Why some of us are so negative...

The following is from the KC Star article entitled "It’s Patrick Mahomes against the opponent, and the ghosts of Chiefs failures past:"

We are 49 years removed from the Chiefs’ most recent and only Super Bowl win. That’s an embarrassing gap filled by — deep breath — losing the longest game in NFL history, a concussion in Buffalo, three missed kicks by You Know Who, Elvis Grbac’s panic, The No Punt Game, The 38-10 Game, the time they lost at home despite not giving up a touchdown, and the time they lost in so many shameful ways that nobody can agree whether to remember it for weird calls, a blown 18-point lead, or the other quarterback throwing a touchdown to himself.

The 49 years were KC's last Super Bowl appearance.  If it weren't for the Houston's team led by a backup, KC wouldn't have had a playoff winner since 2003.  You see, for not years but decades, fans have watched lightning strike again and again and again. 

We've see the heartbreaking losses again and again and again.  So when you write "If you want to be that way, then don't watch them," take you own advice and "If you don't like our posts, don't read them!"

Now I'll grant you, it appears MaHomes might actually be on the verge of changing things, but if he is carted off the field in the first playoff game, when the old guy next to you says "Huh, who could of figured," understand why.  And if it does happen, we'll happily celebrate with you because, not only will KC get to see the Cheifs (dare I even write it) take it all the way, but we'll actually get to stop holding our collective, old geezer breaths as well. And that's no sarcasm!

Come to think of it, all this talk of Berry actually playing Thursday night against the Charger, maybe that is a good omen.  I think the last time he played the Chiefs were in the Super Bow! (Sorry, that was sarcasm, but you can't expect me to go cold turkey all in one post, can you?)  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the reason many in here are negative is because they love to be right and if the Chiefs stumble like they have in the past they can come back and say, see I told you. They just can't enjoy a great season by their favorite team.

Some of the others aren't true blue Chiefs fans but run of the mill trolls and fence jumpers.

Some others are just miserable people who like bringing down others around them so they aren't miserable by themselves.

The game thread got me a little frustrated yesterday.  I'm watching the gamecast on ESPN and the Chiefs has just moved the ball to the 13 of the Ravens. I tap back to the game thread and posts are still complaining about the play calling.

50 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I believe the reason many in here are negative is because they love to be right and if the Chiefs stumble like they have in the past they can come back and say, see I told you. They just can't enjoy a great season by their favorite team.

Some of the others aren't true blue Chiefs fans but run of the mill trolls and fence jumpers.

Some others are just miserable people who like bringing down others around them so they aren't miserable by themselves.

Nailed it.

And don't kid yourselves, winning a Super Bowl will only temporarily change their attitude, as soon as things go south in the next season they'll revert back to their old selves.

Saw it with my own 2 eyes with Royals fans.

On the flip side, I'm right there with the frustration of this team's failures in the  playoffs since I was a kid in the 90's.  Totally get it. 

However, we've never had a top tier QB like this so from this point on with Mahomes, we are in uncharted territory with the Chiefs.

The 4th and 9 conversion to Hill with the game on the line NEVER would've happened in the past.  100% lose the game yesterday in the past.

Like Adam stated yesterday in a thread, this year has been very exciting and unexpected.  I thought this was a 7-9 team at best because of how bad the defense is and obviously no one expected Mahomes to have 45 td's after 13 games.

I've said all along after the hot start that this year for me has already been a success and IMO the worst thing that could happen is the defense blows it in the playoffs, but as a result we fire Sutton and rebuild the defense for 2019 anyway.

I think Sutton is gone after this season no matter what happens.

Plays like the 48 yarder to Hill on fourth and nine to keep the game alive is something Chiefs fans aren't used to.  Well, I guess we have seen it in the past, but it was always done by the other team.  Give fans some time to get used to having a team that can overcome deficits and make last minute, game saving drives.  Give fans a defense that they can trust to stop that last drive which costs a game.  It takes time to build trust.  BTW, I agree that some just like to be negative no matter the situation.  We've enjoyed a spectacular year and there's still more to come in the final games and playoffs.  Be happy with what we have.

The online world lets people blow off steam and a lot of negativity from generally unhappy people compounds it. The Chiefs haven’t helped their case by constantly bringing in other teams backups at QB for 30 years. There really hasn’t been a face of the franchise since Montana’s two years and who knows who before Joe. And there hasn’t been a QB you believed could win a clutch game since Trent Green. Almost all the negativity starts and ends with mediocre and journeymen QBs.

I think Mahomes will change all that if he keeps playing like he has his first 14 games. We may finally have a truly elite QB in his prime. KC has pretty much never had that save Dawson.

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Plays like the 48 yarder to Hill on fourth and nine to keep the game alive is something Chiefs fans aren't used to.  Well, I guess we have seen it in the past, but it was always done by the other team.  Give fans some time to get used to having a team that can overcome deficits and make last minute, game saving drives.  

yes we are, it's just been Elway doing it to us to Ed McCaffery

1 hour ago, qnet said:

The game thread got me a little frustrated yesterday.  I'm watching the gamecast on ESPN and the Chiefs has just moved the ball to the 13 of the Ravens. I tap back to the game thread and posts are still complaining about the play calling.

Public Service Announcement: Don't read game thread, watch game with friends and family and beer 😊

2 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Or if you are like me, you have had your heartbroken so many times you've learned that expecting disappointment makes it easier to digest when it inevitably happens. 

You'd have to be really able to compartmentalize things to sit here and get stoked about a good regular season and not have that feeling in the back of your mind somewhere that this is exactly what our Chiefs do. We play really good regular season football and fold up in the playoffs.

