Did Rams-Chiefs change Football forever?

I can’t take credit for this...but it takes a dynamic QB, talented weapons, and an innovative offensive play caller to pull this off.  Even with the changes in the game, that’s not a combo that a lot of teams will have.  You can’t pick up a Mahomes or Goff on every street corner and you can’t find a Mcvay or Reid anywhere either....may be imitated by other teams, but hard to duplicate...just like Golden State...everyone wants to move to their style, but it’s obviously easier said than done(present losing streak excluded...lol)

Not many games will be as high scoring or thrilling as this one but with the ways rules have been changing the old fashioned smash-mouth football will be out of the mix in a few years. NFL seems to be evolving more towards NBA, which is frightening for those that like the way game used to be played rather than how it is played now. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

The future belongs to Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, and Mahomes.

Good thing is that list has 3 NFC names on it although Watson and I think eventually Mayfield are prime AFC candidates along with our guy. 

Playoffs this year will feature old guard future HOFers vs new blood hopefuls on both sides of the table.  That’s pretty compelling all around. 

Easy way to reduce concussions and increase defense is get rid of illegal contact or let the defenders put hands on WRs up to 10 yards not 5. Will slow down things and people will not be running full speed. May make more teams look to run.

Though, it really takes a good QB and scheme to put up these numbers. College football has generally failed to teach QBs how to read defenses themselves so I think even more QBs are ill prepared to be successful in the NFL. The disparity between the best QB and worst QB will grow.

I’d also say, the Rams and Chiefs are two of the worst defenses in the league. Sure, their defensive line is disruptive, but their LBs and DBs are not good.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

If Trubisky had the weapons that Mahomes has, he would be up there pretty high.  Have to see more of Watson, but he does know how to win.

To a degree. He doesn’t have the arm strength to do what pat does with our weapons. It does matter in the way kc is doing things.

9 hours ago, Calichief said:

To a degree. He doesn’t have the arm strength to do what pat does with our weapons. It does matter in the way kc is doing things.

He does not have the talent too imo. Mahomes makes plays when most would be screwed even if they had the same weapons. He has the ability to throw at different arm angles, learns fast because of his memory and study of tapes plus remembers if anything new was used while playing. He is a stud period. I dont believe Trubisky would have us at our current record let alone TDs and such if he was here and I do think Chicago would be even better with Mahomes as a qb right now if they were switched.

7 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He does not have the talent too imo. Mahomes makes plays when most would be screwed even if they had the same weapons. He has the ability to throw at different arm angles, learns fast because of his memory and study of tapes plus remembers if anything new was used while playing. He is a stud period. I dont believe Trubisky would have us at our current record let alone TDs and such if he was here and I do think Chicago would be even better with Mahomes as a qb right now if they were switched.

Absolutely. Well said.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:05 PM, Handswarmer said:

Thats why I loathe going to the bar to watch it or someone's house. No one is really paying attention, then clap and cheer when something happens.

I sit in silence with the remote in one hand to switch from my game to RedZone channel, or other game and phone for twitter updates while making notes on a scribble pad.

You're a freak!! Ya know that don't cha?

No, this isn't my kind of football

this is

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/9/7871727/1969-kansas-city-chiefs-defense-super-bowl-history

It's a long read, but last couple of paragraphs compare the 69 Chiefs to other more famous defenses.

Peeps still talk about the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears, but the 69 /Chiefs only fault was they were still in the AFL

1 hour ago, the Warparty said:

No, this isn't my kind of football

this is

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/9/7871727/1969-kansas-city-chiefs-defense-super-bowl-history

It's a long read, but last couple of paragraphs compare the 69 Chiefs to other more famous defenses.

Peeps still talk about the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears, but the 69 /Chiefs only fault was they were still in the AFL

Was the 69 defense really any better than 1997 group who went an NFL record 10 straight games without surrendering a second half TD?

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Was the 69 defense really any better than 1997 group who went an NFL record 10 straight games without surrendering a second half TD?

Yes, IMHO.  Solid at every level and probably the best trio of LBs we've ever seen.  How many points did the 1997 version give up in Arrowhead in the playoff loss?

On 11/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, oldtimer said:

I like defense

Count me in on this thought too...

I just happen to also be a sooners fan. The Sooners look exactly like a college version of the chiefs. All offense and absolutely no defense.

For someone like me who actually appreciates the game of football, I don't like it. It resembles flag football or arena league. I know there are a lot of people who actually like to see all of this offense with tons of points being scored (my wife is one them), but I guess I'm a "purist" and it feels gross...

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end the game some of us love, but it's definitely changing.

19 minutes ago, artsy said:

I just happen to also be a sooners fan. The Sooners look exactly like a college version of the chiefs. All offense and absolutely no defense.

For someone like me who actually appreciates the game of football, I don't like it. It resembles flag football or arena league. I know there are a lot of people who actually like to see all of this offense with tons of points being scored (my wife is one them), but I guess I'm a "purist" and it feels gross...

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end the game some of us love, but it's definitely changing.

Well, at least Michigan has a great college defense.   Oh, never mind. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yes, IMHO.  Solid at every level and probably the best trio of LBs we've ever seen.  How many points did the 1997 version give up in Arrowhead in the playoff loss?

They gave up 14 points to the number one offense in the NFL with a HOF QB, RB and TE.  It was the fewest points the Broncos scored all season.  Of course they didn’t have a HOF QB like the 1969 team and only scored 10 points ourselves. Not really worth debating over but a fun thought. 

46 minutes ago, artsy said:

The Chiefs do things well on defense (top 3 on third down and sacks) unlike OU who’s entire group is a complete disaster.  I mean you guys let KU score 40 on you. It’s almost incomprehensible to me that a team who gets to pick its own talent could be THAT bad. They even tried firing their Bob Sutton which of course didn’t help at all. There’s a real talent issue there somehow.  

Archived