#1 Seed? Win 2 of last 3?

Funny how PIT lost to all four West Division teams to put BAL back in the driver's seat.  The game Thursday could make the Chiefs' season.  Win it and they get the bye and another week's rest for Berry and Watkins and who knows if LDT could come back.  The odds makers have KC by 3.5 but that might change if Melvin Gordon plays and I think he will.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Funny how PIT lost to all four West Division teams to put BAL back in the driver's seat.  The game Thursday could make the Chiefs' season.  Win it and they get the bye and another week's rest for Berry and Watkins and who knows if LDT could come back.  The odds makers have KC by 3.5 but that might change if Melvin Gordon plays and I think he will.

The Steelers still have a 0.5 game lead; they have a tougher schedule but I wouldn't necessarily say that the Ravens are in the "driver's seat" when they don't control their own destiny.

3 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

If the Chiefs lose to the Chargers they have to hope they don't have the same record because that would mean the Chargers win the division and the Chiefs drop to 5 seed.

Division record is the tie breaker...

35 minutes ago, AppalachianChief said:

As long as the Chiefs win 2 of the last 3 the Chiefs are the #1 seed in the AFC. Doesn’t matter which 2 we win period!

It's hard not to think the Chiefs have to only win over either LAC or SEA.  No one seriously thinks the Chiefs would lose to the Raiders in Arrowhead if the division title or home field was on the line.

Just now, dksww said:

If they beat OAK, then yes.

According to my calculations in an above post, this doesn't matter. Either they beat LAC or "2 of 3" includes Oakland by default.  They could actually beat ONLY Seattle and win the division if LAC loses one more. 

You know what guys, my bad. Thought we were talking about the division, not the #1 seed. But if we get to 13-3 we win the division and get the #1 seed no matter what.  We can still win the division at 12-4 or 11-5 if LAC chokes games away.  #1 seed at 12-4 isn't impossible either. 

If the Chiefs go 14-2 or13-3, they are the #1seed even if that loss is to LAC.

If the Chiefs go 12-4, it gets a little more complicated.  If they beat LAC, they are at least the #2 seed unless NE loses another.  They hold the tie breaker over HOU if I figured it right.  If LAC wins out, the Chiefs would be the #5 seed.

If the Chiefs go 11-5, they are almost certain to be the #5.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs go 14-2 or13-3, they are the #1seed even if that loss is to LAC.

If the Chiefs go 12-4, it gets a little more complicated.  If they beat LAC, they are at least the #2 seed unless NE loses another.  They hold the tie breaker over HOU if I figured it right.  If LAC wins out, the Chiefs would be the #5 seed.

If the Chiefs go 11-5, they are almost certain to be the #5.

For the 12-4 scenario vs. Houston I think it would depend on if we lost to Seattle or not.  If we lost to Seattle but tied Houston at 12-4 then our conference record would be better (Houston has to win out to get to 12-4).  If we beat Seattle but lost the other two games and Houston wins out I think it would go all the way to strength of victory, which I didn't calculate - did you?

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

For the 12-4 scenario vs. Houston I think it would depend on if we lost to Seattle or not.  If we lost to Seattle but tied Houston at 12-4 then our conference record would be better (Houston has to win out to get to 12-4).  If we beat Seattle but lost the other two games and Houston wins out I think it would go all the way to strength of victory, which I didn't calculate - did you?

No, I assume the Chiefs only go 12-4 by losing to LAC and SEA.  Losing to the Raiders is just too horrible to contemplate.  You make a good point.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

No, I assume the Chiefs only go 12-4 by losing to LAC and SEA.  Losing to the Raiders is just too horrible to contemplate.  You make a good point.

Yeah the scenario I mentioned is probably the least likely of all the ways we get to 12-4, but it is technically possible.  Houston probably won't win out, either.

8 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Yeah the scenario I mentioned is probably the least likely of all the ways we get to 12-4, but it is technically possible.  Houston probably won't win out, either.

Yep, who would have thought all three leaders of the other divisions would lose today?  There's the chance that LAC could lose to either BAL or DEN.  PIT could beat NE.  Not sure that HOU plays anyone except PHL but that's a possible loss.  Just for the purposes of this thread, I assumed the worst scenario which is NE and HOU win out, LAC wins out except for possibly the KC game.

It's possible that LAC could win out, KC beats SEA and OAK and the Chargers win a #5 seed with a 13-3 record.

13 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I am honestly confused that you ever thought "most recent" played a role in the tiebreakers.  The Chargers already have a second divisional loss, to the Broncos.  We win the division with any 2 of 3 wins because:

• Win over LAC clinches division (2 game lead + tiebreaker with 2 games to go)
  • Beating SEA and OAK means the worst case scenario is we tie with LAC at 13-3, split head-to-head, and get the divisional tiebreaker (5-1 with the win over OAK)
  • If we lose to LAC and another game or games, we need LAC to lose the same amount of those games.  If we somehow lost to LAC and OAK and LAC lost one more, putting us tied at 12-4, then I think we still get the tiebreaker because we would lead in common games (one of our losses is to NE, not a common game, all over the Chargers losses would be in common games with us)

To restate:

• Win on Thursday, clinch division
  • Lose on Thursday and win out, clinch division
  • Lose on Thursday and lose 1 of last 2, need LAC to lose at least 1 to clinch division
  • Lose out, need LAC to lose last two (Ravens and Broncos)

Holy smokes. I must have been more drunk then I realized when I was posting. Total brain malfunction. Have this discussion with my wife all the time about tie breakers and it's like she infiltrated my head with nonsense. And to top it off I state "I always thought". LMAO at myself.

Don't drink and post folks.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yep, who would have thought all three leaders of the other divisions would lose today?  There's the chance that LAC could lose to either BAL or DEN.  PIT could beat NE.  Not sure that HOU plays anyone except PHL but that's a possible loss.  Just for the purposes of this thread, I assumed the worst scenario which is NE and HOU win out, LAC wins out except for possibly the KC game.

It's possible that LAC could win out, KC beats SEA and OAK and the Chargers win a #5 seed with a 13-3 record.

Yup. Chargers could have the 2nd best record in AFC and end up as a #5.

14 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

control their own destiny.

Does anyone really control their own destiny? I mean really, destiny really can't be controlled. It is determined before hand so therefore cannot be controlled. Now if you would like to say they control how they execute on the field that's different and probably more truthful than controlling thei destiny. 😑ommm

On 12/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, Adamixoye said:

On NBC they just said beating LAC on Thursday clinches the division and a bye, so assuming that's correct we must have the tiebreaker with Houston.

Yes, but the question is if the Chiefs beat SEA and lost to LAC and OAK would they be seeded ahead of Houston if LAC lost another game.  That's a stretch, but anything is possible.

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yes, but the question is if the Chiefs beat SEA and lost to LAC and OAK would they be seeded ahead of Houston if LAC lost another game.  That's a stretch, but anything is possible.

I'm just assuming NBC is correct. By my calculations that would push us to strength of victory, possible we would have that tiebreaker. 

19 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I'm just assuming NBC is correct. By my calculations that would push us to strength of victory, possible we would have that tiebreaker. 

I'm sure this discussion will come up again after the game Thursday night.  If the Chiefs win, there will be a huge sigh of relief since that probably means a #1 seed.  If they lose, all possibilities are on the line.  What we know now is the the Chiefs will be #1, #2, or #5. 

Archived