mock offseason 1.0

liquidfriend

Tag:

Harrison Butker (ERFA)

Marcus Kemp (ERFA)

Dee Ford (Franchise)

Trade:

- Dee Ford to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

With a looming alignment change, it's time to sift out the pieces that aren't going to work.  Dee Ford would not work in a different alignment, but he does have value so I think the right move is to tag and trade here and do it quickly before he can successfully petition his tag designation.

The Bucs are moving to a Defense that would fit him well and they need an instant producer up front.  Arians is not one to slowly build.

Release:
Reggie Ragland (no longer fits)

Justin Houston (Hard to justify 21m no matter what, but especially with uncertainty on a change)

Daniel Sorensen (woof)

Xavier Williams (doesn't translate well over)

Re-sign:

De'Anthony Thomas, Demetrius Harris, Anthony Sherman, Lucas, Orlando Scandrick to min deals

Changes:

Dorian O'Daniel, Anthony Hitchens moved to OLB

Breeland Speaks moved inside to 3-tech

Tanoh moved up as a 7

FA:

DE Brandon Graham (2yr/10m--They also grab his teammate and former Andy Reid guy to be a stop-gap at DE)

MLB Preston Brown (min deal--going to need some depth, too)

Draft:

1.  Mack Wilson, LB  Alabama

The Chiefs have no options at MLB, so this will have to be the top priority going into the draft.

2.  Amani Oruwariye, CB  Penn State

Corner is like 1A in terms of needs.

2.  Deebo Samuel, WR  South Carolina

I like his ability to develop into a go to kind of receiver for Pat. 

2.  Austin Bryant, DE  Clemson

Adding onto the rebuild.

3.  Bobby Evans, OL  Oklahoma

Veach grabs someone that can be an upgrade at LG for today, and take over at LT tomorrow.  Fishers days are numbered.

5.  Andrew Wingard, S  Wyoming

A tackling machine that is capable in coverage. 

6.  Logan Parker, TE  Southern Utah

An interesting piece that could be an effective screen target on short yardage situations, where the Chiefs had some issues in 2018.

7.  LJ Collier, DE  TCU

A developmental DE.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you were right.  Changes my whole draft strategy now.  

Houston will probably be released now.  Bad fit in a 4-3.  Ragland also.  Wasted pick in that trade.

Nnadi actually benefits from this, but I don’t know about Jones.  Speaks inside, I guess.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

Looks like you were right.  Changes my whole draft strategy now.  

Houston will probably be released now.  Bad fit in a 4-3.  Ragland also.  Wasted pick in that trade.

Nnadi actually benefits from this, but I don’t know about Jones.  Speaks inside, I guess.

I think Houston was a prime candidate for a release prior the change, barring some form of a somewhat major restructuring.  Unless he desperately wants to stay and ignores the advice from his agent completely, yeah he's gone.  It doesn't make sense for him to take a big cut unless it was parlayed into a long term extension which the Chiefs shouldn't even consider.

Ragland is absolutely gone for sure.  Jones I really don't know either, which is why I would probably wait before offering any form of an extension.  He'd have to change a lot to play like a Justin Tuck.  Nnadi will get a boost from this yes, and I don't think you could say the same for Williams. 

3 hours ago, xen said:

Love Deebo but not sure about another WR with leg or foot issues.  

If we want someone with ankle issues, Marquise Brown might be a better fit.  He would make our offense ridiculous.  Go ahead, cover him and Cheetah.  I dare you.

Marquise Brown is my top choice, but I'm wary that's going to get overdrafted so I made it a point to not put him in.  I'd be hesitant about Deebo if he hadn't stayed pretty healthy in 2018, but yes I get it.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Btw we might have to move up for Mack but I wholeheartedly agree with that move.

Not too excited with the Penn St corner.  Depends on what Spags is planning.

I put Oruwariye back in because I think Spags is going to run more zone blitzing concepts and I think he's the best option for the Chiefs for a guy that excels in zone.  Mack, I'm really not worried about moving up for.  If they miss out on him, they miss out and can just take Pratt in the next round or Devin Bush at 29 (depending how much his stock rises).

I'm not so sure Spags will run that much zone.  He's done it with man heavy as well.  If he goes heavy zone, Ward is cooked.

I think Mack might be had for a small move up but we've seen teams put a small premium in the draft lately on coverage linebackers, so who knows.  I do know I'm tired of us settling at mlb.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I'm not so sure Spags will run that much zone.  He's done it with man heavy as well.  If he goes heavy zone, Ward is cooked.

I think Mack might be had for a small move up but we've seen teams put a small premium in the draft lately on coverage linebackers, so who knows.  I do know I'm tired of us settling at mlb.

How much would the Chiefs have to move up to get Wright from LSU as compared to Mack?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

How much would the Chiefs have to move up to get Wright from LSU as compared to Mack?

Too much for my tastes.  Of course a lot depends on testing.  White, Wilson and even Bush could be gone where we pick if they test well enough.  They can all play.

