Jordan Lucas (orig)

Harrison Butker (ERFA)

Re-sign:

Orlando Scandrick

Damien Williams

Jordan Devey

Min. deals

Sign:

FS Earl Thomas (4yr/46m) - Veach has so far shown that he will aggressively go after trade targets in FA.

Edge Shaquil Barrett (1yr/3.8m--2m more in incentives)

Draft:

1.  Trayvon Mullen, CB  Clemson

Chiefs swap out Nelson with a rookie that has a higher ceiling.

2. Noah Fant, TE  Iowa

The Chiefs add more speed and size to attack Defenses from any level.

2.  Terry Beckner JR, DT  Missouri

A solid inside guy that should be a cheaper alternative than Allen Bailey.

3.  T.J. Edwards, LB  Wisconsin

I think it's about time to abandon the Ragland gamble.

5.  Chris Johnson, S  North Alabama

Has the making of a true center fielder, but is raw as hell and will need development time.

6.  Kendall Blanton, TE  Missouri

Something to work with on the TE depth chart.

7.  Michael Jackson, CB  Miami

I honestly just wanted to say that I drafted Michael Jackson.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Fant or Beckner will be there at the end of the 2nd.  Both should test well.  

But I like where u went with this.

Big yes to Big Earl in KC.  We need a center fielder and he has years left on his game.  The injury scares me not at all.  

However I would probably Franchise tag Ford and try to trade him.  I think we're left empty handed with a transition tag.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:53 PM, Calichief said:

Need to look at those fresno state db’s!

im telling you...

Actually am in the process of doing that now!

3 hours ago, xen said:

I don't think Fant or Beckner will be there at the end of the 2nd.  Both should test well.  

But I like where u went with this.

Big yes to Big Earl in KC.  We need a center fielder and he has years left on his game.  The injury scares me not at all.  

However I would probably Franchise tag Ford and try to trade him.  I think we're left empty handed with a transition tag.

I think the big issue with Fant, and really it's actually shocking considering the school he's at, is his blocking.  He's also still pretty dang raw and I think he'll be off some team boards completely because he'll be seen as an oversized WR.  Where he goes will depends on if Okwuegbunam and the Bama TE both declare or not (May take another year, but I anticipate a big uptick in early entrees for the draft with a work stoppage looming in 2021).

Beckner will drop mostly because his stock has declined playing for Odom, but mostly because this draft is just so stupidly deep at DL.  In a normal DL year, he's pushing to be a first round pick.  Late 2nd/Early 3rd is where I have him projected currently.  There are so many good Defensive Line players in this draft that it's just silly.

I wouldn't want to resign Scandrick as I think there are players like him every year that we could bring in to sure up weak areas.  He's old and I think Nelson has proven to be an above avg DB.  I think we could get him on a team friendly deal and allow a rookie we drafted to work in along with seeing what Tremon and Ward can do with a full offseason.   It also keeps the total amount paid to our DB's reasonable so we can go after someone like Earl.  If we can get him here on that contract then we should do it.  He has 2 elite years left and probably 1-2 above avg years as well.   If its possible to get him and Berry both back healthy then we turned a weak area into a strength next year.    

I think you have to franchise tag Ford and roll with him, Speaks and Kpass.   They have done pretty well without Houston and you have to believe Speaks and Kpass will continue to develop.   If this is the case we probably need to move up in the first or at least target a pass rusher in the 1st or 2nd.   I don't know what order but S, OLB, CB should be top 3 picks.  Then use that 3rd for an OL or TE or BPA.

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Nelson is a few months away from UFA, so I can't imagine a scenario where he's going to give the Chiefs a home town discount.  If you're going to keep him, expect to pay 16-17m avg per year.  Are you in for that?

You think Steve Nelson is going to get 16-17 million a year, but we can sign Earl Thomas for 4/46?       Nelson will get $7-8 million imo.   He's nowhere near great and he has like one above avg season on his resume.   

17 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

You think Steve Nelson is going to get 16-17 million a year, but we can sign Earl Thomas for 4/46?       Nelson will get $7-8 million imo.   He's nowhere near great and he has like one above avg season on his resume.   

Corners that are on the up and entering their prime will get more than a safety that's 30 and coming off an injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Release-

Daniel Sorensen

Restructure-

Justin Houston (convert 7 million in base into incentives)

Tag-

Dee Ford (Transition)

Jordan Lucas (orig)

Harrison Butker (ERFA)

Re-sign:

Orlando Scandrick

Damien Williams

Jordan Devey

De'Anthony Thomas

Demetrius Harris

Sign:

FS Earl Thomas (4yr/46m) - Veach has so far shown that he will aggressively go after trade targets in FA.

