Ragland loses position to Ben by the end of the year?

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Tag him for one more year then if he plays well and is still injury free see a bjj out signing him. If not, let him go but dont break the bank on him. Bad enough we have had 2 other injury filled contracts taking up so much money in Houston and Berry.

Not sure if that scenario is viable. Ford is already injured, he's playing through it in the contract year. If tagged for a year and stays healthy he'll be 29 with back problems during his career, not many teams will go out splashing big money for the long term. A holdout is very likely until a long term deal or a trade. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if that scenario is viable. Ford is already injured, he's playing through it in the contract year. If tagged for a year and stays healthy he'll be 29 with back problems during his career, not many teams will go out splashing big money for the long term. A holdout is very likely until a long term deal or a trade. 

Still I would not pay him big money. He can hold out all he wants, it will only make him less desirable in the market. I just dont want to waste money on a guy that never played through injuries or earned his draft spot until his contract year. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I don't know why you keep saying this. He's not injured. Hes not hiding or playing through an injury to get paid. He's got a quicker get off than just about any edge rusher in football right now. Now way he is playing with this kind of explosiveness hurt. 

30 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don't know why you keep saying this. He's not injured. Hes not hiding or playing through an injury to get paid. He's got a quicker get off than just about any edge rusher in football right now. Now way he is playing with this kind of explosiveness hurt. 

Reid came out saying that he's injured and playing through it. There was even talk about him missing some time (I think after the 49ers or Denver game) but he didn't miss any. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Still I would not pay him big money. He can hold out all he wants, it will only make him less desirable in the market. I just dont want to waste money on a guy that never played through injuries or earned his draft spot until his contract year. 

I'm fine with that approach. So far the only player with injury history that worked out for us has been the most unlikely one (Kelce). The rest have all been dealing with major injuries with big contracts. 

The question is as long as he's healthy how much is his performance worth on the field. Pass rushers make a lot of money but not many are as bad as Ford in the remaining aspects of the game. It's not easy to find a good comparison of his skills to actually determine a price and the FA market only loves going up. If you ask me a 1st would be a steal for us in a trade but we would be giving up on his 3rd down contributions hoping that Speaks or KPass can replicate it or get close. 

45 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Reid came out saying that he's injured and playing through it. There was even talk about him missing some time (I think after the 49ers or Denver game) but he didn't miss any. 

He strained his groin almost two months ago. Sure he’s probably playing through some pain but so are most of the players.  If he keeps himself on the field we’d be crazy to let him walk for a late third comp pick.  That’s really the point.  And that was my preference before the season started. He’s just too valuable right now if he can hold up to stick with that.  

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He strained his groin almost two months ago. Sure he’s probably playing through some pain but so are most of the players.  If he keeps himself on the field we’d be crazy to let him walk for a late third comp pick.  That’s really the point.  And that was my preference before the season started. He’s just too valuable right now if he can hold up to stick with that.  

So do we release Houston? Or committ 35 + mill to the 2 of them next year between the franchise number and Houstons contract?

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

That was the MRI thing if I'm not mistaken, also he has bruised ribs which Reid mentioned as "not broken" and still suffered back pain. I think he can be tagged and traded for a 1st, I'm pretty sure a 4-3 team would love to have his first jump and his shortcomings wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

So do we release Houston? Or committ 35 + mill to the 2 of them next year between the franchise number and Houstons contract?

I think we have to let Houston walk with that monster CAP hit even though I still think when healthy he’s our best all around defender.  Allows us to tag Ford as a wash.  We can’t let them both go.  

I’m starting to lose any faith in Tanoh. Love to see him actually get on the field.  And again we both agree Speaks isn’t a long term answer there. So where does this leave us. 

22 minutes ago, sith13 said:

That was the MRI thing if I'm not mistaken, also he has bruised ribs which Reid mentioned as "not broken" and still suffered back pain. I think he can be tagged and traded for a 1st, I'm pretty sure a 4-3 team would love to have his first jump and his shortcomings wouldn't be as much of an issue. 

Hitchens and Ford both have bruised ribs?  

Ford is still playing through the groin strain. He reinjured it or strained it again against the Broncos at our house and they have been cautious with him since. My question is would he play through this if not a contract year? That is how we have to look at it because he has had some type if injury every year it seems where he missed time and the back issues are huge to have. Again if he could be stellar against the run and in coverage I would feel better but he is a pure rusher is all and I cant see committing a huge contract to him.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think we have to let Houston walk with that monster CAP hit even though I still think when healthy he’s our best all around defender.  Allows us to tag Ford as a wash.  We can’t let them both go.  

I’m starting to lose any faith in Tanoh. Love to see him actually get on the field.  And again we both agree Speaks isn’t a long term answer there. So where does this leave us. 

I think they move Speaks up to take Baileys spot. Saves over 7 million against the cap and puts Speaks in a more natural position to be disruptive against the run and the pass. Keep Houston for 2019 and draft a replacement. If he is cut after 2019 his dead cap number is less than 2 mill. 

With Ford and Bailey both playing this year at an 8 million dollar cap number, letting Bailey walk with his replacement in house and franchising Ford becomes a wash financially. Wont be in any worse cap shape at all. 

Archived