Clinch #1 and the bye week!!!

Here is the question and I don't want the CHIEFS to get ahead of themselves but as a fan I can. Say that the CHIEFS beat the Chargers on Thursday night, that would give the them the AFC West crown. Fast forward to Sunday and the football Gods give us our wish and the Steelers beat the Patriots, yes it's possible because Pittsburg is fighting for their playoff lives. This would give the CHIEFS the #1 and the bye week. Does Andy give the team the much needed rest for a month and play the backups or does he play the starters against Seahawks and or Raiders?

24 minutes ago, AppalachianChief said:

Here is the question and I don't want the CHIEFS to get ahead of themselves but as a fan I can. Say that the CHIEFS beat the Chargers on Thursday night, that would give the them the AFC West crown. Fast forward to Sunday and the football Gods give us our wish and the Steelers beat the Patriots, yes it's possible because Pittsburg is fighting for their playoff lives. This would give the CHIEFS the #1 and the bye week. Does Andy give the team the much needed rest for a month and play the backups or does he play the starters against Seahawks and or Raiders?

Can't let them rest too much, they will get rusty. It seems like every team that "over rest" their starters end up coming out sluggish in the first half of their playoff games. IMO, injured players, let them rest a little more than non-injured players. Also if the games start getting chippy where you can tell the opponents are going head hunting yank the key players.

Seattle is still fighting to stay in the playoffs so I believe they will be pulling out all the stops. The Raiders are lame ducks but they are the Raiders. 

If the Chiefs beat the Chargers, we might see more of the backups in the SEA game, then go all out at the beginning of the Raider game.  That way the starters are playing every other week rather than taking a long period off.  We can never assume a win against the Raiders, but the odds are so high that if the SEA game looks like a loss in the second half, it might make sense to pull everyone with an ache or pain.  But the key to everything is to beat the Chargers.

Even though Pat plays like a vet QB I still think the more snaps the better at his age /shrug.  I say play starters till last game vs Raiders and treat that as a Pre-Season type game.  WELL Unless Mahomes and Kelce are both close to records hahaha

We'll know a lot after this weekend.  IF the Chiefs beat the Chargers and if NE wins over the Steelers, then KC needs another win and I don't see Reid resting the starters unless the #1 seed is secured.  That might take until the Raider game is decided.  SEA is looking really good and they also have a home field advantage. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We'll know a lot after this weekend.  IF the Chiefs beat the Chargers and if NE wins over the Steelers, then KC needs another win and I don't see Reid resting the starters unless the #1 seed is secured.  That might take until the Raider game is decided.  SEA is looking really good and they also have a home field advantage. 

They will play both games at the same time so one cant rest their starters if the other one already wraps it up. This way there is no competitive advantage for NE to see us win and know they cant do better than the 2 seed and get their guys rest and vice versa. So if we dont have it by the Raiders game expect a full game from our starters

If that scenario happens and imo it's a really good possibility,  I would imagine the most Reid would do is pull the starters in the 2nd half of the Seattle game.   We play Seattle Sunday night and Pitt and NE play the late game Sunday.   By the time the Pitt and NE finishes the players are going to be into their pre game warm up and even if they are scoreboard watching right before the game, I doubt they pull anybody that late before kick off.  

Reid sure would sit out all the injured starters. The ones that are 100% would play about half the snaps IMO, can't have them actually sit out completely and build up some rust. I think it would be a huge boost to our OL though and may be we find some solid defenders among the backups. Mitchell was a decent surprise when he got the chance and could use a couple emerging names for the playoffs. 

Archived