Azteca Stadium Field is not in good shape right now, NFL getting involved

44 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Altitude nor air quality will tear ACLs/MCLs or injur a player. Shitty fields will.

Andy Reid isn’t concerned so why should I be?  On the other hand there probably was never a worse playing surface in pro sports history than the old Vet in Philly so maybe he’s not the right guy to ask. 

My point about the field is the NFLPA will have to sign off on it. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Andy Reid isn’t concerned so why should I be?  On the other hand there probably was never a worse playing surface in pro sports history than the old Vet in Philly so maybe he’s not the right guy to ask. 

pre season game at the Vet was cancelled once before because of huge seams that were exposed- Brian Billick got the Player rep to phone the union to comp[lain and Andy agreed at the time that player safety was more important. Jeffrie Lurie was pissed.

9 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

pre season game at the Vet was cancelled once before because of huge seams that were exposed- Brian Billick got the Player rep to phone the union to comp[lain and Andy agreed at the time that player safety was more important. Jeffrie Lurie was pissed.

They cancelled HOF game  a few years ago because of field conditions in Canton.  

11 minutes ago, dksww said:

Schefter reporting the NFL is discussing whether to have it in L.A. or Mexico City right now.

NFL still set on Chiefs-Rams game in Mexico City despite field concerns

11:18 AM ET

Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

The NFL is still determined to play next Monday's game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams at Mexico City's Estadio Azteca, league sources told ESPN, despite significant concerns about the poor playing surface.

"We are working closely with the field manager at Azteca Stadium and others to ensure that we have an NFL-quality surface for our game, and we are looking forward to kicking off in Mexico City on Monday night," said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.

Significant discussions are underway about whether the game will be played in Mexico City, Los Angeles or postponed, according to sources, and a decision is expected this week.

One source said he still expects the game will be played there. But another source said he thought moving the game to Los Angeles still is an option that will be decided this week.

The issue is that soccer games and concerts have left the field a mess. The teams are aware of the situation, and the NFLPA is concerned and has been monitoring it closely.

NFL officials are expected to convene at the stadium Tuesday in a meeting that was previously scheduled to examine the playing surface and make a final decision about whether the game

can and will be played there, sources said. If it is not, the game would be moved to Los Angeles.

The Rams left for Colorado Springs on Monday to train at altitude for a week before traveling to Mexico City.

latest from Schef

Adam Schefter‏  @AdamSchefter

Discussions continue about whether Monday night’s Chiefs-Rams game will be played in Mexico City, LA or postponed, per sources. NFL determined to play it Monday night in Mexico City, but the field is “a mess” and might not be safe for players. It’s a significant concern.

25 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

latest from Schef

Adam Schefter‏  @AdamSchefter

Discussions continue about whether Monday night’s Chiefs-Rams game will be played in Mexico City, LA or postponed, per sources. NFL determined to play it Monday night in Mexico City, but the field is “a mess” and might not be safe for players. It’s a significant concern.

i think the decision may be made today so ESPN and others have time to prep if the venue is changed...sucks for fans who may already be down there on vacay if they do relocate

23 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

saw this on twitter, this is what it looks like today:

Dr5ka_lU0AA3pWD.jpg

You really can’t tell anything by pictures.  A field can look cosmetically awful as became the norm at Arrowhead in November as the summer grass blend died.  And yet be perfectly fine to play on. Or vise verse. Heck we play on a freakin dirt baseball field once a year. What your really looking for are large divots, seams or unsettled turf that can’t be repaired. Concerts on stadium turf almost never works out well. They should have had an immediate plan to replace turf after that although that creates its own issues.  

All that said field looks significantly better today.  

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I live in the Springs, when we would go TDY for an extended period it would take us awhile to get our lungs back. Not a lot running when we returned, at least not at top speed.

Remember, Andy's not concerned about the D either, so why should you.😉

12 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I live in the Springs, when we would go TDY for an extended period it would take us awhile to get our lungs back. Not a lot running when we returned, at least not at top speed.

Remember, Andy's not concerned about the D either, so why should you.😉

I've had some experience with playing games in Vail and it was pretty brutal even as I was in my early 20s. I heard one of the Sporting KC players describe playing there though and they said its awful. The air quality combined with altitude has actually made it where a few guys had coughed up blood before. We need to have a plan here because extreme fatigue can cause some real injury issues too. I do find it interesting we aren't even trying to acclimate.

4 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

If Monday night’s game is played in Mexico City, a number of Rams and Chiefs players are now strongly considering not playing in that game on that messy surface, per sources. “It’s not fair to risk our health,” one prominent player said today.

Hopefully that prominent player is Gurley.  And Goff. 

5 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

If Monday night’s game is played in Mexico City, a number of Rams and Chiefs players are now strongly considering not playing in that game on that messy surface, per sources. “It’s not fair to risk our health,” one prominent player said today.

If resodding the field won't work. Then nothing will and they have to move it. Maybe the cartels are posing some threat we aren't hearing about. 

This could actually be a good thing for KC. Since they didn't make arrangements to move practice their schedule really isn't horked up. The Lambs on the other hand was planning to go to the Springs and practice Thursday, Friday and Saturday which meant they have to travel on Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday. That pretty much means they lose two days of prep.

Not that it probably matters but who knows. Making player's jump through the hoops takes a little out of them.

Won't blame a aingle person for sitting if they place in Mexico City.  

Hell, both teams should sit and they should play a bunch of back ups like it's the 4th pre-season game.  

NFL should take it right on the chin for not making sure the field was in good shape well in advance.  They had over a month to prepare.

Archived