Levon and the Chiefs in 2019?

Le'Veon Bell could now be a fit with the Kansas City Chiefs

247 Sports

By Sam Quinn 12 hours ago

In the short term, the Kansas City Chiefs losing Kareem Hunt is quite beneficial to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Suddenly, the AFC's best team, the offense that humiliated them on their home field, is without one of its top playmakers. It may not have come under ideal circumstances, but the immediate path to the Super Bowl just got clearer for the Steelers. The trouble is that Hunt's release may have created a far more dangerous opponent down the line. Now that the Chiefs are without a running back of the future, they appear on paper to be an absolutely perfect fit for Le'Veon Bell.

The Chiefs use Hunt very similar to the way that the Steelers used Bell, and the few differences should be more than okay by him. Hunt is the NFL's fifth-leading rusher, but he is 59 carries behind NFL leader Ezekiel Elliott in terms of overall rush attempts. He finished sixth in attempts last year despite running for more yards than Bell, the NFL leader. Considering how conscious Bell now is of protecting his body, such an arrangement wouldn't seem to bother him.

But the plays he could make in the passing game with Patrick Mahomes certainly would. Hunt caught 53 balls as a rookie, and the only reason he was on pace to see those numbers decline this year is the deeper group of weapons around him. The Chiefs are clearly still interested in passing to running backs, and Bell can obviously accommodate them. He has reached 75 receptions in three of his five NFL seasons. The Chiefs might have the NFL's best tight end and probably do have its most versatile pass-catcher in Tyreek Hill.

Add the NFL's best pass-catching running back in Bell, and their already dominant offense becomes unstoppable.

The obvious drawback to pursuing Bell would be his cap hit, but the Chiefs are well-positioned from a financial perspective to make a run at Bell. Thanks to the rookie contract of Patrick Mahomes, they are currently in line to have almost $44 million in cap space in 2019 according to Spotrac. In all likelihood, they were going to pay Hunt eventually, so while moving up that timeline might not be ideal, they are likely budgeted for a top running back in the near future. The Chiefs were willing to make a big investment in a star player when they pursued a trade for Earl Thomas. Their needs on defense were greater then. But with Eric Berry likely back next season and Hunt gone, the Chiefs might be more inclined to allocate the money they were expecting to spend on Thomas to Bell.

And then there's Bell's history against the Chiefs. He has played at Arrowhead Stadium three times in his career. He has averaged 157 yards on the ground in those games. The Chiefs are intimately familiar with what Bell is capable of because his best games all seemed to come against them. Bell singlehandedly knocked them out of the 2016 playoffs. He gave them their first loss in 2017. But in 2019, he could be the player that finally gets Andy Reid his Super Bowl ring.

If the Chiefs want Bell, they can get him. His value has come down enough thanks to a missed season to make him relatively affordable. While he wouldn't take a discount after everything he has gone through in pursuit of a new contract, he would likely be more inclined to join the Chiefs than, say, the New York Jets, whom he once said he wouldn't play for even if offered $60 million. Bell has spoken openly about wanting to win a Super Bowl. Doing so while also sticking it to the Steelers by playing for one of their rivals would probably be a bonus.

The Chiefs have more immediate concerns right now than 2019 free agency. They still have the best record in the AFC and a real chance to win the Super Bowl. But they are going to add a running back next offseason. They emphasize the position and their offense in generall too much not to. It might come in the draft. It might come through a trade. It might come in free agency. But if they decide that it is a position that they really want to invest in, Bell is probably the best fit they'll be able to find.

No way, no how. This team has far too much work to do on defense to commit that kind of money to a RB. Added to which is the fact that there is no position in football that committing big money to is a worse idea.

Just my opinion, but this is a terrible idea. Fuck Bell anyway. I did the math. He would average about $15,000 per carry on the franchise tag number. And that just wasnt enough for him? He makes more money in 1 drive than I make in a year. And he felt like that was just so unfair.

Let some other team break the bank for him, then watch him blow his acl in training camp.

