How does this O line slow the Rams?

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Sammy Watkins (foot) will not practice Saturday.

Watkins wasn't spotted during the early portion of Kansas City's practice. He was downgraded Friday, so this isn't a good sign for his availability ahead of Monday night. Chris Conley was in on 91.5% of the Chiefs' offensive snaps without Watkins in their last game, but saw just two targets on the day.

Like I posted, foot injuries can be prolonged and nagging.  He could be fine by next week or done for the season.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news.  Conley is a possession receiver, has great hands, can jump for the ball and come down with it, and knows all the routes. He blossomed last year.  He just needs to get his rhythm with Mahomes.  Problem is that he cannot block as well, run after the catch as well, is not as big and strong, and is slower than Watkins. But he can get it done as far as catching the ball, especially with Mahomes threading the needle. One other thing...he is not as good in the slot and is basically a wideout.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Like I posted, foot injuries can be prolonged and nagging.  He could be fine by next week or done for the season.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news.  Conley is a possession receiver, has great hands, can jump for the ball and come down with it, and knows all the routes. He blossomed last year.  He just needs to get his rhythm with Mahomes.  Problem is that he cannot block as well, run after the catch as well, is not as big and strong, and is slower than Watkins. But he can get it done as far as catching the ball, especially with Mahomes threading the needle. One other thing...he is not as good in the slot and is basically a wideout.

Conley is faster than Watkins.  

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s really not even close. Watkins ran a 4.46 at combine. Conley a 4.35.   

I didn't know that.  I have seen him make a lot of good catches, but I have not seen him burn people. I have always seen Watkins described as "extremely fast." At least he "plays very fast."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983597-sammy-watkins-breaking-down-clemson-wrs-pro-day-workout

27 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Conley doesn't look as fast this year.

Do you think he’s ever looked fast?  There are guys that play faster than they clock like Watkins and guys like Conley that seem to lack short burst quickness to get into open field and use speed.  

43 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I didn't know that.  I have seen him make a lot of good catches, but I have not seen him burn people. I have always seen Watkins described as "extremely fast." At least he "plays very fast."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983597-sammy-watkins-breaking-down-clemson-wrs-pro-day-workout

Completely agree with that. He’s clearly not quick but you’d think at some point he would have burned someone over the top. I don’t even think he runs routes like that if that tells us anything.  

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s really not even close. Watkins ran a 4.46 at combine. Conley a 4.35.   

Well, that equates to about one yard in forty.  Getting off the line, making the quick cuts and running good routes make up for that yard easily.  We've also seen Watkins make good yards after catch.  How may YAC does Conley have in his few receptions?  Not even close as to which is most efficient in the Chiefs' offense.

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Well, that equates to about one yard in forty.  Getting off the line, making the quick cuts and running good routes make up for that yard easily.  We've also seen Watkins make good yards after catch.  How may YAC does Conley have in his few receptions?  Not even close as to which is most efficient in the Chiefs' offense.

All true Jet but 4.35 to 4.46 is significantly faster.  To put in perspective Tyreek ran a 4.26 which is closer to Conley than Watkins is. There’s clearly much more to getting open than speed. I was simply pointing out the fact Conley is faster even though it clearly hasn’t translated into big plays for him.  

Love Conley’s combination of size and speed. Wish he could turn it into production. He will get the chance it looks like. Honestly I have more faith in Robinson than him for getting open. Missing the quick twitch or something. Got a little Jonathan Baldwin in his game. I hope he does well. Wish he was more allusive.

18 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Conley is faster than Watkins.  

Jet's point hits the nail on the head.  Watkins plays much faster.  His change of direction, cuts, etc. means he PLAYS much faster than Conley.  I think he gets himself open more than anyone else on the teamm maybe in the league.  Mahomes has to spread it around, but I read that Watkins is consistently open more than the other guys. Kelce uses his body better than anyone in the league to beat defenders, but Watkins uses his quickness, knowledge and balance to accomplish many of the same things. Conley is a good player with good downfield speed, but for quickness, I actually prefer D Rob to him.

55 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Conley is faster but not as agile as Watkins so plays slower. Nevertheless he has a unique combination of size and speed which could be a major factor going forward, hopefully he comes up big. 

I remember last year, Alex Smith threw some big play deep passes to Conley a few times. Depends on who is covering him.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Heyward-bey ran a 4.3, it doesn't make him better than Watkins, hell he sucked.

Again the comment was made Watkins is faster than Conley.  When in fact Conley is clearly faster. That’s all I was pointing out.

Archived