This just destroyed the locker room

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it shocked the lockerroom and messed with the game plan today.  Who knows Kareem might have been the focal point on our offense this weekend, but we responded well and got the win.    Also Mahomes while not his best still followed up a 5 TO game with 4TDs/0TO's so thats another bright spot.   

As expected, Conley was a fine receiver in place of Watkins.  He continued his emergence from last year.  Ware is still getting his confidence in his leg back and had a couple of good runs.  Damien Williams shows a lot of flash as everyone expected.  Once the Williams' and Ware get their footing and lots of reps, our RB by committee situation will be pretty damned good.  I was a little disappointed in the pass rush, but they were beasts at forcing fumbles. Carr played better than he has since 2016 and gave my fingernails a lot of tasty fragments until the very end.  A good division game.  There is no such thing as a gimme game in the NFL.

Read reports that the locker room after the game was almost a funeral like.   No dancing, no loud music playing as typical after a win.  You could tell in the performance that the team was still shocked and it makes sense, it was only 48 hours after all the news broke.  Hopefully things being to normalize a bit for the team including getting Ware/Williams reps at RB to help with that process.  

I must say though, how bad are the Raiders.  At home against a team who just went through all that drama, who you could tell was just going through the motions and they still could beat us, lol

31 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Read reports that the locker room after the game was almost a funeral like.   No dancing, no loud music playing as typical after a win.  You could tell in the performance that the team was still shocked and it makes sense, it was only 48 hours after all the news broke.  Hopefully things being to normalize a bit for the team including getting Ware/Williams reps at RB to help with that process.  

I must say though, how bad are the Raiders.  At home against a team who just went through all that drama, who you could tell was just going through the motions and they still could beat us, lol

Maybe it was more about the team being shocked that they let the Raiders in the Game.  Honestly........Should not have been dancing based on that performance.

38 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Zero prep time to get first team reps for these other running backs either. Andy still dialed up 170 rushing yards obviously using more RPOs for Mahomes that the Raiders weren't expecting. That'll only work for so long. Offense just didn't look nearly as dynamic despite scoring 40 points against an awful defense. It's a different team today than it was last week. Andy's got his hands full kind of reinventing this thing on the fly. Would help to get Watkins back. Having Eric Berry out on the field would have to lift the team spirits too so lets hope that is going to happen pretty soon. Plus lets face it our issues yesterday had more to do with defense than anything else. 

On 11/30/2018 at 10:58 PM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Lie to the boss you get canned. Some like Baltimore, Oakland and Dallas may not care but obviously Hunt does.

If you are referencing Ray Lewis, he never lied to ownership.

Neither did Ray Rice- he told them he struck her, but the video was just too graphic.

The ebb and flow of an NFL season, that's all.  Everything a big deal and hyped.  The offense gets a little weaker due to the unexpected.  The defense gets a little stronger from guys coming back from injury. We all know the team was unbalanced for many games.  Unstoppable offense and horrible defense.  I see a more balanced team on the horizon. Personally, I like that.  I also think Reid is excellent at game planning and calling plays designed around his available chess pieces.  We lose a little offensive unpredictability, because RB by committee tells opponents what play is more likely depending on who goes in there.  Pass blocking improves some if we sign Charcandrick West.  Watkins comes back at some point.  We draft some guys.  Young guys we already have continue to develop.  Most of all, we have that undeniable not-so-secret weapon, Mahomes.  If a guy like Reid can't go deep in the playoffs in our current situation, I would still be surprised.  If fans who post on this forum don't whine and wring their hands, I will still be surprised.

25 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Neither did Ray Rice- he told them he struck her, but the video was just too graphic.

Not about lying in Baltimore's case but about ignoring players off field issues as long as they produce on the field. Yes many teams and many fans think that way until they are brought out in public. Baltimore admitted they knew about and the Ray Rice video and what had happened, it wasn't until it was shown to the world did they act. To me that's as bad as lying.

The team admittedly knew he punched and knocked a woman (his now wife) out but elected not to do anything until the video came out. It's like being sorry for being caught vs being sorry for what you did.

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think it shocked the lockerroom and messed with the game plan today.  Who knows Kareem might have been the focal point on our offense this weekend, but we responded well and got the win.    Also Mahomes while not his best still followed up a 5 TO game with 4TDs/0TO's so thats another bright spot.   

Good post but I noticed how you say Mahomes didn't have his best day. What does this say when he has 295 yds passing 4 TDs 0 INts and 52 critical yards with a much needed game ending drive? It means we're getting spoiled at the QB and after decades of ineptness at that position we damn well deserve it!

