Alex Smith take on Mahomes. Class Act

Smith was teammates with Mahomes last season and had a front-row seat for Mahomes' preparation as a rookie, even though he played in just one game.

"Pat has put in the work," Smith said. "He was there so early every single day, preparing himself, learning. I think he heard that none of those Air Raid guys have been able to convert into pro guys, and he worked so hard I think to be ready for this moment. It's not by accident. Every day last year, he was in the building. They had him in there [at] 6 a.m. I told him, 'Get your sleep, too.'"

Smith had his best statistical season for the Chiefs last year, when he led the NFL in passer rating and had a career-high 26 touchdowns. Mahomes had 26 in his first eight games this season and three more in Sunday's win over the Cleveland Browns.

"Nuts, absolutely ridiculous," Smith said when asked to put Mahomes' touchdown numbers in perspective. "You could see right away the upside Pat had and not just the arm talent. I think more so it's his processing speed. He can process what he sees really fast. You knew he was going to make some wow plays. Everybody expecting he would maybe have some learning ones, too. His decision-making is so good. He's ripped ‘em when they're there, when he sees it and throws it. At the same time, when it's not there, he hasn't forced any. That's been the most impressive thing to me from afar. But the numbers? They're just absurd.

"The cool thing is that they're kind of tailoring [the playcalls] to the guy. You can certainly see how they've tweaked it with me gone and Pat stepping in, and [they're] letting it become his. They're letting him take ownership and not just running what I ran last year."

48 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yeah, great guy to watch as a rookie. Tough as nails and always says the right thing.

This is one thing that I took as important that I know that other people don’t. I love that Mahomes hasn’t showboated. He hasn’t shown that immaturity that a lot of players do.

I feel that mojo and everything can be there without pushing it. It looks like he is having fun and he is learning. He didn’t throw anyone under the bus ever. He’s never made comparisons of himself to Smith that I know of and even if he did, it would be as a result of a question.

I like that he’s acted professional, before and after taking over. There’s so much manufactured bullshit out there to make people seem intimidating or seem larger than life. I feel that he is confident and hard-working.

He shouldn’t have to keep answering questions about what Smith taught him, but when he has been asked that, I don’t feel that he is giving lukewarm talk. I think he would get annoyed after time, but he hasn’t shown that annoyance.

we needed alex in the worst way..

I am very glad he came to kc, and glad that we got mahommes... I cant express in words how happy i was when we traded up to get him.

Alex has dealt with the entire scenario with the same class, as I wish i could if I had been put into his situation. 

There is really no more anyone could of asked from him.  

My coworker is Orsen Charles cousin and he tailgated with the Charles and Mahomes family last November. He asked Pat Mahomes 1 how Alex has been for P2. And he went on and on about how great Alex had been with his son. Basically taking him under his wing in every sense of the word on and off the field. There's zero doubt thats part of the reason he's advanced beyond where any of us thought at this point. Again Im very glad we repayed Alex by working with him on which team we would trade him too. And I fully expect he will be in the Ring of Honor here one day. 

I love Mahomes history with his dad. This is just another day at the office. He knows how to handle fame and the money.

He does have some limitations though. For example, he only has 10 fingers which is not enough for all those rings he is going to win.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, robgar said:

we needed alex in the worst way..

I am very glad he came to kc, and glad that we got mahommes... I cant express in words how happy i was when we traded up to get him.

Alex has dealt with the entire scenario with the same class, as I wish i could if I had been put into his situation. 

There is really no more anyone could of asked from him.  

I think millions and millions of dollars helps with being a team player ;)

But in all seriousness, he's an alright dude and did what he could while he was here.  

Nothing bad can really be said about Alex off the field or from being an exemplary professional. But I will still forever hate the style of play he has on the field and would prefer to not watch him ever again. Probably a guy who will make a much better coach than player.

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Nothing bad can really be said about Alex off the field or from being an exemplary professional. But I will still forever hate the style of play he has on the field and would prefer to not watch him ever again. Probably a guy who will make a much better coach than player.

I’d say the odds he coaches anything more than voluntary high school type stuff are very slim.  Even more slim he’d win as many games as a coach if he did. 

15 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I think millions and millions of dollars helps with being a team player ;)

But in all seriousness, he's an alright dude and did what he could while he was here.  

There are more than enough examples to prove that it doesnt always work that way. 

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I’d say the odds he coaches anything more than voluntary high school type stuff are very slim.  Even more slim he’d win as many games as a coach if he did. 

He might be useful in coaching the QBs but shouldn't be calling the plays.  Working for Andy might be okay.  Smith did a good job of bringing Mahomes along but who knows if that translates into a good QB coach.

Rather than starting another thread about this, posting it here: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/11/16/alex-smith-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-john-feinstein-book-excerpt

Some good quotes and talked about perspective. I feel you can fight it for a year and lose your job and future or you can embrace the situation, do as best as you can, and maybe another opportunity opens up. Obviously, he would’ve liked to stay here because we have a better team, but he did his best and got another opportunity in Washington. And helped Mahomes along the way.

12 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

Rather than starting another thread about this, posting it here: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/11/16/alex-smith-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-john-feinstein-book-excerpt

Some good quotes and talked about perspective. I feel you can fight it for a year and lose your job and future or you can embrace the situation, do as best as you can, and maybe another opportunity opens up. Obviously, he would’ve liked to stay here because we have a better team, but he did his best and got another opportunity in Washington. And helped Mahomes along the way.

This is really a life lesson about owning a situation and not letting it own you.  He embraced his added role as mentor and that competition Mahomes brought. He was ultimately rewarded for it with a career season and a trade to a solid team. IE: He refused to be a victim.  

Archived