DVOA rankings paint a clear picture of the defense

Our run defense is going to continue to suck this year unless Sutton changes the scheme.

In a 3-4 def, the dline is responsible for GAP CONTROL....That is supposed to keep your ILB's clean to run and make tackles. (I.e. OLB-DE-DT-DE-OLB) that's typically 5 on 5 upfront. The problem with Sutton's defense is that:

1. We're usually in a Nickel, with 2 Dlinemen and 2 OLB

2. The Dlinemen are required to shoot gaps, instead of CONTROL gaps.

When the Dlinemen shoot gaps, that allows them to blocked one on one, and allows offensive Guards, Centers, TE's and Fullbacks to get to the ILB's in a hurry.  Hitch and Ragland are not very fast and seem to have a little hesitation diagnosing plays.

That little bit of hesitation allows them to get blocked, and neither one of them have showed any propensity for shedding blocks very well.

I have been closely watching the run defense the last 3 weeks, and Sutton's remedy has been to bring Ron Parker down in the box for run support. However, Parker absolutely refuses to play physical and make any attempts at tackling the ball carrier.  Hence the SUPER SHITTY RUN DEFENSE. (Lucas and Watts was much better at it.)

Maybe..just maybe..Sorenson will help...a little.

After all there's a reason we let Parker go the first time. As did Atlanta.

6 minutes ago, artsy said:

Our run defense is going to continue to suck this year unless Sutton changes the scheme.

In a 3-4 def, the dline is responsible for GAP CONTROL....That is supposed to keep your ILB's clean to run and make tackles. (I.e. OLB-DE-DT-DE-OLB) that's typically 5 on 5 upfront. The problem with Sutton's defense is that:

1. We're usually in a Nickel, with 2 Dlinemen and 2 OLB

2. The Dlinemen are required to shoot gaps, instead of CONTROL gaps.

When the Dlinemen shoot gaps, that allows them to blocked one on one, and allows offensive Guards, Centers, TE's and Fullbacks to get to the ILB's in a hurry.  Hitch and Ragland are not very fast and seem to have a little hesitation diagnosing plays.

That little bit of hesitation allows them to get blocked, and neither one of them have showed any propensity for shedding blocks very well.

I have been closely watching the run defense the last 3 weeks, and Sutton's remedy has been to bring Ron Parker down in the box for run support. However, Parker absolutely refuses to play physical and make any attempts at tackling the ball carrier.  Hence the SUPER SHITTY RUN DEFENSE. (Lucas and Watts was much better at it.)

Maybe..just maybe..Sorenson will help...a little.

After all there's a reason we let Parker go the first time. As did Atlanta.

So you are saying we'd have more luck running a 2 gap scheme than our current 1 gap. They are both variations of the 34. 

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

So you are saying we'd have more luck running a 2 gap scheme than our current 1 gap.

Yes. I personally think Hitch and Ragland would look a LOT better if we did.

Hitchens played/looked VERY Fast in Dallas. Both him and Ragland look like they're running in mud. Mainly because they have to shed so many blocks and filter through the mess of blockers.

I really dont think its the ILB's that are the issue... I think the problems are at safety........  I see a defense that is very similar to what the colts defense looked like when a guy by the name of sanders was out for a while...... whole nfl ran roughshod over them, couldnt cover safeties....  had a hellacious offense though.. made the playoffs and sanders got healthy and the defense righted itself immediatly... its amazing what having the right guys calling the plays and adjustments can do to help.. Its also amazing what can happen  when your free to play knowing the guy behind you can cleanup if you screw up.

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs don't have an ILB problem?  Haha if you say so.

The biggest problem is at safety.  That doesn't mean the Chiefs aren't very weak at ILB, but when they lose, it will more likely be because of poor play in the defensive backfield.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:58 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Exactly. Some players are best in a system that lets them use instincts and attack. They were hoping that Hitchens could bring us some of what DJ did in his prime. He clearly isnt suited to that role. 

I think the regression of Ragland has made Hitchens look worse than he is.  Hopefully Ragland can get things figured out because it wasn’t long ago that most of us had high expectations for him.  

50 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe, but watching Murray is painful.  Can we agree that both positions are the biggest danger to the Chiefs' playoff hopes?

Yes, we can agree because they are. Cant figure out why they wont let Lucas play more...hes so much faster than Murray, Sorensen,  parker. 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:30 PM, liquidfriend said:

I guess, but it's not like they are piling on the stress on the opposing teams and it helps to play Buffalo and the Titans Offense for stat padding.

And the Tennessee offense drops 34 on New England when a month ago they were shut out at home by Baltimore.

And Baltimore hasn't won since then.

Meanwhile the Bills get embarrassed 47-0 on opening day and drop 41 on the Jets inn their house.

its a crazy, fickle league....which is why you guys should enjoy the consistent winning

On 11/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Im ready for a 43. Im sick of the 34. Thats in large part due to Sutton who has taken the fun out of defense though, so if we got a new DC who ran a 34 but liked to bring it, I'd be down.

The NFL has taken the fun outta defense.

think back to the preseason with KPass and a perfect smoking of the QB in the CHI game, and THATS"S A PENALTY?????

Also for Chiefs fans last years playoffs and the mysterious "momentum stoppage' that robbed DJ of a great playoff play for his tenure in KC

That is what I call taking the fun outta the defense!

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

And the Tennessee offense drops 34 on New England when a month ago they were shut out at home by Baltimore.

And Baltimore hasn't won since then.

Meanwhile the Bills get embarrassed 47-0 on opening day and drop 41 on the Jets inn their house.

its a crazy, fickle league....which is why you guys should enjoy the consistent winning

A head coach that practiced with Tom Brady for a decade knew how to stop him?  Well what a shocker that was!

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

All Chiefs' fans are enjoying the Mahomes show, but we've been battered so often by playoff disappointments that it will take a while to feel comfortable at the top. 

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

A head coach that practiced with Tom Brady for a decade knew how to stop him?  Well what a shocker that was!

If it was that simple teams would just copy that game plan going forward would they not? I do however vividly remember that Super Bowl where Gruden spent the week as scout team QB mimicking all he knew about Gannon.  And the Bucs just teed off. 

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

If it was that simple teams would just copy that game plan going forward would they not? I do however vividly remember that Super Bowl where Gruden spent the week as scout team QB mimicking all he knew about Gannon.  And the Bucs just teed off. 

Hard to watch some tape and know exactly what Brady and Belichick are thinking at any possible moment.  Vrabel was a coaching kind of player in that organization and knowa it from top to bottom.

Pats are also shittier away from home and played the whole game without Gronk and lot Edelman along the way.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Hard to watch some tape and know exactly what Brady and Belichick are thinking at any possible moment.  Vrabel was a coaching kind of player in that organization and knowa it from top to bottom.

Pats are also shittier away from home and played the whole game without Gronk and lot Edelman along the way.

Yes but tape doesn't lie in how the Titans went about defending the Patriots. And no doubt without Gronk and half an Edelman they aren't nearly as impressive. 

Archived