Ragland loses position to Ben by the end of the year?

Could Ben play well enough to take his job?   IMO Ragland looks worse than he did at the beginning of the year when he was suppose to be overcoming an injury.  He looks indecisive and slow.  Not saying Ben is better or anything but for those of you who know more.   Is there a chance or are they both pretty bad and we will have to address this position in the offseason.   Hitchens is here for a couple because of what is now looking like Veach's first bad contract.   

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy to think what was suppose to be a strong unit is on pair with being our worst with the safety group and the safety group was ravaged by injuries.    If a RV gets through the line they are picking up big chunks of yards because the LBs are sitting back waiting and getting mauled by Olineman or taking bad angles or missing the hole all together.   Glad the front 4 are coming into there own which masks some of those issues.

8 hours ago, xen said:

Don't think you can judge hitch just yet. Guy is changing schemes and sutton likes it complicated.  Give him some time.  He's obviously thinking instead of reacting so I'll wait til he gets the position down next year.

Sounds like you think Werthers is coming back next year. Shoot me now Xen.

They're not cutting Hitchens after 1 year.

Now, cutting Ragland is definitely a possiblity, it would save $1 million with no dead cap space and would allow Niemann more reps and PT to develop.

Ragland can't tackle or cover so not sure what he provides at this point.  He showed upside last year, but has been disappointing so far.

I would be fine with cutting him to move Niemann in. 

5 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I think we saw the plan today, especially if berry comes back. They want berry and lucas playing safety most the time.

ilb will be ragland and hitchens when we need to stop the run, passing situations will be odaniel and sorenson 

Did I miss something yesterday with lucas playing. I'm all for lucas getting playing time I only noticed him on special teams

8 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

Did I miss something yesterday with lucas playing. I'm all for lucas getting playing time I only noticed him on special teams

You may be right as i saw murry in there more than anyone would like, it is painfully obvious lucas is currently our best safety.

so i guess i should rephrase and say im hoping the plan is a healthy berry and jordan lucas at safety. 

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

ILB will be a draft priority unless the Chiefs find a good FA.  Ben isn't better than Ragland in the plays that I saw, but he does have room to improve.  

There’s very little chance we bring in another fa at ilb unless it’s someone really cheap.  Hitchens got the big deal last year, so the draft is the answer for the other side.  I’ll be shocked if ilb isn’t our first pick in the next draft. 

22 minutes ago, moons314 said:

There’s very little chance we bring in another fa at ilb unless it’s someone really cheap.  Hitchens got the big deal last year, so the draft is the answer for the other side.  I’ll be shocked if ilb isn’t our first pick in the next draft. 

I think we go safety in round one. Corner and ILB round 2. Obviously this oversimplifies draft board but it’s ideal anyway and would almost certainly make a quick  impact.  

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

I think we go safety in round one. Corner and ILB round 2. Obviously this oversimplifies draft board but it’s ideal anyway and would almost certainly make a quick  impact.  

Could be a combo of those 3 and depends who BPA is at the time we pick in those positions. I think we take care if a spot or two in FA and the could see DL or even pass rusher in there too.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I think Veach would be more inclined to pluck a corner from the free agent market. Our top two picks will likely be safety and inside linebacker, with the order depending on availability and who grades where.  I could absolutely see a scenario where we trade into the first round and address both needs.   Well likely be looking at the safety position the following offseason as well, because I think 2019 will be Berry’s last season here. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Prepared to be shocked than.

33 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I think Veach would be more inclined to pluck a corner from the free agent market. Our top two picks will likely be safety and inside linebacker, with the order depending on availability and who grades where.  I could absolutely see a scenario where we trade into the first round and address both needs.   Well likely be looking at the safety position the following offseason as well, because I think 2019 will be Berry’s last season here. 

I think we resign both Nelson and Fuller in the next two offseasons which makes any legit free agent very unlikely. We can balance those contracts with a rookie contract and get a legit talent in the first few rounds.  

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

I can 1000% promise you ILB will NOT be our first round pick next year.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I know things change with predraft workouts and the combine, but this years crop of safeties looks really shallow as of now as far as round 1 type talent.

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think we resign both Nelson and Fuller in the next two offseasons which makes any legit free agent very unlikely. We can balance those contracts with a rookie contract and get a legit talent in the first few rounds.  

Agreed. They may sign another depth corner but Nelson is starting to really ball and is earning himself a nice payday. Hes the 11th ranked corner in the league right now. I agree FS makes the most sense in rd 1. Hope there is somebody there worth taking.

Archived