Berry back at practice after the Bye. New Info

5 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

How much was mismanagement vs players not doing what they were told? I've read stories and have seen people who were told not to walk on leg or foot injuries but did anyway. Other people told not lift things after shoulder injuries but did so anyway.

These athletes are egotistical and proud, they believe they know best when it comes to their bodies. How many times have you heard players say their ready to play when the coaches and medical staff say they aren't. Or even in some cases they have said I can't play even though nobody knows why.

I would say a little of both are to blame.

I totally understand your point and it absolutely applies to most us who ignore PT and just about anything else our Doctor says. It would be interesting to know contractually how players have to handle PT and things like that. I would think its very closely micromanaged. But in the case of Houston they completely misdiagnosed what was wrong. I think actually Jamaal Charles a few years back as well. This seems similiar or we would have put him on the IR. Maybe my frustration is indeed misplaced but it seems like we have some issues. 

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I totally understand your point and it absolutely applies to most us who ignore PT and just about anything else our Doctor says. It would be interesting to know contractually how players have to handle PT and things like that. I would think its very closely micromanaged. But in the case of Houston they completely misdiagnosed what was wrong. I think actually Jamaal Charles a few years back as well. This seems similiar or we would have put him on the IR. Maybe my frustration is indeed misplaced but it seems like we have some issues. 

Teams generally hire outside medical staff to deal with the players specifically in such cases. I'm pretty sure they have a crew working with Berry. 

In Houston's case they simply diagnosed it wrong and not sure about the Charles situation. In Berry's case I think they made some bad estimations regarding the timeline or there's some specific thing about his heels besides the spurs that is not disclosed. Keeping a guy out of practice for 100 days for something people get treatment and fully heal in 4 months (or less if done via non-invasive treatments) just doesn't make any sense and the doctors definitely know better than us to make such a mistake. 

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

It actually pisses me off seeing him on the sideline, like when he went over to 'console' Scandrick after he was getting abused early on.  Hey you want to console someone, do it on the field...

I made a sarcastic remark about this on the game day thread.  I totally agree.

Wouldn't it be great to see Berry get a couple of snaps against OAK, play half the snaps against BAL then play full time against the Chargers and Seahawks?  His experience and instincts would overcome the rust, especially compared to Murray and Parker.  Getting LDT and Morse back would also be a big boost if they could get back before the playoffs.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:02 AM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

How much was mismanagement vs players not doing what they were told? I've read stories and have seen people who were told not to walk on leg or foot injuries but did anyway. Other people told not lift things after shoulder injuries but did so anyway.

These athletes are egotistical and proud, they believe they know best when it comes to their bodies. How many times have you heard players say their ready to play when the coaches and medical staff say they aren't. Or even in some cases they have said I can't play even though nobody knows why.

I would say a little of both are to blame.

Wasn't that what happened to Charles?  He went against doctors advice and pushed to much and too hard.  So you do have a valid point.  

With that said what is the threshold for this injury?   Can we really expect him to play 5 regular season games and then jump back in for a 3-4 playoff games depending?   This has a feeling of mismanagement/player not wanting surgery that turns into a major issue.   He needs 2-3 weeks minimum to get back into game shape hard for me to think that action alone won't cause enough swelling to force him to sit a couple weeks and then we are back to square one.    

Just odd all the way around.

Archived