Who needs a defense?

That is partially in jest, but it is no joke that good teams are focused on getting offensive talent first and letting the D hang in the wind a little. If you look at the good teams, it is pretty striking. This is by odds of winning the SB right now.

1.  Rams with the #14 pass D

2. Pats with the #26 pass D

3. KC with the #28 pass D

4. Saints with the #31 pass D

5. Stealers with the #21 pass D

Who has the best pass D?  The top 5 are Jax, Buffalo, Ravens, Lions and Cowboys who all suck.  I was just surprised by that. The way of the league I guess.

Agree, Rams looked much weaker than I previously thought....

Chiefs have as good a shot as any team this year.

It's all about getting healthy for the playoffs.

I sure would love to see the Pats and the Bolts lose a couple of more times as this plays out

w

We are really bad on D and I think we can stop with all the number of yards doesn't matter bull.   When you give up nearly 30 points a game and allow 500 yards of offense each week then your D is just bad.   The biggest shock to me this year is the ILB's.   Ragland can be cut but we are stuck with Hitchens for a couple years.  Those guys are indecisive, and get bulled over way too often and are way slower than expected.   At least we are winning though so thats the silver lining and if we can play perfect ball in the playoffs it might not matter.

6 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The Saints had a remarkable Defensive effort to slow down Gurley just enough to seal a win.  

I can't imagine our D slowing him down at all.

We have to do what the Saints did and jump all over them early, having a 35-17 lead at halftime makes them abandon the run game....

46 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

We have to do what the Saints did and jump all over them early, having a 35-17 lead at halftime makes them abandon the run game....

Yea,but you gotta make them punt a couple of times to get the lead.

Can the chiefs defense actually do that??????

I don't think so.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

That is partially in jest, but it is no joke that good teams are focused on getting offensive talent first and letting the D hang in the wind a little. If you look at the good teams, it is pretty striking. This is by odds of winning the SB right now.

Who has the best pass D?  The top 5 are Jax, Buffalo, Ravens, Lions and Cowboys who all suck.  I was just surprised by that. The way of the league I guess.

Don't buy all those stats.  The top five teams are leading most of the game and their opponents resort to a pass happy, catch up mode.  The bottom feeders are behind and their opponents are running clock and passing at a much lower percentage of plays.  For example, what's the Chiefs run/pass ratio in the fourth quarter vs. their opponents who are mostly trailing.  Not sure how much that affects the numbers above, but it's a factor.

Passes attempted against: LAR, 302; NE, 369; KC, 380; NO, 294; PIT, 321;

JAX, 246; DAL, 221; DET, 222; BUF, 300; BAL, 322

Not sure why BUF has so many passes thrown against them compared to other losing teams.  BAL is probably more in the game up to the last few moments and just has a better defense all around.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

Because all of these teams take big leads and teams are forced to throw. 

This defense has done some things well that have complimented offense and been critical to our 8-1 record. We've also risen from 31st to 26th in the crucial DVOA number. Doesn't seem like much but the magic number is 25...Nobody worse than that has ever won a Super Bowl. Something tangible to watch in my opinion. Climbing into the mid 20s hardly guarantees us of anything and hopefully this will be our last year having to endure this. But for this year history seems to suggest we just need to be a little better to have at least a chance to win the Lombardi. 

4th in sacks

4th in 3rd down defense

6th in forced fumbles

10th in INTs

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea,but you gotta make them punt a couple of times to get the lead.

Can the chiefs defense actually do that??????

I don't think so.

Really? We've been doing it all year. Weve crushed teams in the first quarter this season and that doesn't happen without getting stops especially when we win the toss every week and give the other team the ball first.

You can't rally in Denver or even New England without stops. We clearly cannot rely on our defense to win games for us, but we can count on them to get the ball back to our offense enough to let us build large leads weve had on most teams or rally when needed. 

I think they have played better. The ILBs have been a little better. Not good enough but better. Nelson has been playing really well. Fuller has gotten better. They are climbing a little. Dline has gotten some sacks and improved against the run. 

We have a long way to go to be a decent defense, but getting better. Sure could use Berry.

6 hours ago, DieHard said:

I've been saying this all along. The NFL wants high scoring games to fire up their fans. What better way to help that, make it harder for the D.

Also the lack of actual padded practice throughout the season helps with the shitty tackling. If they sucked in college, which many did then they aren't going to improve during spring training. 

7 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The Saints had a remarkable Defensive effort to slow down Gurley just enough to seal a win.  

I can't imagine our D slowing him down at all.

I agree but then again we did a real good job against E Elliott in a similar spot last year. I’ll bet we try anyway to make Goff beat us rather than being slow played by Gurley runs to death.  Having #50 back should help a little anyway.  

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Is that the one that couldn't get a stop on defense at a critical time against the Donks in the first round playoff game at home?  😒

Divisional playoff. Donkeys beat the Jags first playoff week.  We lost 14-10 in a game we started the wrong QB, the Donkeys got caught caking uniforms with Vaseline with no penalty and we did give up an early 4th quarter TD but offense couldn’t respond.  Again we lost because we had the inferior QB. Across the board pretty much the case in nearly every playoff game we’ve played the last three decades.  But that was a really good overall team.  

11 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Divisional playoff. Donkeys beat the Jags first playoff week.  We lost 14-10 in a game we started the wrong QB, the Donkeys got caught caking uniforms with Vaseline with no penalty and we did give up an early 4th quarter TD but offense couldn’t respond.  Again we lost because we had the inferior QB. Across the board pretty much the case in nearly every playoff game we’ve played the last three decades.  But that was a really good overall team.  

Same year Broncos cooked the books to cheat on cap space

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Seems many are pinning their hopes on the return of Houston and Berry to pep up the defense.  If that happen, the Chiefs will be hard to beat, but we can't count on Berry ever contributing this season.

I think he gets back, otherwise they would IR him but who knows with this staff. Even if he's not 100% he would still be an improvement on what we have now but at this point I don't expect Berry to make a drastic change and take our defense back to the days of winning games for us. 

15 hours ago, jetlord said:

Seems many are pinning their hopes on the return of Houston and Berry to pep up the defense.  If that happen, the Chiefs will be hard to beat, but we can't count on Berry ever contributing this season.

wait, what about dirty dan?  oh never mind, I just answered my own question....

On 11/6/2018 at 2:41 PM, azchief21 said:

Who needs defense? That's what Vermiel asked. We're still waiting. With Mahomes we don't need a top 10 D though. Maybe not even top half. Would be nice to force a punt occasionally. 

Yeah. It was a tongue in cheek comment. If ILB and S can step up a little, we could really dominate in the playoffs. 

Archived