Stepfather of Mahomes' girlfriend dies after passing out at game

Sad News, makes me wonder if pat knew about it at all during the game...

The stepfather of Brittany Matthews, who is the girlfriend of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, died Sunday after passing out at the game between the Chiefs and the Arizona Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, according to an Instagram post from Matthews Sunday evening.

Matthews made the announcement on Instagram around 6 p.m. central time, along with a photo of her standing on the Arrowhead Stadium sideline before the game that she says was taken right before being told her stepfather had passed out. She also included photos of her stepfather receiving medical attention and included the following message: 

"Today is a day I will never forget! Directly after this picture I sprinted to the front entrance to see my stepdad passed out! He did not come back from this and he was called to heaven today! I KNOW 100% he is so happy up there with his kids looking down on us cheering loud that his Chiefs won today! Thank you everyone for the prayers and sweet text! We will miss you Paul So So So Much! I will take care of mom for you!"

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid announced following the game that Mahomes would not be participating in his normally scheduled postgame media session due to a family emergency, the nature of which was unknown until Matthews shared the news of her stepfather's passing on Instagram. It's unclear when Mahomes found out about what happened or if he had knowledge of it while playing in the game.

Mahomes threw for 249 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions on the day while leading the Chiefs to a 26-14 win over the Cardinals. One of those touchdowns broke a club record previously owned by Len Dawson for most touchdown passes in a single season that stood since 1964. Reid as mentioned did not elaborate during his postgame press conference about the issues Mahomes was attending to after the game but did give a comment about the level of play Mahomes has shown throughout the season, which has seen him throw for 3,150 yards, 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions while leading the Chiefs to a 9-1 record.

"Listen, he’s had a heck of a year," Reid said. "He’s playing his heart out. I love the backside of that – the preparation and how he goes about his business day in and day out. You guys have a chance to see him at practice early and he comes out every day, he’s bringing energy, and you make sure that he has his things in order when he does that. He’s got a lot on his plate as far as responsibility goes to run the offense, and he takes care of that. He’s in a position where he can make everybody better around him, and he’s doing that. I’m proud of him for how he’s going about his business."

Archived