Amid all the disappointment of losing, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is Butker's missed kick early in the game. I know kickers aren't robots and misses will occur during the season. BUT, that was a close kick, not a 50 yarder or anything. And when you do the maths guys, IF he had made that kick, the Chiefs have the ball with over a minute to go and would have only needed a field goal to win. These are the sort of mistakes over the course of a game that can come back to bite you. Just like Pat throwing the interception before half time at New England, if we take the field goal then the Pats are down three when Brady had the ball last instead of being level and only needing a field goal to win. This why the Pats have been so dominant, because they are masters of not hurting themselves. Anf this is something we need to work on moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

True, but they did rough the kicker.  I've been concerned with Butkers misses this year as well.  I'm wondering if he is losing focus because he doesn't get used much.  Damn first world problems.  

Tucker missed the first PAT of his career which cost us the Saints game....it happens

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Same could have been argued that the Roughing the kicker call in the PITT game gave the Chiefs a 1st down instead of Ben with 1:51 to play and 75 yds to go.

Luck is fickle

No.  That roughing call was with 12 seconds left.  Game was over.

He's still a young kicker that has been around for a year since he was a PS guy for half a season. Last year's workload was probably much better to keep him in shape but this year's adjustment to the new offense will be a growing period for him as well. Colquitt has been around since forever and even he had to adjust to lessened workload. I wouldn't start worrying about Butker until next year and still expect him to miss some kicks.

Of course he's got 10 more attempts than ANYONE else in the NFL and 25 more than the league average, so he does actually get a lot of work. Not to mention A LOT more kickoffs than anyone too.

Plus he's 17-18 on FGs with his only miss from 54 yards.

Still he has had some issues all year with Extra points being pulled a bit. Doesn't take much with a pull to miss it sometimes. Its not a mental thing but anyone who plays golf knows a little hiccup in the swing is hard to navigate out of quickly. So it is a little bit of concern to me this year. Time off will likely take care of it if coaching and repitetion in the short term can't. He's an elite young talent and his overall numbers are insanely good for his short career.  

50 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

No.  That roughing call was with 12 seconds left.  Game was over.

My bad- the Play by play is a bit confusing here

4th & 6 at KC 41

(0:05 - 4th) (Punt formation) D.Colquitt punts 33 yards to PIT 26, Center-J.Winchester, fair catch by R.Switzer. PENALTY on PIT-T.Matakevich, Roughing the Kicker, 15 yards, enforced at KC 41 - No Play.

(0:12 - 4th) Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:51.

Archived