Should we have taken CB and Safety high in the draft?

Carlton Davis hasn't had a good year, but he's a bad fit in Tampa.

I think Speaks would have been ok if they either just played him at DE or made him live in a sauna from the moment we drafted him up till camp.  Not my first choice though.

People were livid they missed out on Josh Jackson and he hasn't done well either.

Passing on Jessie Bates III was just baffling though.  Think how much better off we would be if he was on the field instead of Ron Parker.

Speaks definitely needs to bulk up and be DE he is just to stiff for outside lb. Wasn't a fan at the time of the draft and to trade up for a guy who seemed to be projected to go in the third. So far are first year gm offseason/draft leaves a lot to be desired.

That's a really hard question for me, as I don't follow college football enough to know, like a lot of you. From my  experience of watching the NFL over the years, some guys have it, and some just don't, not matter were they're drafted. Drafting talent in the first round helps, but you don't know until the player hits the NFL field for real.

11 hours ago, qnet said:

That's a really hard question for me, as I don't follow college football enough to know, like a lot of you. From my  experience of watching the NFL over the years, some guys have it, and some just don't, not matter were they're drafted. Drafting talent in the first round helps, but you don't know until the player hits the NFL field for real.

I think it's more of an approach thing. This regime seems to pick guys to groom for positions but has a weird tendency. We made the mistake of picking an edge rusher to make him an OLB, then repeated it twice in the last 2 years with one of them trading up. We seem to look for CBs that can play Safety when picking Safeties the other way around when looking at CBs. So far every experiment failed in this regime and I think it's pretty clear that we need to go for more conventional approaches. 

Archived