I wouldn't be so sure L. Bell is getting a huge contract in the off-season from anyone.  

If we could get him on a fair, short term deal I would for sure do it considering S. Ware won't be back next year, either.

But, as stated RB can be found in the draft and you don't really need a top 5 RB anymore to guarantee playoff/SB success.

We did sign Sammy Watkins in the off-season while pretty much already being stacked on offense so I wouldn't rule anything out with the Chiefs this off-season.

As seen in the Connor example RBs are easily replaceable if there's a decent OL. If we have such a decision to make I would much rather spend some of that money to extend Nelson and bring in a FA CB or another Safety after releasing Dirty Dan and letting Parker go. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

As seen in the Connor example RBs are easily replaceable if there's a decent OL. If we have such a decision to make I would much rather spend some of that money to extend Nelson and bring in a FA CB or another Safety after releasing Dirty Dan and letting Parker go. 

I agree. RB is considered a "support" role in the NFL anymore. Draft one. Bell is not that good anyways. He's a product of great offensive line, and great QB that keeps defenses playing soft to prevent the pass.

I would not have resigned Hunt to a huge deal after four years much less invest a draft pick and big money on a player with more carries and body wear and tear. 

RBs are not hard to find. Go get another young guy with skills that fit offense just as Steelers did with their third round pick last year. I’m not worried about future at RB as much as I am the present. Ware is solid, but he’s not close to Hunt and I’m not sure at all what we have behind him with the Willians twins which is a little scary. 

19 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I would not have resigned Hunt to a huge deal after four years much less invest a draft pick and big money on a player with more carries and body wear and tear. 

RBs are not hard to find. Go get another young guy with skills that fit offense just as Steelers did with their third round pick last year. I’m not worried about future at RB as much as I am the present. Ware is solid, but he’s not close to Hunt and I’m not sure at all what we have behind him with the Willians twins which is a little scary. 

Don't rule out Spiller, he must be boarding a plane to KC somewhere. 

I think we'll pick up another RB around now. Normally 3rd or 4th RBs are there as supplemental guys with situational talent but not all of them are suited for a backup role with is basically another starter. 

Is anyone else interested to see what Darrel Williams can do? Chiefs kept him off the practice squad and on active roster to keep him from being poached. 

I’ve  liked him since the preseason and that article about him before the season. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/9/6/17824064/why-running-back-darrel-williams-made-the-kansas-city-chiefs

Just now, xen said:

Yes.  Pretty decent all around RB.  Not elite at anything but pretty good at everything.

Doesn't have to be elite. RBs now days have to just keep defences honest and block when needed. I posted this before, 2 out of the last 10 SB winners had pro-bowl caliber RBs, the rest, competent. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Im really hoping they let him get 8-10 carries today. I think there is some upside and why protect him on the 53 man if you arent willing to use him?

Play him, but don't play him in crucial spots yet. I remember the concerns last year when Ware went down and then again after Hill fumbled against NE. The sky was falling and the Chiefs were in for a long year. Amazing how that turned out.

3 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Doesn't have to be elite. RBs now days have to just keep defences honest and block when needed. I posted this before, 2 out of the last 10 SB winners had pro-bowl caliber RBs, the rest, competent. 

Guess Both WIlliams's  and Ware will have 5 games + playoffs to show what they got...could really help in how the chiefs prepare for FA and draft in offseason

Interesting take on the situation. I would be both elated and frustrated at the same time. On one hand Bell is a baller. That guy is a machine who can power, run by you, run through you, fly over top of you, catch, YAC, break ankles, break tackles. BUT the Chiefs would basically be giving up on finding a great defense because the money won't be available to keep our own young budding stars nor will there be available money to get them in free agency. Offense would be unstoppable but the defense would be worse than it is now down the road.

Why can’t we find the next Kareem.  We seem pretty decent at finding offensive gems.  Kelce, Hill and And Hunt were all 3rd round or later picks.    10 million could be better spent on that D.    If it happens it would be fun to watch though!   

Archived