Why does our defense continually suck?

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

It all starts right in the middle and it's not a mistake this Defense has struggled since they ran the piss out of Dontari Poe and discarded him.  They have a good rotational guy in Nnadi that can double as a key stuffer in short yardage, but now they need a guy that can crash the shit from within.

Fix that spot finally and everything else quickly starts falling into place.

I agree with this too a point.  I think Nnandi can be a solid run stuffing NT. He is very strong.  If we stay 3-4 he is valuable.  If we switch to a 4-3 he becomes more rotational.  

But a stud to play inside with Jones would be fantastic.  Someone who can collapse the pocket with regularly would be great.  Bailey is a spurt player.  Jenkins is a non factor.  And Williams is a Nnandi clone. 

21 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I agree with this too a point.  I think Nnandi can be a solid run stuffing NT. He is very strong.  If we stay 3-4 he is valuable.  If we switch to a 4-3 he becomes more rotational.  

But a stud to play inside with Jones would be fantastic.  Someone who can collapse the pocket with regularly would be great.  Bailey is a spurt player.  Jenkins is a non factor.  And Williams is a Nnandi clone. 

I think Nnadi is a guy you move around on the DL if you feel a run is coming to a certain side.  Need a much better DL rotation overall.

45 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Id be on board with Mike Pettine but I’m not sure why you think he was doing a remarkable job in GB? They gave up 29 plus points in 6 of their first 8 games.  

They were breaking in 2 rookies as their starting corners.  Of course they were going to have growing pains.

15 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

They were breaking in 2 rookies as their starting corners.  Of course they were going to have growing pains.

Not disagreeing or again arguing against Pettine, who’s had a lot of sustained success.  My point is just that the Packers defense hasn’t been good all year. His track record suggests they may have been if given time with a healthy group though. 

And anyone that can get this defense even into the middle of the pack is going to transform this franchise from Lombardi hopefuls into favorites.  

On 12/3/2018 at 9:42 PM, liquidfriend said:

I think Nnadi is a guy you move around on the DL if you feel a run is coming to a certain side.  Need a much better DL rotation overall.

Good news is that the 2019 draft is loaded with D linemen, both pass rushers and big fatties.  Should be able to get help on second/third day.

Chiefs defense is undisciplined and that falls on the coaches. How many run plays have you seen where a guy fails to be gap sound? I mean running backs are running untouched to the 2nd and even 3rd level because a defender ran to the wrong spot. Another example of the undisciplined nature is the number of penalties the Chiefs commit. Are they the #1 most penalized team in the NFL? If not they are near the top. For the most part they are poor tacklers and that to me is a combination of coaching and talent.

I am also concerned about several of our higher end defensive draft picks the past few years.K Russell is gone. Murray flat out sucks.  KPass isn't showing much IMO. Eligwe is gone. Speaks has had some flashes but not steady progression. Nnadi is still a work in progress. O"Daniel is like Speaks...has had flashed but not steady. The only star is Chris Jones and I hold out promise for Watts. But that is a poor defensive return for three drafts.

9 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Let's hope we don't draft another DE and convert them to OLB

If you ask me our biggest problem is the LBs. They are way too soft and we are using two small DEs in the group on every down which is ruining the middle of our defense. Then we go ahead and ask why we can't stop the run with turnpikes out there. 

We are looking for stars which is generally a mistake. Seattle maintained a great group of LBs on their way to a SB title with guys that could do it all. Nobody turned head with sack numbers but they all did a good job including the DL. The way our DL is playing if we can find TJ Watt type OLBs we'll see immediate improvement but that's easier said than done. 

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

Chiefs defense is undisciplined and that falls on the coaches. How many run plays have you seen where a guy fails to be gap sound? I mean running backs are running untouched to the 2nd and even 3rd level because a defender ran to the wrong spot. Another example of the undisciplined nature is the number of penalties the Chiefs commit. Are they the #1 most penalized team in the NFL? If not they are near the top. For the most part they are poor tacklers and that to me is a combination of coaching and talent.

I am also concerned about several of our higher end defensive draft picks the past few years.K Russell is gone. Murray flat out sucks.  KPass isn't showing much IMO. Eligwe is gone. Speaks has had some flashes but not steady progression. Nnadi is still a work in progress. O"Daniel is like Speaks...has had flashed but not steady. The only star is Chris Jones and I hold out promise for Watts. But that is a poor defensive return for three drafts.

Perfect example would be Murray's missed tackle on the run blitz last week. He not only misses tackle but blows his containment responsibility too, which opens up a big run. He was benched from his nickel role after that play, but this stuff happens WAY to often. One big issues when you name all these players is that most of them are day three picks. I think we only have one first round draft pick that's played a snap on defense this year don't we? We need a young surge of talent and a scheme that they can grasp quickly. All that said if we do nothing else but get players who can actually cover RBs and TEs, we would probably be the Super Bowl favorites. 

Archived