KPass and Speaks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Speaks is a defensive end somehow “playing” OLB... KPass was a project pick that doesn’t look to pan out... bad, bad draft picks.

We don't know this because Bob Sutton won't play the guy. 

It doesn't matter what GM picked these players, the fact is the Chiefs did and they need to see playing time to know whether or not they can play.

Saying anybody on this defense can't play is giving credit to Sutton for knowing whether they can or not.  We don't know because Sutton won't play them over scrubs like Sorenson, Parker, Murray and even Zombo.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

It's not just a matter of not playing them, it's not coaching them up of even having a role for their supposed skills.

Regardless, Sutton is a moron and won't do either.

They need to be playing.

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

We don't know this because Bob Sutton won't play the guy. 

It doesn't matter what GM picked these players, the fact is the Chiefs did and they need to see playing time to know whether or not they can play.

Saying anybody on this defense can't play is giving credit to Sutton for knowing whether they can or not.  We don't know because Sutton won't play them over scrubs like Sorenson, Parker, Murray and even Zombo.

I think Dee Ford makes your point. Why is it taking, Sutton, so long to develop guys?  

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

I think Dee Ford makes your point. Why is it taking, Sutton, so long to develop guys?  

He's just out of his league anymore.  He has no clue how to run a defense. 

He won't play young players, he won't make adjustments, he doesn't know when to blitz, when not to, he's a complete disaster of a DC. 

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Speaks is a defensive end somehow “playing” OLB... KPass was a project pick that doesn’t look to pan out... bad, bad draft picks.

Yep. Speaks flashed pass rush ability and I think he’d be an asset playing on the dline next year. 

Yes Sutton is a problem. Really good players still show enough to get on the field. Second round picks should not be a reach. To think KC traded up for Speaks?  If those two were anything more than bench warmers they would be playing. Especially on this defense. 

I think speaks would be a really good interior lineman on passing downs.  Kpass could also do this.  

But I think kpass shows enough burst to remain outside.  I think he would be a really nice 4-3 end. 

Our 3rd Dline should look like

Ford-jones-speaks-houston

6 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Yes Sutton is a problem. Really good players still show enough to get on the field. Second round picks should not be a reach. To think KC traded up for Speaks?  If those two were anything more than bench warmers they would be playing. Especially on this defense. 

Lucas definitely showed he should be on the field. 

I would have loved to see Lucas and watts back there this year to see how they would have looked like for the future

14 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I think speaks would be a really good interior lineman on passing downs.  Kpass could also do this.  

But I think kpass does enough burst to remain outside.  I think he would be a really nice 4-3 end. 

Our 3rd Dline should look like

Ford-jones-speaks-houston

Speaks scouting report out of college really seem to indicate a natural interior dline pass rusher.  Having him cover people in any more than occasional zone just doesn’t fit.  And again even Veach admitted they were experimenting with him this year for whatever reason.  

When you trade multiple picks for your QBOTF you need to buckle down and draft guys who can step right in and help not developmental guys for a guy who has no history of developing anything.    Tanoh was drafted in case of Ford/Houston but Speaks is unexplainable with how bad our secondary and ILB's have been.    Especially trying to get a guy that should be packing on muscle not trying to slim down to cover.   I could have understood had we drafted Bailey's replacement but we've wasted the year on him because he's not going to be an effective OLB.   

I actually liked Speaks when given the chance. He's not an edge rusher that's for sure but a solid guy against the run. However he's not an OLB that can cover so I think a move to DE is a very likely scenario for him. Kpass showed some promise last year, he has great agility for a guy his size and very powerful. For some reason he played a handful of snaps this year and didn't do much but I don't really expect him to contribute a lot without playing consistent snaps.

I don't really trust Sutton in the best man approach. He seems to like guys that have been longer in his system even if they are bad (aka Murray or Dirty Dan). I doubt we can ever integrate youngsters to the system as good as we should for a consistently decent defense with this approach. 

Speaks is an elephant kind of rusher that needs to be lining up in all kinds of goofy spots.  They are completely misusing him and it's a shame.

The more I see Kpass, I'm starting to think he's more suited for a 4-3 look and they should entertain trading him in the offseason.  He could fit in here, but I think he's like JPP and needs to go somewhere similar to get the most.

Archived