I was born in 1979. In my lifetime the Chiefs have a playoff record of 4-15 and a home playoff record of 2-6. They havent won a home playoff game since 1993. They are 0-6 in home playoff games since then.

So you can sit here and try and psychoanalyze people and put them into your made up categories, but there is one for people like me. Who hope for the best and expect the worst. You can only witness something so many times before you condition yourself to expect it to see it again 

Having said that I think Mahomes will change this narrative vey soon. I dont expect a playoff win this yr because our defense is absolutely putrid. But I do expect playoff wins to become a regular thing on this kids watch.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Or if you are like me, you have had your heartbroken so many times you've learned that expecting disappointment makes it easier to digest when it inevitably happens. 

You'd have to be really able to compartmentalize things to sit here and get stoked about a good regular season and not have that feeling in the back of your mind somewhere that this is exactly what our Chiefs do. We play really good regular season football and fold up in the playoffs.

I was born in 1979. In my lifetime the Chiefs have a playoff record of 4-15 and a home playoff record of 2-6. They havent won a home playoff game since 1993. They are 0-6 in home playoff games since then.

So you can sit here and try and psychoanalyze people and put them into your made up categories, but there is one for people like me. Who hope for the best and expect the worst. You can only witness something so many times before you condition yourself to expect it to see it again 

Having said that I think Mahomes will change this narrative vey soon. I dont expect a playoff win this yr because our defense is absolutely putrid. But I do expect playoff wins to become a regular thing on this kids watch.

This.  Very well-stated.  It’s funny how such a broad stroke is used in this thread to describe anyone deemed to be negative.  Mellinger’s article (and your post) summed things up nicely.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Plays like the 48 yarder to Hill on fourth and nine to keep the game alive is something Chiefs fans aren't used to.  Well, I guess we have seen it in the past, but it was always done by the other team.  Give fans some time to get used to having a team that can overcome deficits and make last minute, game saving drives.  Give fans a defense that they can trust to stop that last drive which costs a game.  It takes time to build trust.  BTW, I agree that some just like to be negative no matter the situation.  We've enjoyed a spectacular year and there's still more to come in the final games and playoffs.  Be happy with what we have.

John Elway mostly.

2 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Yep. You nailed it.  There’s definitely a few folks on this board that seem almost giddy when something bad happens. And that’s curious indeed. 

I’ll just say my opinion is any real fan of this team has to be excited not only about what we are seeing today but perhaps more importantly what’s possible in the future with a young elite and perhaps once in a generation type talent at the games most important position.  History especially when combined with rule changes tell us if you have that, you can and will figure out the other stuff out at some point and maybe multiple times and win a Lombardi.  I think it bothers some people we have this optimism grounded in reality now.  But so what.  I’m having a blast and gonna enjoy this ride.  A lot of fan bases never get this opportunity.  

We all need to keep in mind that this is just entertainment.  Few, if any, of us have any real permanent benefits from the success of the teams we support.  None of us will share in the World Series bonus checks or have a Super Bowl trophy on our mantle.  Yet, we worry about the next game, complain about the defensive coordinator, celebrate victories like we had done it ourselves.  Time for a reminder that it's just a game and the sun will come up at the same time whether the Chiefs win or lose.  That being said, "Beat those stinkin' Chargers!  Stomp them into the ground.  Sutton is an idiot.  Berry better get on the field soon."

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Nice post. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This is my category.  I’m optimistic pessimist.   Hoping for the best and always kinda expecting the worse.  This season has been awesome though and with each passing week this team keeps vanquishing some of those old demons.  I could care less about being right as long as the Chiefs win and I’ve eaten crow numerous times gladly!   Hope our team can stay healthy enough to make a legit playoff run so we can see where we really stack up.  Thursday night is going to be awesome!

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We all need to keep in mind that this is just entertainment.  Few, if any, of us have any real permanent benefits from the success of the teams we support.  None of us will share in the World Series bonus checks or have a Super Bowl trophy on our mantle.  Yet, we worry about the next game, complain about the defensive coordinator, celebrate victories like we had done it ourselves.  Time for a reminder that it's just a game and the sun will come up at the same time whether the Chiefs win or lose.  That being said, "Beat those stinkin' Chargers!  Stomp them into the ground.  Sutton is an idiot.  Berry better get on the field soon."

This reality hit me after the Royals won the World Series and for some reason I still had to pay my bills and go to work anyway. And in my opinion is on point to the reality if people aren't able to enjoy the ride and are always worrying about what could go wrong, they are probably better off finding a different form of more predictable entertainment. 

1 hour ago, Legend of AC said:

This.  Very well-stated.  It’s funny how such a broad stroke is used in this thread to describe anyone deemed to be negative.  Mellinger’s article (and your post) summed things up nicely.

I'm sensing a guilty feeling

Every board is like this. We discuss the bad and the good. Happens at home during games, at the bar and at the game. Its not negativity its life. What are we supposed to do, just praise praise praise? 

Some think they are different? All roses. Easier when the team is 11-2.

If you want all good stuff go to church and live that reality.🙄

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Every board is like this. We discuss the bad and the good. Happens at home during games, at the bar and at the game. Its not negativity its life. What are we supposed to do, just praise praise praise? 

If you want all good stuff go to church and live that reality.

It's not the disgusting of bad,  but almost cheering like behavior for it. 

1 hour ago, Legend of AC said:

Many = a large number

Some = an unspecified amount or number

Yep that about sounds right, no broad brush here, didn't say all. Some in here use the term the defense sucks, which is more broad brushed then many or some. In the defense sucks comment, it sounds like NOBODY is good.

Archived