So how does Veach turn this defense around In the offseason?

It's actually crazy to think that this defense we're witnessing.

1. It's the FIFTH BEST team in the league with takeaways  

2. Today it's THE NUMBER ONE team in sacks

3. One of just SEVEN teams to have no conceded 30 points at home

Personally, I think the pass rush has been tremendous and if we can add another stud to replace Bailey, then it should be even better next season. The obvious areas where we should tear the whole thing down are at the inside linebackers position and of course, the secondary. Ragland and Hitchens just don't cut it imo and I'd try and trade Hitchens if that's possible. And In the secondary the only starters I'd keep are Berry and Fuller. The rest need to be gone. With us already having a great pass rush and some decent pieces in the secondary, I don't really think it would take a miracle to turn this defense into a very decent one for next season. Whether Veach has the ability to do that is another question.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at this point you look at teams with top 5 defenses the last couple of years and pull from them for a DC. we don't have a bunch of key defensive pieces so even entertain moving to a 4-3 if the coach is proven and oriented in that scheme.

We can rush the passer, but the problem is Sutton goes dime and prevent the 4th quarter when the games on the line.  Never learns and doesn't adapt to his players...it all starts with him.  

We need a big time versatile safety to pair with Berry and protect us in case he gets hurt. Third safety of Watts seems like a perfect compliment.  

Gotta draft a legit outside corner.  Resign Nelson as the slot. 

Theres my top two priorities outside of resigning our own guys. I’m gonna give DOD another full offseason here to develop into the guy we need to cover RBs, TEs and generally be a jack of all trades completely missing from this years team.  

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

chiefs need a stud linebacker. number 1 priority, 

look at dallas and seattle. that middle LB is the key. 

Valid point. Hitchens was really good when paired with a versatile stud LB in Dallas.  I’d agree if we see that guy in the draft you do it.  That said we’ve got gaping holes at safety and ĆB that may be easier to fill from back of the draft.  And I still want to see what DOD can contribute in year two. He’s got skill set and speed to take big step forward.  

Hitchens isn't going anywhere, if he sucks so bad then why would anyone trade for him?  Get a read DC and he won't be out of position every down.

Turning over 10 players on defense, including back ups, would be hard to do.  I would try to replace Bailey, Ragland, Sorenson, Parker, Murray and Scandrick first, then see what other upgrades can be made

17 minutes ago, dksww said:

Hitchens isn't going anywhere, if he sucks so bad then why would anyone trade for him?  Get a read DC and he won't be out of position every down.

Turning over 10 players on defense, including back ups, would be hard to do.  I would try to replace Bailey, Ragland, Sorenson, Parker, Murray and Scandrick first, then see what other upgrades can be made

We made a commitment to Hitchens already so it makes far more sense to put him in role he has proven he can succeed and pair him with the versatile cover guy he is not.  

The problem with that is generally 2 rookie corners usually doesn't have a good final result.  Flowers and Carr got owned quite a bit year 1, although Carr was a lot more exposed.

To multiply the problem, the FA options are pretty rough.  Best option would to see if they can trade for one and draft one, but teams are reluctant to trade corners that aren't bad for some odd reason.

19 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The problem with that is generally 2 rookie corners usually doesn't have a good final result.  Flowers and Carr got owned quite a bit year 1, although Carr was a lot more exposed.

To multiply the problem, the FA options are pretty rough.  Best option would to see if they can trade for one and draft one, but teams are reluctant to trade corners that aren't bad for some odd reason.

Josh Jackson/Jaire Alexander have been pretty decent in GB.

Starts with firing Sutton.

UFA's on D that we let walk - Allen Bailey, Steven Nelson, Orlando Scandrick, & Ron Parker

Cut players on D - Justin Houston, Xavier Williams, & Dan Sorensen

I didn't cut Ragland because a new DC might help with his production.

