamstring injury he rushed back from at the end of September, but he has consistently denied the injury is an issue. Whatever the problem, the Rams need to figure out their issues in the secondary before the playoffs roll around. Getting Aqib Talib (ankle, IR) back would go a long way.

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

He's not ready for a big role yet.  Not too big of a deal as long as you see some flashes, which I have seen with him.

That's right. Nnadi will keep getting more touches and coaching until he has the knowledge and quick reactions.  One of the things people rarely mention is kind of an undercurrent of something obvious.  Our coaching staff is just plain excellent.  They just know what to do and how to develop players.  Apparently, that isn't always the case in the NFL.  Bad teams rush guys in to fill weaknesses, and sometimes it hampers their entire career. It takes awhile.  I think he will end up as good as Poe, or at least close.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

Bailey sure isn't as solid as Jones but not the weakest link either. IMO we would keep him in town if he wasn't a free agent simply due to urgent needs in other positions, which is the same as we did this year. However as things currently stand I'm expecting a free agent stop gap until we develop a youngster for the position. 

Williams was an insurance policy and looks like won't be needed after this year. Still DE is a higher priority simply due to FA status of Bailey but I think we'll be adding another guy to the mix if we can find someone better than Williams, I don't expect a high pick spent on the position though. 

The Chiefs will absolutely have spent at least one pick on DL by Day 3 of the draft.

Bailey is the worst starter on the DL.

peters will not change. i am glad veach got rid of the locker room cancer. chiefs locker room right now is the best it’s been since vermeil days with holmes green gonzalez. 

i hope reid dials up some plays and uses peters tendencies to our advantage. pick on him showtime! 

i cannot stand players that think they are better than the team.

Shannon Sharpe & DeAngelo Hall had an interesting take on Peters. They said he's not a true press-man corner, and is more of a freelancer. They said he trying to play what the Rams want him to, and he's not good at it. They compared him to Asante Samuel, and said he has lost himself some money. 

14 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs will absolutely have spent at least one pick on DL by Day 3 of the draft.

Bailey is the worst starter on the DL.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 picks spent on DL but before that I'm expecting a veteran signing in FA. We can't and won't be entering the draft hoping that a starter will fall to us. 

Peters this year, to borrow from SMellinger:

"108th among 117 corners who’ve played at least 20 percent of their snaps, according to Pro Football Focus, and here’s more — five touchdowns and 27 catches on 38 targets and (clears throat) 138.7 passer rating in coverage."

that's more than just a couple bad games.  Veach had this one right from the get go. 

Lot of overreacting fans owe an apology, self included.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:14 AM, reesebobby said:

Peters has cost himself a lot of money this year.  He'll still get paid, but I think he's lost that top 5 to10 corner feel. 

Of course if he makes big plays in the playoffs none of this will matter. Remember Larry Brown? I know the Raiders do. LOL  Of course the way he free lances in order to make those plays can also cost his team games when it matters as well. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Of course if he makes big plays in the playoffs none of this will matter. Remember Larry Brown? I know the Raiders do. LOL  

Of course it matters. NFL teams aren’t that stupid.  Sure a super bowl mvp would help him but his season won’t be ignored. 

Archived