Did the Chiefs sign Watkins because they knew they would eventually lose Hunt?

who speculated that? A while back it was made known that Hill and his GF that was pregnant etc etc are now back together again and plan on being married. It was speculated by Soren Petro that possibly the Watkins signing was a stop gap in case that ended up terribly

Hopefully the Hunt deal reinforced to Hll the Chiefs  dont  F around in these matters.

37 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who speculated that? A while back it was made known that Hill and his GF that was pregnant etc etc are now back together again and plan on being married. It was speculated by Soren Petro that possibly the Watkins signing was a stop gap in case that ended up terribly

Hopefully the Hunt deal reinforced to Hll the Chiefs  dont  F around in these matters.

Lose hunt was his point I think , not hill.

anorher offensive weapon.

confusing considering a wr weapon to replace a rb

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

Speculation on radio is the chiefs knew that Hunt was going to eventually be punished for his screw-ups so they

signed Watkins to prepare for what is now happening

Why would you sign a WR to offset loss of a RB?  Our WR depth chart behind Tyreek included either unproven entities or a guy in Conley coming off a major injury. And with Tyreeks size he’s not the best red zone threat which along with Alex Smith was big reason we were awful passing there last year.  Watkins solves all those issues when he plays.  

I don't get the basis for the speculation. Another weapon on offense is nice to have in form of a proven WR but none of them can be compared to the featured RB. A high upside draft pick or a decent free agent to command some workload and get it throughout the season would be the way to prepare for the loss of Hunt. 

Watkins was signed simply to be a solid weapon in Mahomes' learning curve.

Chiefs thought the Hunt matter was dead based on Hunt's statements to management, no charges filed by Law Endorsement and the Matter being dropped by the NFL.

Hunt situation and the Watkins signing are not inter-related except in the Playbook.

w

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Why would you sign a WR to offset loss of a RB?  Our WR depth chart behind Tyreek included either unproven entities or a guy in Conley coming off a major injury. And with Tyreeks size he’s not the best red zone threat which along with Alex Smith was big reason we were awful passing there last year.  Watkins solves all those issues when he plays.  

This.

58 minutes ago, tges58 said:

Look at what happened in the playoffs last year after Kelce got hurt. I'm thinking that might have had something to do with it.

I’d actually like us to target a bada$s TE high in the 2019 draft if one is available.  Harris drives me nuts.. .  It seems he’s either dropping an easy catch or commuting a bone headed penalty once or twice a game.  This would give us more weapons for Moahomes, give us insurance if we lose Kelce to injury, & get Harris off the field.

36 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I’d actually like us to target a bada$s TE high in the 2019 draft if one is available.  Harris drives me nuts.. .  It seems he’s either dropping an easy catch or commuting a bone headed penalty once or twice a game.  This would give us more weapons for Moahomes, give us insurance if we lose Kelce to injury, & get Harris off the field.

Noah Fant

I don't know about a high TE pick at this point. Unless Williams is the real deal or Ware bounces back to his pre-injury self RB should be higher on the list and with the state of your defense I don't think we can afford to give up an early pick for #2 TE. It would really open up the offense but way too many holes on defense to actually pull the trigger.

Speaking of Watkins is it possible that we look at Kelvin Benjamin as a cheap backup plan in the red zone in the event this foot deal doesn't get better this year? Sean McDermott is another Andy Reid guy so he would probably get some decent insight on him. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Speaking of Watkins is it possible that we look at Kelvin Benjamin as a cheap backup plan in the red zone in the event this foot deal doesn't get better this year? Sean McDermott is another Andy Reid guy so he would probably get some decent insight on him. 

Kelvin Benjamin is visiting the chiefs today, there is already a thread for it

Archived