UFA's on O that we let walk - Mitch Morse, Demetrius Harris, Chris Conley, & Anthony Sherman

Cut players on O - No one

Needs after cuts and FA in order of importance - DB, RB, DB, S, ILB, DE, C, OLB, TE, FB - 10 immediate needs

Franchise Dee Ford at 14.9 Mil

Start working on extending Tyreek Hill next year so we don't have him and Chris Jones being due on the same year.

Cap Space after For franchise - $42 million

$5-6 million for rookie pool

$12-15 million to work on Hill's extention

Leaving about $20 million for FA's.   

VoObviously at this point the names don't matter as much as finding the positions.

1.  Jamel Dean - CB Auburn

2a. Vosean Joseph - LB - Florida

2b. Chase Winovich - OLB Michigan

3.  Travyeon Williams - RB A&M

After the draft we would need to find a starting CB, DE and S in FA.    Maybe the will throw Speaks or Kpass in the weight room and move them to DE.   

Earl Thomas - 3yr/36 million  

DB & DE - Find a couple guys coming off an injury looking to play on a prove it deal.

We are proving to be a good destination for players this year.   A team that scores a lot will allows pass rushers to pin their ears back which should be enticing and same goes for DB's playing with EB and Earl.   This won't be a long term fix but we can't plug every hole.   This might buy us one more year to see if Ward or Smith can play DB and maybe Speaks and Kpass can bulk up enough to man the DE spot after a year in a more natural position.   

9 hours ago, Legend of AC said:

Josh Jackson/Jaire Alexander have been pretty decent in GB.

Jackson has been pretty disappointing so far in GB.  He's a rookie and a rookie sucking isn't a new concept, but it's a factor in the Packers bad record this year.

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Starts with firing Sutton.

UFA's on D that we let walk - Allen Bailey, Steven Nelson, Orlando Scandrick, & Ron Parker

Cut players on D - Justin Houston, Xavier Williams, & Dan Sorensen

I didn't cut Ragland because a new DC might help with his production.

UFA's on O that we let walk - Mitch Morse, Demetrius Harris, Chris Conley, & Anthony Sherman

Cut players on O - No one

Needs after cuts and FA in order of importance - DB, RB, DB, S, ILB, DE, C, OLB, TE, FB - 10 immediate needs

Franchise Dee Ford at 14.9 Mil

Start working on extending Tyreek Hill next year so we don't have him and Chris Jones being due on the same year.

Cap Space after For franchise - $42 million

$5-6 million for rookie pool

$12-15 million to work on Hill's extention

Leaving about $20 million for FA's.   

VoObviously at this point the names don't matter as much as finding the positions.

1.  Jamel Dean - CB Auburn

2a. Vosean Joseph - LB - Florida

2b. Chase Winovich - OLB Michigan

3.  Travyeon Williams - RB A&M

After the draft we would need to find a starting CB, DE and S in FA.    Maybe the will throw Speaks or Kpass in the weight room and move them to DE.   

Earl Thomas - 3yr/36 million  

DB & DE - Find a couple guys coming off an injury looking to play on a prove it deal.

We are proving to be a good destination for players this year.   A team that scores a lot will allows pass rushers to pin their ears back which should be enticing and same goes for DB's playing with EB and Earl.   This won't be a long term fix but we can't plug every hole.   This might buy us one more year to see if Ward or Smith can play DB and maybe Speaks and Kpass can bulk up enough to man the DE spot after a year in a more natural position.   

Houston's dead cap is still a bit more than ideal.  I think the best outcome is reworking his deal some for a better team cap hit.  I think he would do it to stay with a legit SB contender.

Can't complain about the other D cuts.

Scandrick is a perfectly fine person to bring back for vet min.  Just don't be penciling him in as the #1 like they had no choice but to do this year smh

Dean would be bad value in the first, and you're not getting Joseph without using that 1.