Draft:

2.  Gerald Willis III, DT  Miami

2.  Emanuel Hall, WR  Missouri

3. Joejuan Williams, CB  Vanderbilt

5. Khalil Hodge, LB  Buffalo

6. Corbin Kaufusi, DL  BYU

7. Kendall Blanton, TE  Missouri

Cut Houston? No. Convert Base? Doubtful given he did it last season. If you want to look at a restructure option it's probably Berry converting up to 8 million of base to bonus.

Not a Devey fan so I'm meh on re-signing him. 

Definitely saved yourself removing Fant in the edit. Can't see him getting out of the first.

Like Willis and hope he's matured.

Not a huge Mullen fan and if I'm going athleticism in 1 at CB I'd rather Sheffield out of OSU. Keep an eye on Kris Boyd.

Keep an eye on Andy Isabella as a receiving option. He's small but super quick and fast with amazing hands. He's torched everyone.

Not a fan of the bigger, bruiser type LBs you've mocked so far. More of a fan of the athletic coverage types available this year.

Fant isn't an all-around TE and I have him 3rd on my board.  I don't see 3 TE's going Round 1.

Smaller backers will get washed out in their actual base D and they would continue to get owned against the run.

Isabella is on my radar.  Will be keeping an eye on his workouts.

Was going to adjust out any contract adjustments in last update and just didn't feel like doing it for reasons?  They have no reason to adjust.  They have a difficult decision coming at OLB though as they won't be able to keep Ford and Houston on long term deals.  Devey is ok depth when you're not relying on Alex Smith.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 8:16 PM, Lamardirts said:

I wouldn't want to resign Scandrick as I think there are players like him every year that we could bring in to sure up weak areas.  He's old and I think Nelson has proven to be an above avg DB.  I think we could get him on a team friendly deal and allow a rookie we drafted to work in along with seeing what Tremon and Ward can do with a full offseason.   It also keeps the total amount paid to our DB's reasonable so we can go after someone like Earl.  If we can get him here on that contract then we should do it.  He has 2 elite years left and probably 1-2 above avg years as well.   If its possible to get him and Berry both back healthy then we turned a weak area into a strength next year.    

I think you have to franchise tag Ford and roll with him, Speaks and Kpass.   They have done pretty well without Houston and you have to believe Speaks and Kpass will continue to develop.   If this is the case we probably need to move up in the first or at least target a pass rusher in the 1st or 2nd.   I don't know what order but S, OLB, CB should be top 3 picks.  Then use that 3rd for an OL or TE or BPA.

They cant leave Speaks at olb. Its a waste of a draft pick and has been a failed experiment. If we stay in an odd front move him up and let him replace bailey. Then go get a REAL edge rusher with one of those first 3 picks.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, liquidfriend said:

FA

Release:

Justin Houston

Daniel Sorensen

Tag:

Dee Ford (Transition)

Jordan Lucas (orig)

Harrison Butker (ERFA)

Re-sign:

Orlando Scandrick

Damien Williams

Jordan Devey

Min. deals

Sign:

Edge Shaquil Barrett (1yr/3.8m--2m more in incentives)

Draft:

Chiefs swap out Nelson with a rookie that has a higher ceiling.

2. Noah Fant, TE  Iowa

The Chiefs add more speed and size to attack Defenses from any level.

2.  Terry Beckner JR, DT  Missouri

A solid inside guy that should be a cheaper alternative than Allen Bailey.

3.  T.J. Edwards, LB  Wisconsin

I think it's about time to abandon the Ragland gamble.

5.  Chris Johnson, S  North Alabama

Has the making of a true center fielder, but is raw as hell and will need development time.

6.  Kendall Blanton, TE  Missouri

Something to work with on the TE depth chart.

7.  Michael Jackson, CB  Miami

I honestly just wanted to say that I drafted Michael Jackson.

How about a mock offseason where they move to an even front. 

Speaks up to base DE which is a better fit. Jones would be just as disruptive inside. Nnadi next to him.

ODaniel to WILL where he belongs. Hitchens to SAM where he belongs.

You cut Houston and let Ford and Bailey walk, you have freed up 30 million.

(Pick/FA) - Jones - Nnadi - Speaks

ODaniel - (Pick/FA) - Hitchens

Fuller - (Pick/FA)

(Pick/FA) - Berry

Something like this?

