mock offseason 1.0

liquidfriend

21 hours ago, xen said:

Which year are you talking about?   Spags normally mixes in a ton of man coverage with his zone looks, often mixing on the same play.  And it's a lot of press, not off man.  And he blitzes a ton.  And this includes in his last stint with the Giants.  Not sure how much more aggressive you want the guy to be.  They damn sure weren't more aggressive than a normal Spags defense this year.  Their defense sucked out loud.  Like 2018 Chiefs bad.

Now, if you're only talking about 2017 then you probably have a point, but a lot of that was personnel issues and an offense that was constantly putting them in a hole.

Frankly that defense was the only reason the Giants made any noise in 2016 cause that offense was crap. 

I have no idea if he's an asshole.  Could care less if he is.  Lot of great coaches are assholes, including Belichick.  Lot of great chefs are assholes too.  Not sure if there's a correlation.

He was under 20% in his final stint in NY, I believe.  Compared to Bettcher, who went aggressive over 50% of the time. 

Not sure how else to really explain it.  If Spags was that aggressive his last go around than I don't know why they would have fired him for Bettcher with hopes of being more aggressive.  But I do know he doesn't stay in one place for long.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

He was under 20% in his final stint in NY, I believe.  Compared to Bettcher, who went aggressive over 50% of the time. 

Not sure how else to really explain it.  If Spags was that aggressive his last go around than I don't know why they would have fired him for Bettcher with hopes of being more aggressive.  But I do know he doesn't stay in one place for long.

Giants weren't even in the top 10 in blitz percentage in 2018, let alone over 50%.  Spags last couple years he was around 22% btw.  

I would argue there are other ways of being aggressive on defense besides blitzing all the time but for the sake of arguing here are some end of season numbers for 2018.

IMG_20190129_183859.jpg

But even after all that, with mostly the same shitty players here is the comparison.

NYG points against 2018 - 412

NYG yards given up 2018 - 5942

NYG points against 2017 - 388

NYG yards given up 2017 - 5971

Archived