Scored 51 and lost

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought defensive game plan was solid. Sell out to stop Gurley and not let the Rams control the clock. This left us very succeptable to big plays which we countered by trying to get after Goff.

When we didn’t get to him the solo coverage with no safety help was going to give up big plays but they really went after and crushed Scandrick. Ironically if Scandrick holds onto the ball the game would have been over as they had no timeouts. Brutal night for him. 

In short we looked perfectly content with a game plan of getting into a Mahomes vs Goff track meet.  Unfortunately Mahomes brilliance wasn’t able to overcome his own turnovers in this plan. He just got too greedy and held ball too long or tried to force a few plays there were better options         

Bottom line is we turned the ball over 5 times on the road against a great team and still had a very legit chance to win. That’s pretty remarkable. Clean that up and get a little more from defense and we have a real shot to be playing in Atlanta in February.  

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

I thought defensive game plan was solid. Sell out to stop Gurley and not let the Rams control the clock. This left us very succeptable to big plays which we countered by trying to get after Goff.

When we didn’t get to him the solo coverage with no safety help was going to give up big plays but they really went after and crushed Scandrick. Ironically if Scandrick holds onto the ball the game would have been over as they had no timeouts. Brutal night for him. 

In short we looked perfectly content with a game plan of getting into a Mahomes vs Goff track meet.  Unfortunately Mahomes brilliance wasn’t able to overcome his own turnovers in this plan. He just got too greedy and held ball too long or tried to force a few plays there were better options         

Bottom line is we turned the ball over 5 times on the road against a great team and still had a very legit chance to win. That’s pretty remarkable. Clean that up and get a little more from defense and we have a real shot to be playing in Atlanta in February.  

Until this defense gets better I can’t see it happening.  If we end up playing Pitt or NE, it’s could easily be a similar result as last night.  

9 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont care what our record is. I dont care about strip sacks and short fields. Bob Sutton should be fired tomorrow. Period.

There has to be some accountability. Starts with the guy that runs the show on defense. We already lost a game we scored 40 points in this season. 

We just scored 51 points and lost. His fate should be sealed.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on Sutton, I want a defensive rebuild in the off-season with him gone and a few players replaced.

However, the Chiefs made way too many mistakes on both sides of the ball;  13 penalties and 5 turnovers.  2 turnovers by the offense were returned for TDs by the Rams.

If you take away 1 of those return TDs by the Rams and half the penalties I'm guessing the Chiefs win the game by 7 to 10 points.

I don't know what team/defense that exists that can stop teams like the Rams, Chiefs, Patriots, Saints and even the Steelers.  I mean, Wade Phillips is regarded as a top flight DC and his big name defense gave up 51 points at home. 

I've never seen anything like last night my whole life of watching football where a team gets penalized 13 times with 5 turnovers and still scores 51 points.

During the bye week, Reid needs to make cleaning up the penalties priority #1. 

If they are thinking about promoting from within I would just fire Sutton and let the replacement showcase his abilities with the current team. If they just want to hang on to Sutton until the end of the season and make drastic changes that's another story though. The last option (keeping Sutton) is just stupid and not sure if anyone would back that move. 

12 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

Until this defense gets better I can’t see it happening.  If we end up playing Pitt or NE, it’s could easily be a similar result as last night.  

i would wager to say that this would NOT be the case.

those defenses are more capable than the Rams because they are a team defense.

15 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

Minus the turnovers we already won in Pittsburgh and would’ve won in NE.  No reason we can’t beat those teams, especially at Arrowhead. We’ve got a really good team. 

14 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

You crybabies never change.  No one's defense is stopping the Chiefs, either. 

Just because we've lost 2 ROAD GAMES to top 5 offenses doesn't mean all this doom and gloom season is over bullshit.

The Rams, Patriots, Steelers and Saints ALL have terribly ranked defenses.  The Saints have had 2 really good weeks in a row against bad teams, but they gave up over 30 to the Rams in that game as well.

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

i would wager to say that this would NOT be the case.

those defenses are more capable than the Rams because they are a team defense.

The Pats and Steelers' defenses are not good. 

5 minutes ago, dksww said:

You crybabies never change.  No one's defense is stopping the Chiefs, either. 

Just because we've lost 2 ROAD GAMES to top 5 offenses doesn't mean all this doom and gloom season is over bullshit.

The Rams, Patriots, Steelers and Saints ALL have terribly ranked defenses.  The Saints have had 2 really good weeks in a row against bad teams, but they gave up over 30 to the Rams in that game as well.

You’re missing the point.  The Chiefs lost against NE and LA when they had chances to win.  Nobody thinks the season is over or that it’s all doom and gloom, but it’s fair to question how this team will win in January against other teams that can put up as many points as we can score.  If we don’t get home field advantage we likely won’t beat the Patriots in NE.  It’s that simple.  

Guys, we know the defense was a problem last year and needs an overhaul.

But FFS, please try to realize that NO ONE ELSE is stopping the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Steelers and Patriots' offenses either.

Yes, the Pats have had 3 turd games but you know better.

The Steelers got slowed down last week by JAX but you know JAX has their number and PIT will continue to rack up points.

The Rams aren't getting stopped by anyone and neither are the Saints.

Just now, Legend of AC said:

You’re missing the point.  The Chiefs lost against NE and LA when they had chances to win.  Nobody thinks the season is over or that it’s all doom and gloom, but it’s fair to question how this team will win in January against other teams that can put up as many points as we can score.  If we don’t get home field advantage we likely won’t beat the Patriots in NE.  It’s that simple.

Well no shit, Sherlock?  You mean to tell me you're trying to tell me that nobody wins in Foxboro in the playoffs?  No shit.  They've lose 3 home playoff games since 2001.

Give me a break dude.

1 minute ago, dksww said:

Guys, we know the defense was a problem last year and needs an overhaul.

But FFS, please try to realize that NO ONE ELSE is stopping the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Steelers and Patriots' offenses either.

Yes, the Pats have had 3 turd games but you know better.

The Steelers got slowed down last week by JAX but you know JAX has their number and PIT will continue to rack up points.

The Rams aren't getting stopped by anyone and neither are the Saints.

Saints already stopped the Rams.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

We turned the ball over 5 times and gave up 2 defensive TDs.  That’s why we lost plain and simply.  

I remember DV used to have a chart, turn the ball over this many times and this is your chances of winning.  5 turnovers and - 3 in the turnover differential and I bet that percentage is 10 pct if not lower. 

4 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

So you’re confident playing Pittsburgh in KC in the playoffs?  

Yes, absolutely.  You think PIT wants to come to KC and play the way we shredded their defense in PIT?

Every high powered offense we've faced this year has been on the road.  We've gone 2-2 against the likes of LAC, PIT, NE and now LAR.

That's all you can realistically ask for.

Just now, Legend of AC said:

No, likely not.  But this team has a spooky history of losing in the playoffs under all sorts of crazy circumstances.  Thus, nothing would surprise me. 

It does, but it's never had a QB and offense like this before. 

At some point we as fans are going to have to let go of the past.  I've tried this season but I still catch myself saying things just like this from time to time.

Archived