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Chiefs get the #1 Seed and are eliminated in the first round, again and get the 25th slot.

Changes:

- DC Bob Sutton retires and Steve Spagnuolo is hired as DC, and the Chiefs move to a 4-3

Release:

Daniel Sorensen (I have no idea what the fuck John Dorsey was thinking when he gave that contract out)

Justin Houston (I don't think he fits in a 4-3 at this point, and having him at a 3-4 OLB is hard to justify the salary as is)

Reggie Ragland (With a Defensive change, he no longer fits)

Tag:

Dee Ford (Franchise)

Harrison Butker (ERFA)

Marcus Kemp (ERFA)

Re-sign:

Damien Williams (1yr/2.5m)

De'Anthony Thomas, Demetrius Harris, Anthony Sherman, Lucas, Orlando Scandrick to min deals

Trade:

-LB Dee Ford to the San Fancisco 49ers for 2019 2nd + 2020 3rd (The Chiefs can't give Dee Ford, Chris Jones AND Tyreek Hill mega deals.  I think one person will need to go and Dee Ford makes the most sense.  The 49ers will just miss out on landing Bosa in the draft, so I think landing a proven edge guy would help them in a tough division)

Sign:

CB Rashaan Melvin (2yr/15m--Had a tough year with the Raiders, but anyone that was doing coverage did with the Raiders invisible pass-rush)

Extend:

WR Tyreek Hill (5yr/95m 65m guaranteed -- basically a carbon copy of the OBJ contract the Giants gave him a year ago.  Not quite the receiver OBJ is, but really damn close and with the salary cap rise I think it's fair to match it)

Draft:

1. Mack WIlson, LB  Alabama

Chiefs get a new MLB

2. Amani Oruwariye, CB  Penn State

The Chiefs continue to shore up a god awful CB line up.

2. Marquise Brown, WR  Oklahoma

The Chiefs package a 2+3 to move up and land Brown, who will be a star in a system like Andy's.

2.  Austin Bryant, DE  Clemson

The Chiefs will need to find another DE.

5. Otaro Alaka, OLB  Texas A&M

The Chiefs were lacking a base D OLB, so they fill the need here.

6.  Joe Dineen Jr, LB  Kansas

Excuse me while I puke in my mouth for putting a Jayhawk in this one.  Dude has pretty ok size and is a fucking tackling machine in a conference that has no interest in playing Defense.  I think he at least has a bright future as a Special Teams guy, which don't look now but Dave Toub's squad isn't getting the fucking job done.

7.  Matt Gay, K  Utah

The Chiefs have had a butt kicker, now it's time for a gay kicker.  The Chiefs will ERFA tag Butker in the Spring, but it might be advisable to bring in some camp competition.  If Butker wins it, IR stash the gay kicker.

This is a mock solely based on changing to a 4-3 Defense

Your starting line up would be

Bryant - Nnadi - Jones/Speaks - Kpass/Speaks -- Speaks would flip around between DT and DE.

Alaka - Wilson - Hitchens

Oruwariye - Watts - Berry - Melvin

I like some of it, if we were to go to a 4-3. 

So, I guess Fuller would go to nickel?  He is a better fit there.

Don't know if I see a 5th round OLB starting right out of the gate?  Wouldn't O'Daniel fit there?

Reiter or Devey at Center?  

Good plan overall.

7 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I like some of it, if we were to go to a 4-3. 

So, I guess Fuller would go to nickel?  He is a better fit there.

Don't know if I see a 5th round OLB starting right out of the gate?  Wouldn't O'Daniel fit there?

Reiter or Devey at Center?  

Good plan overall.

Yes, Fuller stays inside where he belongs.

O'Daniel would only be a LB in sub packages. 

Reiter would be the Center.

I think staying with a 3-4 is the best move, but I went ahead and did a 4-3 on as there's a lot of talk about making the switch.  There would certainly be some holes and the SAM position would be one of them.

The way we are handling the OLB I wouldn't mind a switch to 4-3. Jones looks like he'll be just as disruptive as a DT and Speaks/Kpass might actually have a shot there. Not sure we would see such a roster overhaul though, I'm guessing some names will remain on the roster to see if they handle the switch since so many new defenders rarely works, if ever. 

You would be scrapping most of the only part of the Defense that's functionable by changing schemes.

Ford and Houston would be undersized to play DE and Houston would be ungodly slow if he got told to get fatter.  Paying Dee Ford the money he would command to be a LEO rusher would be a terrible business decision.

Jones would be your only real difference maker and he's already a difference maker in a 3-4.

Archived