4 hours ago, MisChief-Maker said:

I can't agree with cutting Houston. Right now we have the best pass rush in the league, why break that up? Makes no sense. The strategy should be to leave the pass rush alone and focus on the ilb and secondary imo. 

so your ok with   signing Ford to a Houston like contract which it might take unless he's Franchised, Houston and Berry? who else you gonna pay? and OBTW rarely  have they proved they can play a whole season much less 1/2 a season

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

so your ok with   signing Ford to a Houston like contract which it might take unless he's Franchised, Houston and Berry? who else you gonna pay? and OBTW rarely  have they proved they can play a whole season much less 1/2 a season

We can just tag Ford and keep the band together. ALL focus should be on getting an ilb who can move side to side and secondary help for Berry and Fuller imo. Why change the only part of the defense that is elite? Makes no sense to me. If we can create a decent secondary then this defense could be frightening i think. 

7 hours ago, MisChief-Maker said:

I can't agree with cutting Houston. Right now we have the best pass rush in the league, why break that up? Makes no sense. The strategy should be to leave the pass rush alone and focus on the ilb and secondary imo. 

Because you can't tie up 37 million into two guys who have totaled 15 sacks between them.........Houston is a good player but he makes 22 million next year.    I don't want to rework his contract either because he's never going to get better from this point on.    It sucks because I love him and agree we are better with him but it makes no financial sense.  We have to continue to find these guys in the draft no draft projects who have never played OLB in their life.

59 minutes ago, MisChief-Maker said:

We can just tag Ford and keep the band together. ALL focus should be on getting an ilb who can move side to side and secondary help for Berry and Fuller imo. Why change the only part of the defense that is elite? Makes no sense to me. If we can create a decent secondary then this defense could be frightening i think. 

We have 42 million in cap which sounds like a lot.

Subtract 5 for the rookie pool.

Subtract 15 for Dee Ford

Gonna have to extend Jones or Hill this year to avoid losing one the following year so that will take at least 13-15 million....at least.

Subtract 13-15 for extending Jones/Hill.

You have 7-10 left over..............

How you going to find that stud ILB, 2 starting CB and safety help with 7-10.  That doesn't explain how you replace Morse unless you roll with Rieter who is a downgrade, a #2 TE, another WR for when Conley leaves,  and a DE when Bailey leaves.

We are first in the league in sacks with Houston contributing...........5.     I know he plays a bigger part than just the sacks but we were pretty decent/good when he was out and I think getting a better DC in here we will realize we could be good without Houston.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Subtract 15 for Dee Ford

Gonna have to extend Jones or Hill this year to avoid losing one the following year so that will take at least 13-15 million....at least.

How you going to find that stud ILB, 2 starting CB and safety help with 7-10.  That doesn't explain how you replace Morse unless you roll with Rieter who is a downgrade, a #2 TE, another WR for when Conley leaves,  and a DE when Bailey leaves.

We are first in the league in sacks with Houston contributing...........5.     I know he plays a bigger part than just the sacks but we were pretty decent/good when he was out and I think getting a better DC in here we will realize we could be good without Houston.

We lost against the rams and pats without Houston, so I disagree with the the notion that we were "good" without him. I'd also urge yoy to take a look at the rams and how they are paying major money to the likes of Suh, Donold, Gurley, Joyner, Cooks, Talib etc etc. We can make it work if we try and keeping Houston, Jones and Ford together should be a no brainer imo. In todays nfl you don't tear down an elite pass rush unless there is no other choice. You just don't.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Subtract 15 for Dee Ford

Good post but you have to remember that extending people usually comes with a low cap value initially.  So if either Jones or Tyreek does get new contract I think they play for cheap in 2019 under current contract terms still.  We also can’t rule out extending Dee Ford at less than half the tag value. (Although I favor tagging him). Letting Houston walk does pay for Fords tag.  So it’s gotta at least be considered.  We do not have his replacement in house though so we may ultimately spend as much to get a lesser player short term.  

Archived