Division games are always tough, usually poorly predicted by the national sports press, because they play each other twice per year and know each other too well.  Plus Gruden and Reid coached together in the past.  They know each other's tendencies and strategies. Not to make any excuses, but this is just true.  Plus, some of the players are ramped up by past game taunting and scuffles and sometimes cheap shots. So, there is an additional emotional aspect. I don't think we will be able to predict the Chargers game or the second Oakland game. The former has Rivers, though, and franchise QB's nearly always make the difference. The Mahomes advantage will be almost neutralized by the Rivers advantage. Mahomes is probably better with his arm, but Rivers has the experience and will make fewer mistake throws. 

The Ravens are on a roll.  I am most worried about them.  They have a great defense and running game that will keep Mahomes and crew off the field for a lot more minutes. But Reid will have a good plan.

9 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Division games are always tough, usually poorly predicted by the national sports press, because they play each other twice per year and know each other too well.  Plus Gruden and Reid coached together in the past.  They know each other's tendencies and strategies. Not to make any excuses, but this is just true.  Plus, some of the players are ramped up by past game taunting and scuffles and sometimes cheap shots. So, there is an additional emotional aspect. I don't think we will be able to predict the Chargers game or the second Oakland game. The former has Rivers, though, and franchise QB's nearly always make the difference. The Mahomes advantage will be almost neutralized by the Rivers advantage. Mahomes is probably better with his arm, but Rivers has the experience and will make fewer mistake throws. 

The Ravens are on a roll.  I am most worried about them.  They have a great defense and running game that will keep Mahomes and crew off the field for a lot more minutes. But Reid will have a good plan.

Rivers is a pick machine in big games. They lucked out against an overrated Pitts team . Both lost to Denver. Chargers have not played a critical game in years. Rivers will choke and their kicking game is laughable. Chiefs should beat both in a high scoring game. You can not stop Mahomes. Only Mahomes can.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Rivers is a pick machine in big games. They lucked out against an overrated Pitts team . Both lost to Denver. Chargers have not played a critical game in years. Rivers will choke and their kicking game is laughable. Chiefs should beat both in a high scoring game. You can not stop Mahomes. Only Mahomes can.

For once we fucking agree. I might as well leave the site now.😉

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Video changes everything. There''s no doubt. And if your gonna lie about it, you better make sure there isn't any video. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

For all the crap Sutton gets as he should. His defenses have turned Rivers into an absolute turnover machine more than any other defense in football. Rivers came in here with a red hot team last year too. The Chargers are a good team and probably should have won the division last year too. But coaching inferiority and Rivers mistakes have been crucial. Not sure what's changed this year to make that part different, but we will see. 

5 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

That game yesterday was like a funeral.  There was very little emotion and everyone sans Kelce and Mahomes was off their game.  Oakland being so bad masked just how off we were.  I think using a win against a bad raider team as evidence that everything is fine is premature. If the locker room was indeed that way yesterday, I just hope it’s a mourning phase and not a trend. Momentum and confidence can be very fragile things. 

16 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

As expected, Conley was a fine receiver in place of Watkins.  He continued his emergence from last year.  Ware is still getting his confidence in his leg back and had a couple of good runs.  Damien Williams shows a lot of flash as everyone expected.  Once the Williams' and Ware get their footing and lots of reps, our RB by committee situation will be pretty damned good.  I was a little disappointed in the pass rush, but they were beasts at forcing fumbles. Carr played better than he has since 2016 and gave my fingernails a lot of tasty fragments until the very end.  A good division game.  There is no such thing as a gimme game in the NFL.

We should see more of D. Williams and also see more passes to Ware this week.  Reid realistically didn't have time to install the RB by committee plan into the OAK game, but he's probably burning the candles before the Wed. practice to come up with a better plan.  The wildcard, as always, is who will be available to play.  Watkins coming back would be a big help.  Conley is okay, but Watkins adds a speed and YAC element not provided by Conley or Robinson.  Berry coming back, if effective, would be huge.  I don't expect the Chiefs to be blown out of any game.  In close games, that one incompletion on third down can easily mean the game.  Just ask the PIT defense yesterday.  The rest of the season isn't bleak, but the margin has shrunk with three critical games coming up.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

For all the crap Sutton gets as he should. His defenses have turned Rivers into an absolute turnover machine more than any other defense in football. Rivers came in here with a red hot team last year too. The Chargers are a good team and probably should have won the division last year too. But coaching inferiority and Rivers mistakes have been crucial. Not sure what's changed this year to make that part different, but we will see. 

Easy Schedule, way less injuries than last year and some past due good luck. That said: If you can not beat these guys at home in Dec you dont deserve to win the division. Good test for KC.

Archived