Btw LF I like Pratt too but in your mock probably have to use the TB 2nd rounder to get him.  He'll also need a lot of coaching and patience.  Dude is pretty raw.  But pro bowl potential for sure.  Coverage abilities and speed will get him overdrafted.  Love to watch him tackle.  Straight up murders dudes.

18 hours ago, xen said:

Spags Defense is pretty similar to what the Chargers run under Gus Bradley.  That's why it's pretty amusing to talk about what he did in one game vs the Patriots as the current Patriots Offense will rip his Defense to shreds if he sticks with his base concepts.

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Probably close to the Top 5, so not realistic at all.

15 hours ago, xen said:

Btw LF I like Pratt too but in your mock probably have to use the TB 2nd rounder to get him.  He'll also need a lot of coaching and patience.  Dude is pretty raw.  But pro bowl potential for sure.  Coverage abilities and speed will get him overdrafted.  Love to watch him tackle.  Straight up murders dudes.

I've got him pegged as a 3rd rounder currently, so I think they can land him without spending a high 2.

21 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Spags Defense is pretty similar to what the Chargers run under Gus Bradley.  That's why it's pretty amusing to talk about what he did in one game vs the Patriots as the current Patriots Offense will rip his Defense to shreds if he sticks with his base concepts.

What?  No it's not.  Bradley is a Monte Kiffin/Pete Carroll disciple and he's been running a ton of cover 3 zone for years, going back to his Seattle days. 

Spags has been mixing coverage shells for years and mixes up zone with a lot of man.  

Both play versions of the over/under defense but they're pretty different.  No way do I see Spags running a whole game vs Brady in Cover 3 like Bradley did.  That's suicide.  Frankly, Bradley is a good coordinator but what the fuck was he thinking?  

Spags will probably take the Jim Johnson route and just try to murder Brady.

3 hours ago, xen said:

What?  No it's not.  Bradley is a Monte Kiffin/Pete Carroll disciple and he's been running a ton of cover 3 zone for years, going back to his Seattle days. 

Spags has been mixing coverage shells for years and mixes up zone with a lot of man.  

Both play versions of the over/under defense but they're pretty different.  No way do I see Spags running a whole game vs Brady in Cover 3 like Bradley did.  That's suicide.  Frankly, Bradley is a good coordinator but what the fuck was he thinking?  

Somewhat off the subject-

Steve young comes on with Tom Tolbert out  here every Tuesday and is always fantastic breaking games down and talking strategy.

he couldn’t believe the chiefs didn’t even hit Brady once. And he said even if it cost a late hit or something early, chiefs should have got in his head.

he was flabbergasted at the approach. Especially after seeing SD,  not do it.

12 hours ago, xen said:

Nah.  Watch more of what the Giants did in Spags second run.  It's not 2008 anymore.

5 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah a lot of that is mixed zone and man coverage on his 2nd run.

His aggressiveness was toned down a lot and he ran more Cover 3 concepts than he had in the past and relied more on his front 4 to try and get the job done.  Still had quarters concepts and zone blitzing, but definitely toned down.  A large complaint, besides the rumor that he's a total asshole as a person, is the reliance on secondary blitzes.

He waa dumped in favor of Bettcher to amp the preasure up.

Which year are you talking about?   Spags normally mixes in a ton of man coverage with his zone looks, often mixing on the same play.  And it's a lot of press, not off man.  And he blitzes a ton.  And this includes in his last stint with the Giants.  Not sure how much more aggressive you want the guy to be.  They damn sure weren't more aggressive than a normal Spags defense this year.  Their defense sucked out loud.  Like 2018 Chiefs bad.

Now, if you're only talking about 2017 then you probably have a point, but a lot of that was personnel issues and an offense that was constantly putting them in a hole.

Frankly that defense was the only reason the Giants made any noise in 2016 cause that offense was crap. 

I have no idea if he's an asshole.  Could care less if he is.  Lot of great coaches are assholes, including Belichick.  Lot of great chefs are assholes too.  Not sure if there's a correlation.

6 hours ago, xen said:

Which year are you talking about?   Spags normally mixes in a ton of man coverage with his zone looks, often mixing on the same play.  And it's a lot of press, not off man.  And he blitzes a ton.  And this includes in his last stint with the Giants.  Not sure how much more aggressive you want the guy to be.  They damn sure weren't more aggressive than a normal Spags defense this year.  Their defense sucked out loud.  Like 2018 Chiefs bad.

Now, if you're only talking about 2017 then you probably have a point, but a lot of that was personnel issues and an offense that was constantly putting them in a hole.

Frankly that defense was the only reason the Giants made any noise in 2016 cause that offense was crap. 

I have no idea if he's an asshole.  Could care less if he is.  Lot of great coaches are assholes, including Belichick.  Lot of great chefs are assholes too.  Not sure if there's a correlation.

Some of the defensive guys need an asshole in their ears. “Line up on sides you fuck!”

Archived