Berry back at practice after the Bye. New Info

Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry is officially listed as doubtful for Monday night and will in all likelihood miss his 100th day of team activities, having not practiced since August 11 due to a sore heel.

But Berry’s absence from workouts could change very soon, according to a report Sunday morning from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

LA CANFORA: Berry continued to make strides from a long-term heel injury, and could be back as soon as after Kansas City’s Week 12 bye, sources said.

Berry will not play in Monday’s clash with the Rams – one of the most anticipated games of the season – and has yet to practice, but the team made a point to take every precaution with the playmaker and has been eyeing the weeks following the bye to implement him back into the lineup. It’s expected Berry would begin practicing after the bye, with a return in Week 13 or 14 likely at this point.

This is obviously good news, though it’s hard to know what is true and what isn’t since reports just like this have come through before.

That being said, after Monday, the Chiefs have just five games left in the season. It is unlikely he would still hold a roster spot if there was absolutely no intention to bring him back into the mix.

The bigger picture here is that the Chiefs offense is Super Bowl caliber. I don’t think anyone would deny that. With the defensive playing well as of late due to the health improving of both Justin Houston and Daniel Sorensen, Berry could be the final piece to the franchise’s first title since 1969.

Here is the remaining schedule after th

True, but there's been really no info out of the Chiefs to base this opinion on.

And yes, the Chiefs have held Berry's injury close to the vest, but still, until I hear Andy Reid say Berry will practice and play I'm not assuming anything.

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I honestly think this was the teams plan the entire season. Hold him back for a playoff run

Being 9-1 gives KC more time with this injury. I agree. Chiefs have the luxury of giving guys more time to mend!

Id give anything to see a report come out that Berry actually had surgery on his bone spur during pre-season and been week to week recovering.  I just don’t see how waiting can fix his spur issue.  Nothing can heal until surgery happens so I’m just confused on how he can be week to week with a active bone spur.  

36 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Being 9-1 gives KC more time with this injury. I agree. Chiefs have the luxury of giving guys more time to mend!

I'm not a doctor, is this a condition that will heal.? And if not, why didn't they have surgery when they first knew about it? You would think he would've been rehabbed by now.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

Id give anything to see a report come out that Berry actually had surgery on his bone spur during pre-season and been week to week recovering.  I just don’t see how waiting can fix his spur issue.  Nothing can heal until surgery happens so I’m just confused on how he can be week to week with a active bone spur.  

" Nothing can heal until surgery happens".....Says Dr Balto......😉 

1 minute ago, tges58 said:

I'm not a doctor, is this a condition that will heal.? And if not, why didn't they have surgery when they first knew about it? You would think he would've been rehabbed by now.

Not a doctor either but what I have read is no it can’t heal BUT depending on how bad it could just be a pain management issue.  You see this happen with Soccor players and wearing modified shoes to not rub on the spur location.  In extreme cases it seems a spur can put extra pressure on the Achilles and raise the risk of tearing the Achilles.  

Im wondering if it’s just a pain issue but KC doesn’t want to risk him playing a full season to risk Achilles injury and then get spur fixed in the off season.  Still agree that it should of just been fixed ASAP when they found the issue.

Usage creates swelling which creates pain. The more use, the more pain and at its worst is bad enough you can barely walk. But it is manageable especially in the short term.  If this is really all he’s dealing with, this scenario makes sense.  

Until he’s back on practice field though, we can only hope.  And again I’m not sure why surgery wasn’t done initially with designation to return. Makes me think it may not be this simple. 

17 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Usage creates swelling which creates pain. The more use, the more pain and at its worst is bad enough you can barely walk. But it is manageable especially in the short term.  If this is really all he’s dealing with, this scenario makes sense.  

Until he’s back on practice field though, we can only hope.  And again I’m not sure why surgery wasn’t done initially with designation to return. Makes me think it may not be this simple. 

The chiefs doctors and trainers need to come to this site for answers. Surprised they do not. 😜

16 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

How effective will Berry actually be though? He hasn’t played in forever. Rust and football shape have to be taken into consideration.

75 percent of Eric Berry may be 50 percent better than what we have now.  But no doubt he needs PT and game reps to be effective in January.  We can’t just throw him out there and expect an impact player.  

40 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

75 percent of Eric Berry may be 50 percent better than what we have now.  But no doubt he needs PT and game reps to be effective in January.  We can’t just throw him out there and expect an impact player.  

So glad the WE on this board does not make decisions. Chiefs are not we. I trust KC Staff to do what is best. 😉

7 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So glad the WE on this board does not make decisions. Chiefs are not we. I trust KC Staff to do what is best. 😉

Just pure semantics.  If you are a fan then It’s we to me. They don’t let team President Mark Donovan make any coaching or personal decisions either by the way. 

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

After the way they mismanaged Justin Houston’s injury and now this, I doubt they want any face time.  

How much was mismanagement vs players not doing what they were told? I've read stories and have seen people who were told not to walk on leg or foot injuries but did anyway. Other people told not lift things after shoulder injuries but did so anyway.

These athletes are egotistical and proud, they believe they know best when it comes to their bodies. How many times have you heard players say their ready to play when the coaches and medical staff say they aren't. Or even in some cases they have said I can't play even though nobody knows why.

I would say a little of both are to blame.

Archived