Sutton’s Defense - Mellinger article

I’m not even close to letting him off the hook because the last few games have been “better”. The last thee games the D has still allowed nearly 20 pts a game...against some of the most offensively inept teams in the league...with two of the three at home.  His playmakers have been guys that he’s been too stubborn to play until injuries have forced his hand.  He still continues to put his players in a position to lose,  and the defense is performing in spite of him, not due to him.  The simple fact that this article was published during rams week pisses me off, knowing full well that win or lose, everything positive in this article will be erased when the Rams offense rolls.

I think expecting the Chiefs defense to hold the Rams to under 30 points is unrealistic.  At best, we keep them to high 20s and at worst, we allow mid 40s.  If we can pressure Goff and even slightly slow Gurley we’ll be in good shape.  

I wanted Sutton gone as much as the next guy after the last playoff loss, but the reality, again, is that we’re not playing with a full deck of cards, presently. I think he gets one more year in 2019 to prove his worth (assuming we don’t get trounced in the playoffs) when presumably we have a healthy roster infused with new defensive talent.  It sucks not having Berry and it sucked losing Armani Watts, who was starting to make some plays for us.    

It kind of like the DV years actually. I believe when all you talent is on one side of the ball, that side will be better.

He is decent. What he has done here over the years with very little talent is pretty impressive. With Houston and Berry out, there is not much money on the field.

Its a good opportunity for Sutton to make strides, but we all know that Sutton zones up and plays soft against good offenses and QBs while dialing it up and being aggressive against trash teams.

Against the Rams, he'll just rush 4 all game and play soft zone in the back 7 to prevent the big play while the Rams eat us up completing short passes to the the RBs and TEs.  The only hope is O'Daniel, Sorenson and Hitchens can make open field tackles to limit huge gains.

I'm not expecting Sutton to have spent all week diving into the film on how to stop the Rams.

He'll play it safe all game and hope to hold them to 3 in the red zone.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

It kind of like the DV years actually. I believe when all you talent is on one side of the ball, that side will be better.

He is decent. What he has done here over the years with very little talent is pretty impressive. With Houston and Berry out, there is not much money on the field.

Berry, Hali, Houston, and Poe?  Not exactly a lack of talent a few years ago.

We are either not nearly as good at identifying talent on the defensive side or we are not developing it as well.  It's not like we've ignored defense.   Dee Ford, KPass, Chris Jones, Peters, Speaks, Nnadi, Nelson, O'Daniel, Russell, Gaines are all early round draft picks.  And some of our bigger splashes in free agency were defense--Fuller and Hitchens.  

43 minutes ago, jetlord said:

And we were a top 5 defense with those guys.  This is now one of the youngest defenses in the NFL and really needed Houston and Berry as veteran anchors rather than Parker, Zombo and Scandrick.  Hopefully we are headed toward that day in December. 

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

sunshine pumping article. he's dead even with G Rob in my book until proven other wise..this week  might nudge him above G Rob status

Completely disagree with this as Sutton has proven when he has talent his scheme can produce an elite play making unit.  But that’s not really relevant.  What’s ironic to me about this comparison is that both Sutton and Robinson are the exact same age.  67.  That’s really odd when you think about it. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Tons of injuries in that group. Not a lot of production much of the time on the field. If you compare the production to the cost, they haven’t been a good investment. 

We were top 10 in points allowed with the D carry the team to the playoffs most of those years. Remember the O sucked until last year, but we still dominated the division for a long run.

Yeah...not buying into the defense just yet. If they hold their own and look solid against the Rams (even if we lose) I might come around. But we haven't exactly played elite teams the past few weeks. The step up in class between Arizona and the Rams is huge!! The defense is going to need to get at least 2 maybe 3 stops. If we force 3 punts I will feel good about our chances.

Oh and the offense needs to not commit a turnover.

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Completely disagree with this as Sutton has proven when he has talent his scheme can produce an elite play making unit.  But that’s not really relevant.  What’s ironic to me about this comparison is that both Sutton and Robinson are the exact same age.  67.  That’s really odd when you think about it. 

Who won't look elite, when you have elite talent? Sutton sucks. That is all.

I'm not sure about Sutton. I've heard his defensive schemes are complicated. The problem with that IMO is,  when the complexity slows the defenders down because they're thinking too much, and still does nothing to fool the offense. I hate to say it, and want to be proven wrong, but that's very Greg Robinson-like. 

My problem is not just the Chiefs defense, but the NFL in general, is tackling.  You're always going to get beat at times, but if the defenders would just wrap the offensive player up instead of shoulder tackling, a lot of long plays would be avoided.  I wonder if it has to do with the new rules and less practice time. 

On 11/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, qnet said:

I'm not sure about Sutton. I've heard his defensive schemes are complicated. The problem with that IMO is,  when the complexity slows the defenders down because they're thinking too much, and still does nothing to fool the offense. I hate to say it, and want to be proven wrong, but that's very Greg Robinson-like. 

My problem is not just the Chiefs defense, but the NFL in general, is tackling.  You're always going to get beat at times, but if the defenders would just wrap the offensive player up instead of shoulder tackling, a lot of long plays would be avoided.  I wonder if it has to do with the new rules and less practice time. 

In general complex means bad. Even if there are a lot of variables a good coach is the one making it simple. Not sure about the rest of the NFL but in our case tackling seems non-existent. 

Archived