11 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

January 7, 1996 3 missed FGs - 35, 39 and 42. Any of which would have tied the game, any two woulf have won the game. Saying this kickers name is banned in here yet Jan Stenerud's isn't. 

December 25, 1971 3 missed FGs - 29, 32 and 42 (blocked). The 32 yarder at the end of regulation would have beaten the Dolphins who ended up representing the AFC in the SB.

Amazing who we elect to damn and others who get free rides.

In fairness to Stenerud though he made a lot of big kicks before that nightmare night in a hall of fame career. The guy from the 1996 debacle was leaking water down the stretch in a very short career. He missed three extra points that last month and should have been replaced before that game in my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

January 7, 1996 3 missed FGs - 35, 39 and 42. Any of which would have tied the game, any two woulf have won the game. Saying this kickers name is banned in here yet Jan Stenerud's isn't. 

December 25, 1971 3 missed FGs - 29, 32 and 42 (blocked). The 32 yarder at the end of regulation would have beaten the Dolphins who ended up representing the AFC in the SB.

One time I violently disagree with you 1963. 

Remember Stenerud IS IN the HoF. That's kinda erases some things. Jan was also around way before most here were alive.

Recent memory , sins or sucesses, seem to have more value with these young pups.

1 minute ago, the Warparty said:

One time I violently disagree with you 1963. 

Remember Stenerud IS IN the HoF. That's kinda erases some things. Jan was also around way before most here were alive.

Recent memory , sins or sucesses, seem to have more value with these young pups.

Damned whippersnappers!

48 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

being in the HOF is also a consideration

Stenerud kicked three field goals, scoring the first nine points of the game. His first, a 48-yarder, was the longest field goal in a Super Bowl for 24 years, & In 1994, he was selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team.

I'd say  those are enough reasons

Not the point, he was the goat of the game that could have put the Chiefs into back-to-back SBs.

I have always been a fan of Stenerud and hate lumping him in with the other kicker but missed FGs that lose games are what they are.

44 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

In fairness to Stenerud though he made a lot of big kicks before that nightmare night in a hall of fame career. The guy from the 1996 debacle was leaking water down the stretch in a very short career. He missed three extra points that last month and should have been replaced before that game in my opinion. 

Agree but let's be fair. We are talking missing important FGs in the playoffs.

Alex Smith did all he could against the Giants in the playoffs. His returner muffed two kicks which gave the Giants the win. Who gets blamed for not going to the SB, Smith or obscured kick returner. Lifes not fair.

8 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Steneruds miss in 1971 at end of regulation Christmas was still the worst ever.   Nothing ever more deflating.  Ever.

2 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Steneruds miss in 1971 at end of regulation Christmas was still the worst ever.   Nothing ever more deflating.  Ever.

Wilkie your wrong, just ask the others who say his good out weigh the missed FG. However,  I agree with you.

Hunt played great for KC but his off field fuck up washed all the good away. I know it's extreme but a lot of good can be washed away with a single action.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Wilkie your wrong, just ask the others who say his good out weigh the missed FG. However,  I agree with you.

Hunt played great for KC but his off field fuck up washed all the good away. I know it's extreme but a lot of good can be washed away with a single action.

Again though Stenerud had already gone 3 for 3 and accounted for almost half our points in the biggest win this franchise has ever had.  That bought him a pretty big pass that Elliott had never come close to earning.  

A guy who can kick like Butker has last year up until the last third of this season has developed some minor glitch that amounts to a millimeter in where his foot ends up. Those things happen to kickers and then get fixed.  It would be a big mistake to get rid of a guy who has been spectacular, not only in his first year and a half in the league, but also in college.  We literally stole the guy off the  Panther's practice squad. They were beside themselves when they left him unprotected for a moment and he was grabbed.  It was a coup by Veach.  Panicking about him right now would be like panicking about any 23 year old who has veered off his mechanics a hair for the last month.  Its crazy.  23 year olds with his kicking talent come along once every several years, and we are simply lucky. Kicking is a different animal and very lonely and exposed.  Consistency develops with adulthood. Then it lasts for 20 years.

Archived