Why does our defense continually suck?

The Chiefs cut Hunt for being dishonest? Why don't they cut Eric Berry...for ongoing theft? 

When the Chiefs cut Hunt, they set a standard that they'll fire someone for dishonesty (insert K. Hunt's photo), but not for incompetence (insert Bob Sutton phone). 

Seriously though, why does our defense suck so bad???  Week after week??? Month after month???

6 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

I think it's time to move on from the 34 to 43. 

I agree. it used to be exoctic and fun,  but not so much now. I don't think we have the players to run a 34 properly the way I guess Sutton want's to, whatever that is. 🙄

Losing Berry and Watts is big.  The drop off of Ragland is big.  Speaks and Kpass haven't contributed.  The CBs are spotty.  Then there's the philosophy of Sutton, but that's on Reid.  If Reid didn't want that defense, he could override Sutton at any time.  I also blame the lack of coaching up the talent they draft.  Whether that's the fault of Sutton or position coaches, who knows?  Those calling for Sutton's replacement have good reason and I'm with them, but it's more than just that.

We don’t have anyone who can cover tight ends so no matter what scheme or alignment that’s not going away until we solve that personnel issue.  

Likewise we’ve got safeties that cannot execute what they are asked to do. Great example is a perfect run blitz Sutton called yesterday for Eric Murray. Couldn’t have been a better call and should have been a 5 yard loss. But Murray whiffs on tackle and play ends up going for 20 yards.  

This defense could be tremendously better with only about 3 players in any scheme. But I’d love to see an innovative approach to handling new era offenses brought in or at least a guy proven he can create more pressure from different positions. Again a Jimmy Johnson type disciple like Steve Spagnuola and more speed and tackling ability through this draft could do wonders.  

Although what we saw on Hunt's video was more serious, don't forget the beatings that opposing receivers administer to our "defensive" backs on a weekly basis. If we don't get immediate pressure on a QB, guys are running free. And then there's the knife through warm butter run defense. When a defense is this bad, it's coaching, scheme and lack of talent.

When your best CB is Scandrick and your best safety is Parker. 2 guys that basically nobody wanted. You are going to have issues. Keeping Peters would not have helped either. 

Ford and Jones are the only guys on D playing at a high level. Do we man up and send the house? Maybe. But that would not be any better IMO. The secondary is terrible from a talent perspective. Pass rush is so so. ILB has under achieved. 

I don’t really know what scheme would make this unit good. Open to suggestions though.

Well the very first thing you do:  The moment the season is over, fire Bob Sutton.  Do not waste any time.  Pull him in and tell him to gather his butterscotch candies and hit the road.

Scrap the read and react Defense from the 1990's and go hire a real Defensive Coordinator.  Mike Pettine will be available with the firing of Fat Mike in GB, and he was doing a remarkable job with that unit before half the unit went down with injuries.  Bring Muhammad Wilkerson with him.

Let Ragland and Berry get the work they need to get done, done. 

Tag Dee Ford and let Allen Bailey walk.  Sign Earl Thomas in FA.

Go after Dexter Lawrence in the draft out of Clemson if he gets within 10 spots of the Chiefs first pick (this is likely) to be your 0 tech.

Spend your next draft pick on a Corner.  Congrats, your Defense is fixed.

I think most of that sounds solid. Still I go BYA in the draft. Hate to force picks for need. Just saying if there is a rock star LT sitting there, don’t go CB out of desperation. You keep nd of have to take the play maker. I hope that is a defensive guy, but it is what it is. 

It all starts right in the middle and it's not a mistake this Defense has struggled since they ran the piss out of Dontari Poe and discarded him.  They have a good rotational guy in Nnadi that can double as a key stuffer in short yardage, but now they need a guy that can crash the shit from within.

Fix that spot finally and everything else quickly starts falling into place.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

I think most of that sounds solid. Still I go BYA in the draft. Hate to force picks for need. Just saying if there is a rock star LT sitting there, don’t go CB out of desperation. You keep nd of have to take the play maker. I hope that is a defensive guy, but it is what it is. 

Grabbing the BPA is overrated.  Agree, the team can't reach too far to fill a need, but they have a number of areas that it's worth focusing on at the expense of passing on a better player not needed.  For example, the Chiefs wouldn't take a QB or WR with the first pick.  It doesn't have to be an ILB or DT in the first round, but if not, it had better be a need.  The Chiefs have to decide if it's worth counting of Berry or if Watts is a legit starter.  Will they keep Ford and Houston.  Do they replace Bailey or Erving.  Lots of places to fill without reaching on the first two days.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Well the very first thing you do:  The moment the season is over, fire Bob Sutton.  Do not waste any time.  Pull him in and tell him to gather his butterscotch candies and hit the road.

Scrap the read and react Defense from the 1990's and go hire a real Defensive Coordinator.  Mike Pettine will be available with the firing of Fat Mike in GB, and he was doing a remarkable job with that unit before half the unit went down with injuries.  Bring Muhammad Wilkerson with him.

Go after Dexter Lawrence in the draft out of Clemson if he gets within 10 spots of the Chiefs first pick (this is likely) to be your 0 tech.

Pettine runs a 4-3 doesnt he?

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Grabbing the BPA is overrated.  Agree, the team can't reach too far to fill a need, but they have a number of areas that it's worth focusing on at the expense of passing on a better player not needed.  For example, the Chiefs wouldn't take a QB or WR with the first pick.  It doesn't have to be an ILB or DT in the first round, but if not, it had better be a need.  The Chiefs have to decide if it's worth counting of Berry or if Watts is a legit starter.  Will they keep Ford and Houston.  Do they replace Bailey or Erving.  Lots of places to fill without reaching on the first two days.

I'd rather move around the board and not fill every single need than sit back and hope there's anything left by the time we pick.  I like that philosophy by Veach, he was just doing it for guys he didn't have to get aggressive to land and he did it a lot.

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I was hoping the Chiefs would look at him this past offseason. I was surprised he was out of work for a year.

Had a nice buyout from the Browns, so I don't blame him for taking a year off to detox from the stupid shit he dealt with there.  Pettine is the guy that replaced Bob Sutton in New York and runs more of a Rex Ryan kind of Defense that involves more attacking than reacting. 

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Id be on board with Mike Pettine but I’m not sure why you think he was doing a remarkable job in GB? They gave up 29 plus points in 6 of their first 8 games.  

Archived