Did Rams-Chiefs change Football forever?

And is this the brand of football we really want?

Defenses have been handcuffed for years now since Peyton Manning started complaining about the Pats CB's "mugging" the Colts receivers in the AFC title game in 2004. The rules changed and PI and DHolding started getting called.

Now with rub routes and pick plays, the Offenses are getting more latitude than ever to operate. Any handfighting is called as DPI, very few Offensive PI's (pushing off, etc) are called. Defenseless receivers,  targeting calls.....

Is this what you want?

Me myself no.   One of my favorite games was a 15 to 13 slugfest in 90 NFCCG between SF and the Giants. 

Having said that the average football fan loves it.  That was the highest rated Monday night game in 4 years.  The fantasy geeks will love it to.  Going to be a generation that this kind of football is all they know. 

9 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Me myself no.   One of my favorite games was a 15 to 13 slugfest in 90 NFCCG between SF and the Giants. 

Having said that the average football fan loves it.  That was the highest rated Monday night game in 4 years.  The fantasy geeks will love it to.  Going to be a generation that this kind of football is all they know. 

Thats why I loathe going to the bar to watch it or someone's house. No one is really paying attention, then clap and cheer when something happens.

I sit in silence with the remote in one hand to switch from my game to RedZone channel, or other game and phone for twitter updates while making notes on a scribble pad.

I miss the days of real defense. Dale Carter would not have been able to play in this league as physical as he was.  There has to be a level playing field. At this point, I'd be leery to signing big name defensive free agents or investing much in defense at all.

What team out there really has an elite defense now? Bears maybe? But I don't see them slowing us down.  I don't enjoy a league that consists of a few defensive stops a game. Need balance 

It will probably swing back to more defense in a few years.  To me, something like 25 - 30 points should win most games.  Holding the other team to less than 20 shouldn't be unusual.  I hate to see hitters swinging for home runs when there's runners on second and third and no outs.  Same with football.  It's a better game when there's balance between offense and defense and players can play the game right.  To many ESPN highlights and not enough grind it out, ball possession football.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

It will probably swing back to more defense in a few years.  To me, something like 25 - 30 points should win most games.  Holding the other team to less than 20 shouldn't be unusual.  I hate to see hitters swinging for home runs when there's runners on second and third and no outs.  Same with football.  It's a better game when there's balance between offense and defense and players can play the game right.  To many ESPN highlights and not enough grind it out, ball possession football.

Strikeouts outnumbered hits this past year for the first time in recorded history.

There needs to be some defense put back into the game- I am all for getting rid of helmet to helmet hits, hitting defenseless receivers, etc, but some of these calls are ridiculous. And the penalties are too- 5 yds and automatic first down for Defensive Holding? Would they even had made the catch let alone the First down? DPI is spot of the foul, auto first down? Then OPI should be half the distance to the goal, no matter where you are on the field. 60 yd penalties are ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

And is this the brand of football we really want?

Defenses have been handcuffed for years now since Peyton Manning started complaining about the Pats CB's "mugging" the Colts receivers in the AFC title game in 2004. The rules changed and PI and DHolding started getting called.

Now with rub routes and pick plays, the Offenses are getting more latitude than ever to operate. Any handfighting is called as DPI, very few Offensive PI's (pushing off, etc) are called. Defenseless receivers,  targeting calls.....

Is this what you want?

This concussion thing is a major deal for the future of the sport in general which is a big factor here as well. But in the end the NFL has seen four straight years of sagging ratings turned around by these explosive offenses. Although you could also make the case just some new superstars at the QB position is driving it just as much. The teams that saw the impact of these rule changes and adapted are now ahead of the game. But the game is always in transition. Innovative DCs will recognize the type of players you need on defense are changing. One thing is absolutely certain. Its more important than ever to have a top shelf QB. And its always been really important. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The college game where OPI is a max of 15 yds. seems better, but then we'd have the scenario where the beaten defender just tackles the receiver before the catch when he's beaten deep.

Then add that to this section

Unsportsmanlike conduct by players (also disqualification when flagrant)

He tackles him and its flagrant- that should be half the distance to goal and ejection.

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

This concussion thing is a major deal for the future of the sport in general which is a big factor here as well. But in the end the NFL has seen four straight years of sagging ratings turned around by these explosive offenses. Although you could also make the case just some new superstars at the QB position is driving it just as much. The teams that saw the impact of these rule changes and adapted are now ahead of the game. But the game is always in transition. Innovative DCs will recognize the type of players you need on defense are changing. One thing is absolutely certain. Its more important than ever to have a top shelf QB. And its always been really important. 

Ravens, Bucs and Broncos won with Superior defenses and noodle armed QB's

I agree with the drafting of playmakers like an Ed Reed, Ty Law on Defense.....LB'ers are also getting phased out because they cannot cover in the middle of the field. The new Offensive concepts incorporate crossing routes on every play by the TE's or slot even WR essentially emptying out the middle, resulting huge gains.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Then add that to this section

Unsportsmanlike conduct by players (also disqualification when flagrant)

He tackles him and its flagrant- that should be half the distance to goal and ejection.

Would you want to leave it up the the discretion of the sorry officials of last Monday night what is flagrant?  Bad idea IMHO.  Maybe tackling the receiver before the ball arrives could result in a penalty somewhat past the spot of the foul.  Have to give it more thought.

20 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The last rule change that favored the defense was the Pushout rule where if it was deemed the Receiver would have come down with the ball in the field of play with two feet, it was ruled a catch. Thats gone now but that was what, a couple of years ago?

Another area where the discretion of the official messed it up as often as not.  Better rule today.

Either way that was one of the best football games I've ever seen. And its not like the defenses played no factor. They combined for eight sacks, four forced fumbles and three defensive TDs. And it was the defensive play the went right through the defenders hands that would have been desicive the other way. 

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Would you want to leave it up the the discretion of the sorry officials of last Monday night what is flagrant?  Bad idea IMHO.  Maybe tackling the receiver before the ball arrives could result in a penalty somewhat past the spot of the foul.  Have to give it more thought.

i think if implemented it would be check/reviewed by NY......

30 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

The last rule change that favored the defense was the Pushout rule where if it was deemed the Receiver would have come down with the ball in the field of play with two feet, it was ruled a catch. Thats gone now but that was what, a couple of years ago?

Defenders used to be able to get away with murder...

Archived