Athletic reports NFL told Chiefs to quit pursuing video

According to The Athletic (Yahoo Sports highlighted the key parts):

-The #Chiefs knew about the footage and tried to obtain it multiple times. The NFL told them to stop pursuing it.
-Hunt supposedly told the Chiefs he never left the room and didn't do a thing.
-He would have stayed on the team if he was truthful.
-Hunt cried in front of coaches/front office and pleaded for them to reconsider their decision to release him.
-The Chiefs want the NFL to help Kareem enroll in a new counseling program.
-The Chiefs are saying "Kareem cut Kareem."

Also add the Chiefs expect a 6 game suspension to start next season after the investigation. They expect multiple teams to be interested and are intent on helping him. He’s apparently been in counseling already  

Link to full story below.

https://theathletic.com/687823/2018/12/01/in-releasing-kareem-hunt-chiefs-vow-to-help-him-remain-in-nfl-if-he-makes-necessary-changes/?redirected=1

I don’t understand the sentiment here. Sources say the chiefs contacted the nfl in an attempt to get continued help for Hunt and said that as long as he seeks help, the chiefs will try to help him play again and not end up like Rice.  Ok, if that’s their stance, why not suspend him rather than cut him?  By keeping his rights but suspending him, they could actually get him the help they say he needs while keeping him from joining a competitor.  Going that route also helps to avoid any spiral that may or may not be coming due to the loss of his job. At this point it is what it is, but it sounds like double talk from the organization to me. “We say we want to help you, but we’re gonna kick you the curb and make sure you’re someone else’s problem “.  Can’t have it both ways.  I just want this shit to go away. I’m definitely not planning on watching any pregame tomorrow 

20 minutes ago, Calichief said:

But Clark is covering his ass..

I’ll be honest with you, I have no idea what’s going on or what to think.  Every aspect of this thing seems to contradict another. I don’t agree with how it was handled, but that’s Kareem’s fault. If he doesn’t do anything in the first place none of this other shit happens.  The most puzzling part of all of this to me though is the report that stated the nfl told the chiefs to stop trying to acquire the tape.  This whole situation is a big wtf. 

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

I don’t understand the sentiment here. Sources say the chiefs contacted the nfl in an attempt to get continued help for Hunt and said that as long as he seeks help, the chiefs will try to help him play again and not end up like Rice.  Ok, if that’s their stance, why not suspend him rather than cut him?  By keeping his rights but suspending him, they could actually get him the help they say he needs while keeping him from joining a competitor.  Going that route also helps to avoid any spiral that may or may not be coming due to the loss of his job. At this point it is what it is, but it sounds like double talk from the organization to me. “We say we want to help you, but we’re gonna kick you the curb and make sure you’re someone else’s problem “.  Can’t have it both ways.  I just want this shit to go away. I’m definitely not planning on watching any pregame tomorrow 

It’s like when the one person who could make things fair sympathetically tells you that life is not fair, but makes an unfair decision. Someone else should say that, not them. Like my friend’s boss who hired his niece and fired my friend told him. Sheesh.

8 hours ago, moons314 said:

I know, it sucks.  I think after Javon Belcher, the Chiefs have just decided to stay as far away from this type of thing as they possibly can.

I thought the same things, well why not just suspend him indefinitely without cutting him but he lied about what happened and then is on video shoving and kicking a woman.

4 minutes ago, dksww said:

I know, it sucks.  I think after Javon Belcher, the Chiefs have just decided to stay as far away from this type of thing as they possibly can.

I thought the same things, well why not just suspend him indefinitely without cutting him but he lied about what happened and then is on video shoving and kicking a woman.

Im wondering if he gets some help and walks the straight and narrow if the Chiefs might be willing to resign him if he is still available. 

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Im wondering if he gets some help and walks the straight and narrow if the Chiefs might be willing to resign him if he is still available. 

I thought the same thing, but I the Athletic article quoted Chiefs officials saying that wouldn't be the case.

22 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Kareem just so royally screwed us by not owning up to it that it’s hard to imagine him ever playing here again. We could have suspended him, got him help and planned the roster around the whole thing.  Instead his teammates and the fans get a total dagger at the worst time possible.  Almost feels like you’ve caught an employee you love harassing another employee on videotape after he had denied it the whole time. 

Now listening to him my wife commented he almost sounds more upset he got caught than anything else.  I’ll bet he’s suspended in 2019 at this point. 

8 hours ago, moons314 said:

The most puzzling part of all of this to me though is the report that stated the nfl told the chiefs to stop trying to acquire the tape.  This whole situation is a big wtf. 

Yeah, I do not get this at all. Why would the NFL encourage a lack of investigation by the team, knowing damn well the truth will come out eventually. The NFL is notorious for investigating and punishing players even when the law has not charged said persons in a crime, but didn't want the Chiefs to investigate? 

Oh well. Its Ware and Williams time.

9 hours ago, moons314 said:

I’ll be honest with you, I have no idea what’s going on or what to think.  Every aspect of this thing seems to contradict another. I don’t agree with how it was handled, but that’s Kareem’s fault. If he doesn’t do anything in the first place none of this other shit happens.  The most puzzling part of all of this to me though is the report that stated the nfl told the chiefs to stop trying to acquire the tape.  This whole situation is a big wtf. 

I was joking. Chiefs did everything right.

the which hunt against the organization is a fucking joke.

kareem hunt screwed up and he is going to pay for it. End of story. No way is this on the chiefs.

Archived