Mellinger nails why this team isn't same old Chiefs

1st Offensive series of the year

1st & 10 at KC 25

(9:20 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Hunt up the middle to KC 29 for 4 yards (J.Addae; I.Rochell).

2nd & 6 at KC 29

(8:47 - 1st) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short right to S.Watkins to KC 33 for 4 yards (C.Hayward).

3rd & 2 at KC 33

(8:07 - 1st) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes scrambles up the middle to KC 36 for 3 yards (J.Addae).

1st & 10 at KC 36

(7:25 - 1st) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to T.Kelce to KC 42 for 6 yards (K.Emanuel).

2nd & 4 at KC 42

(6:39 - 1st) Tyreek Hill Pass From Patrick Mahomes for 58 Yrds H.Butker extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Winchester, Holder-D.Colquitt.

3 minutes and 39 seconds to score.

and that was the second TD of the game. 1st was Hill's punt return.

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Football Outsiders guy was just on Sportsradio 810 and he gave the Chiefs a 90 percent chance of getting the number one seed. He said the Chiefs are not only number one in DVOA offense but there is rarely such a big gap between number 1 and 2 (NE) in the AFC. In short this is one of the most efficient offenses since they started tracking this two decades ago. He said defenses were all questionable so combined its clear the Chiefs right now are the favorites with the precursor of how injuries can derail anyone at any time. Last year at this time this same guy said the numbers suggested the Chiefs were unlikely to get past the wild card round. 

Of course I take all this with a grain of salt as we all should. But there's some real tangible statistical evidence of just how special this offense and this QB have been through 9 games. Still a long way to the finish line though. 

There is no doubt the Chiefs offense and Mahomie have/are dominant and extremely efficient as I am trying to point out to Jet....they do not miss/squander opportunities.

Injuries on both sides of the ball will determine the season

8 hours ago, qnet said:

It's a big part of it. During the Browns game, they had held them to 327 total yards. The Browns then gained 61 more yards on their last two drives to bring the total to 388. The Chiefs intercepted Mayfield on the next to last drive, and on the last drive gave up another 9 yards and the game was over.  

It's frustrating to watch, but that's the way Sutton seems to play it. 

In comparison, the 2003 defense was pretty decent through the first nine games, then got exposed when they stop getting turnovers.  The 2018 Chiefs are already exposed but seem to be getting better. The difference is the 18 Chiefs offense is younger and very much more talented.

Both teams have positives & negatives. The 03 Chiefs were a less talented veteran group, while this years Chiefs are a more talented younger group.

I'm not sure what's going to happen this year. 

Mike Maslowski getting hurt was why the 03 defense went to hell.  That's when the bottom fell out.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

Mike Maslowski getting hurt was why the 03 defense went to hell.  That's when the bottom fell out.  

You're right!  I had forgot all about him. It's sad because, he never did come back.  I had to Google it, and read he attempted to comeback, but the injuries to his knees was too much for him to perform at the level he wanted.

13 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Our defense is very odd really. If we can get teams in an obvious passing situation on third down we are good at closing them out. And it seems like early in the game we get a few stops to build a lead on most teams. It’s almost like early on we guess right how teams will play us or something. 

But then we will look like Swiss cheese the next few drives.  And this pattern has continued all season. 

I think we’ve proven we can overcome the defensive liability, but it’s a crapshoot of sorts against the likes of NE and Pitt. 

I think we all want to gravitate to the point we expect to win all things being equal rather than hope. 

Just a competent complimentary defense can do that and give us a slew of real shots as good and as young as this offense is. 

This offense is good enough that I do expect to win every week.  I've never felt that way, even during the DV years when we were very good.  That said, I'm fully expecting to have my heart ripped out in January watching Brady drive for a winning score inside the final 30 seconds.  That's a combination of battered fan syndrome and lack of trust in our defense.  If we're talking about the here and now, I think our postseason success hinges on matchups.  If we play teams that are great defensively but average offensively, I think we win.  It's the teams like NE that can score that scare me, because I just know that our defense will be swiss cheese, and we'll end up in a 45-41 type loss.  

On 11/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, Mloe68 said:

Football Outsiders guy was just on Sportsradio 810 and he gave the Chiefs a 90 percent chance of getting the number one seed. He said the Chiefs are not only number one in DVOA offense but there is rarely such a big gap between number 1 and 2 (NE) in the AFC. In short this is one of the most efficient offenses since they started tracking this two decades ago. He said defenses were all questionable so combined its clear the Chiefs right now are the favorites with the precursor of how injuries can derail anyone at any time. Last year at this time this same guy said the numbers suggested the Chiefs were unlikely to get past the wild card round. 

Of course I take all this with a grain of salt as we all should. But there's some real tangible statistical evidence of just how special this offense and this QB have been through 9 games. Still a long way to the finish line though. 

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Archived