Mellinger: E. Berry to practice week of OAK game

26 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I could be wrong here, but I thought I read somewhere that there is some sort of procedure where they use sound waves to break up the bone spurs.  My question is: if some procedure was an option, then why not do it in August so he can get back ASAP?

Who knows what the whole story is....?  We might never get the facts.

Exactly right we’ve got no idea exactly how all this played out or if any procedure was actually done.  I know Berry has been working out in typical beast mode according to Dee Ford though. This would seem to indicate it’s been PT, no running and no procedures.  As I said before from what we know, Andy Reid can’t be happy with his medical staff. But we may not know everything.  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Exactly right we’ve got no idea exactly how all this played out or if any procedure was actually done.  I know Berry has been working out in typical beast mode according to Dee Ford though. This would seem to indicate it’s been PT, no running and no procedures.  As I said before from what we know, Andy Reid can’t be happy with his medical staff. But we may not know everything.  

We know he is out and cant be counted on. 2 years and half a game played for all thar money

10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

We know he is out and cant be counted on. 2 years and half a game played for all thar money

The money is pretty irrelevant.  Nothing anyone can do about that once the contract is signed.  What is very relevant is what is being done to get him in a position to help us win a Super Bowl both this year and next.  And that’s what we don’t know. How realistic is a comeback now minus surgery is. Or if some surgery was done. Or if playing him now could make it worse for next year.  Or if it matters.  Lots of question but none are about the money.  That’s spent.  

4 hours ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I could be wrong here, but I thought I read somewhere that there is some sort of procedure where they use sound waves to break up the bone spurs.  My question is: if some procedure was an option, then why not do it in August so he can get back ASAP?

Who knows what the whole story is....?  We might never get the facts.

My cousin had it for his knee and resumed his daily life within a month. Obviously he's not an athlete but still was able to run in the mornings. I'm not sure if it's an option for every kind of spur but if it can work on the knee sure can have some effect on the heel and hopefully Berry has gone through some sort of treatment. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

My cousin had it for his knee and resumed his daily life within a month. Obviously he's not an athlete but still was able to run in the mornings. I'm not sure if it's an option for every kind of spur but if it can work on the knee sure can have some effect on the heel and hopefully Berry has gone through some sort of treatment. 

I am occasionally surprised by how behind the technology some of these high-powered sports doctors actually are.  They seem so conservative at times.  I say that as a retired physician. To me, it indicates that this spur is pretty smooth, not sharp.  Nevertheless, action shold have been taken a few months ago, instead of all this "day to day" B.S. we have been fed.

10 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The money is pretty irrelevant.  Nothing anyone can do about that once the contract is signed.  What is very relevant is what is being done to get him in a position to help us win a Super Bowl both this year and next.  And that’s what we don’t know. How realistic is a comeback now minus surgery is. Or if some surgery was done. Or if playing him now could make it worse for next year.  Or if it matters.  Lots of question but none are about the money.  That’s spent.  

Money being taken up by cap space and a roster spot does impact us. Whether signed or not they were weary of his health before signing and it cost us to wait. Maybe Dorsey had a good idea after all but it was more to his recovery if cancer then what he is going through now. I still think we cut him when feasible, hell if he cant stsy healthy next year I would look at a injury settlement lr flat out cut and eating what we must.

42 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Money being taken up by cap space and a roster spot does impact us. Whether signed or not they were weary of his health before signing and it cost us to wait. Maybe Dorsey had a good idea after all but it was more to his recovery if cancer then what he is going through now. I still think we cut him when feasible, hell if he cant stsy healthy next year I would look at a injury settlement lr flat out cut and eating what we must.

You can’t go backwards and undo the contract.  So there’s nothing you can do about the money.  Reality is right now Berry has a chance to earn that money by helping us at a position of gigantic weakness st the most crucial time of the season. What we have to hope for is that the medical staff put him in the best position to do that.  And that’s where I’ve got little confidence.  

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

You can’t go backwards and undo the contract.  So there’s nothing you can do about the money.  Reality is right now Berry has a chance to earn that money by helping us at a position of gigantic weakness st the most crucial time of the season. What we have to hope for is that the medical staff put him in the best position to do that.  And that’s where I’ve got little confidence.  

