Chiefs preparing Berry to play vs Chargers

It would be great if the Chiefs would just be straightforward. Eric Berry will practice, albeit limited, and we plan to play him Thursday night. How hard is that? If he can't go because of the pain or discomfort then say that. All this maybe/maybe not crap week in and week out is BS. Talk to your fanbase and ticket holders like they are adults...not like little kids who can't handle knowing Santa isn't real (sorry if that last part has disillusioned anyone).🙄

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

What I’m hearing is that Berry has been cleared to play for over a month and this has completely been his decision to sit out because of fear of tearing Achilles.  Not sure why now although it fits rational timeline for meaningful play vs risk.   This may explain why he wasn’t IRd and the cryptic nature of whole injury.  I can’t confirm this but it does come from solid media source.  In any case it will be good to see him on the field if it really happens like we think   

No idea where you heard that, because there isn't any enhanced risk.

The Chiefs are always cautious when it comes to injuries and let Berry decide when he felt he could manage to play through it.  

The plan was to hold off as long as they could to preserve him for the playoffs and now he's getting a tune up before they begin.  

I think armchair theory crafting just went off the rails.

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

What I’m hearing is that Berry has been cleared to play for over a month and this has completely been his decision to sit out because of fear of tearing Achilles.  Not sure why now although it fits rational timeline for meaningful play vs risk.   This may explain why he wasn’t IRd and the cryptic nature of whole injury.  I can’t confirm this but it does come from solid media source.  In any case it will be good to see him on the field if it really happens like we think   

If cleared he should have been practicing with the team as a backup or something. No need to hold him out for so long. Or may be he has been doing some light practice but Chiefs info is better protected than Fort Knox. 

Would be a great surprise if he's coming back 100% and already shook off the rust in practice but that's probably a long shot. 

10 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

No idea where you heard that, because there isn't any enhanced risk.

The Chiefs are always cautious when it comes to injuries and let Berry decide when he felt he could manage to play through it.  

The plan was to hold off as long as they could to preserve him for the playoffs and now he's getting a tune up before they begin.  

I think armchair theory crafting just went off the rails.

This isn’t  a theory. It came from sources directly inside of Arrowhead who said coaches were frustrated and were ready for him to play over a month ago.  It was all Eric Berry’s call and they weren’t going to force issue because he is Eric Berry. 

Point is medical staff had told coaches weeks ago there’s no reason he can’t play. Were they right?  Maybe he just didn’t trust our medical staff and was relying on private prognosis. Which seems logical as well based on experience. We don’t know.  But if he was cleared over a month ago it again does explain why we’ve held a roster spot for him.  

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

This isn’t  a theory. It came from sources directly inside of Arrowhead who said coaches were frustrated and were ready for him to play weeks ago.  It was all Eric Berry’s call and they weren’t going to force issue because he is Eric Berry. 

Point is medical staff had told coaches weeks ago there’s no reason he can’t play. 

This sucks because he had to feel like shit watching on the sidelines when he knew he could have helped. I understand being cautious but to sit there for weeks and not to try and at least practice is bs imo.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

This sucks because he had to feel like shit watching on the sidelines when he knew he could have helped. I understand being cautious but to sit there for weeks and not to try and at least practice is bs imo.

I added to this post because all I know based on this is he was cleared by our medical staff well over a month ago. But maybe privately he was getting another prognosis and didn’t trust our staff or something. 

The guy is clearly an incredibly competitive person which is part of his charisma that makes him such a great leader. I’m just saying there seems to be a disconnect between what Berry felt and our medical staffs prognosis.  

39 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I added to this post because all I know based on this is he was cleared by our medical staff well over a month ago. But maybe privately he was getting another prognosis and didn’t trust our staff or something. 

The guy is clearly an incredibly competitive person which is part of his charisma that makes him such a great leader. I’m just saying there seems to be a disconnect between what Berry felt and our medical staffs prognosis.  

FAKE NEWS... for me I need a real source.

18 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

FAKE NEWS

It’s not fake, I can assure you.  Again the backstory is all theory. But Berry being cleared over a month ago and coaches being frustrated isn’t. 

Doesn’t mean much now. Berry can provide a HUGE lift to this defense going forward and hopefully keep himself on the field with growing role as we gear up for the playoffs.  

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s not fake, I can assure you.  Again the backstory is all theory. But Berry being cleared over a month ago and coaches being frustrated isn’t. 

Doesn’t mean much now. Berry can provide a HUGE lift to this defense going forward and hopefully keep himself on the field with growing role as we gear up for the playoffs.  

Nothing  personal. Your assurance is not enough for me. Its rumor at best. 

33 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Other than a morale boost for the defense, I don't see Berry making much difference tonight.  Hope I'm wrong.

Exactly. How many places can he be on the field during a play. Teams will just throw away from him, like usual. I think his biggest contribution will be in the running game. He can actually tackle. Parker and Murray should be at home watching football games on TV  like the rest of us. They absolute SUCK ASS.

Oh yea, they can take ole "Dirty Dan" with them.

7 minutes ago, artsy said:

Exactly. How many places can he be on the field during a play. Teams will just throw away from him, like usual. I think his biggest contribution will be in the running game. He can actually tackle. Parker and Murray should be at home watching football games on TV  like the rest of us. They absolute SUCK ASS.

Oh yea, they can take ole "Dirty Dan" with them.

Did Berry cover tight ends and slot?

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

Other than a morale boost for the defense, I don't see Berry making much difference tonight.  Hope I'm wrong.

You're probably not wrong, but with three or four weeks until their first playoff game, it has to be now or forget about it.  Berry may make a play just out of experience or instinct, but the real payoff is having him ready by January.

5 hours ago, FANATIC said:

FAKE NEWS... for me I need a real source.

Lets just say its a local media sports director. I'm not throwing his name out there because this was told in private. But if you live in KC, you know him and he's well connected. I'm not trying to claim some scoop here. I'm just pointing out a simple fact that could help explain this whole thing a LITTLE better. In any case there were those on this board who thought he'd never play for the Chiefs again. I'm hoping I see him prove that wrong tonight and better yet still be able to play next week too.

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Did Berry cover tight ends and slot?

He's been really good vs tight ends. Our absolute biggest weakness. Not so much covering the slot. He's also a force as an in the box run defender and has closing speed to cover corners big time over the top which allows more aggressive play. At least when he was 100 percent. What he can do tonight will be interesting. But just having him on the field has to give that unit some boost. 

I might be in the minority, but I think Berry will play well and make a difference.  Being out as long as he's been can be viewed as bad.  On one hand, he's not in game shape and will likely have some rust.  However, he's also not taken a hit all season (two seasons for that matter), so his lack of game condition may be offset a bit by his being fresh.  I wonder what the pitch count is going to look like.  20-snaps?  25?  35?  We'll find out in a few short hours!

Archived