I agree but playing devils advocate and revisionist in me wishes we maybe listened to Dorsey. Thet money sitting the last 2 years could have been used on a few positions is all I am saying.

MY TAKE>>>>>AT THIS POINT BERRY SHOULD TELL US SOMETHING> SERIOUSLY >>>>JUST TELL US!

TODAYS PRESS CALL WITH REID.

Reid was not clear on what to expect from the nine-year Chiefs safety as he attempts to return from more than a year out of game action.

“I think we’ll just take that day by day and just see how he does,” Reid explained. “I don’t have an expectation either way on that. I wouldn’t know how to gauge that right now. I know he is feeling better—he’s gotten a little bit better every week. It’s not one of those things that heals overnight. That’s not how that works, so I think we just start him off slow.

“Let’s see what he can do when that thing feels right, whether it’s this week, next week, whenever. Again, there’s no expectation there.”

The Chiefs begin practicing in preparation for the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday. Judging from the sound of Reid, it appears that whether Berry returns to the field is still very much up in the air

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

MY TAKE>>>>>AT THIS POINT BERRY SHOULD TELL US SOMETHING> SERIOUSLY >>>>JUST TELL US!

TODAYS PRESS CALL WITH REID.

Reid was not clear on what to expect from the nine-year Chiefs safety as he attempts to return from more than a year out of game action.

“I think we’ll just take that day by day and just see how he does,” Reid explained. “I don’t have an expectation either way on that. I wouldn’t know how to gauge that right now. I know he is feeling better—he’s gotten a little bit better every week. It’s not one of those things that heals overnight. That’s not how that works, so I think we just start him off slow.

“Let’s see what he can do when that thing feels right, whether it’s this week, next week, whenever. Again, there’s no expectation there.”

The Chiefs begin practicing in preparation for the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday. Judging from the sound of Reid, it appears that whether Berry returns to the field is still very much up in the air

So he's simply day to day :angry:

How is he getting better needs to be the question. Did they treat condition and it’s improving or is it simply pain/swelling has diminished to level he can practice.  If im Chiefs beat writer I’m going directly to medical staff and looking for that answer.   Of course HIPA laws mean they may not answer. So I’d ask Berry himself.  

At this point the beat writers should be embarrassed they’ve allowed themselves to be stonewalled. Do your job!

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

So I’d ask Berry himself.  

At this point the beat writers should be embarrassed they’ve allowed themselves to be stonewalled. Do your job!

And Berry will answer honestly one way or the other. He's a company man who will give the company answer.

What does he gain by saying he's ready to play and it's up to the coaches. Or, what does he gain by saying he's still working through the injury and is doing what the medical staff is telling him to do. Oh that's right nothing. All that would happen is the fans would have fodder one way or the other to throw up on boards and argue around the water cooler.

27 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

And Berry will answer honestly one way or the other. He's a company man who will give the company answer.

What does he gain by saying he's ready to play and it's up to the coaches. Or, what does he gain by saying he's still working through the injury and is doing what the medical staff is telling him to do. Oh that's right nothing. All that would happen is the fans would have fodder one way or the other to throw up on boards and argue around the water cooler.

What I'm looking for is some accountability from the medical staff who has a track record of misdiagnosing injuries with Charles, Houston and even Alex Smith. The role of the media is to expose things like this and create accountability rather than just taking company line answers on everything. The Chiefs have their own PR department that can do that for us. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

What I'm looking for is some accountability from the medical staff who has a track record of misdiagnosing injuries with Charles, Houston and even Alex Smith. The role of the media is to expose things like this and create accountability rather than just taking company line answers on everything. The Chiefs have their own PR department that can do that for us. 

And you're not going to get it. So what's next.

I want to win the mega millions too but it ain't going to happen. 

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

After the Houston and Charles incident I would expect to see some changes in the staff or the way things are handled. Most of the time the diagnostic services are outsourced and should be relatively easy to find a better one. 

On 11/25/2018 at 12:02 PM, dksww said:

well, I thought I saw it on Twitter but looking again I'm not seeing it.  I misspoke on that.

I saw this also, don't know how much you can take it seriously

Tom Martin‏ @TomKCTV5

Can confirm reports that the #Chiefs plan for Eric Berry to practice this week. He might play vs. Raiders. Everything will be on a pitch count and heavily monitored.

Archived