So how does Veach turn this defense around In the offseason?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I would love to see what another D coord can do with these 2.

I really do wonder if we are planning on moving to a 4-3.    Seems like it would be the perfect year to make the move.  

Would your linebackers be   Hitchens, Ragland, Odaniel     or   __FA/Draft__,  Hitchens,  Odaniel?    

I think your front 4 could be solid with    Kpass/Speaks,  Chris Jones,  Nandi/FA/Draft,  Ford     

Any word on whether or not Fuller will play vs Sea?  If he cannot make it we’ll be playing Scandrick, Nelson, Terrance Smith, and Charvarius Ward.  That line up of CBS is PATHETIC.

If you are like me you had to look up Ward to figure out who in the hell he is... we got him in a trade with Dallas.  He’s an undrafted rookie.

We must sign 1 or 2 FA CBs AND draft 1 or 2 CBs in high rounds.  We also need to go after 1 or 2 safeties.  

Couple the moves above with a quality NT &/or an ILB & the personal issues are somewhat better.....

....  & before any of the moves above are made they need to fire Sutton.

Veach had an advantage of taking over during summer after all FA and draft was done and with no need of finding a QB but so far he hasn't been successful in his lone draft or FA and the trades weren't that successful either. I think this offseason will be a true test for him but could also be his last if we don't see some major defensive improvement. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Veach had an advantage of taking over during summer after all FA and draft was done and with no need of finding a QB but so far he hasn't been successful in his lone draft or FA and the trades weren't that successful either. I think this offseason will be a true test for him but could also be his last if we don't see some major defensive improvement. 

Agree...

17 hours ago, oldtimer said:

who would you have prefered? to keep Dorsey? or did you have someone on your short list that was proven

Veach has had only one draft that didn’t include any picks until almost 50th overall.  Sure he’s got a lot to prove, but a scout like him needs draft ammunition to see what he can deally do.  He’s got it this year.  So really big offseason for him.  

2 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Veach's defensive talent evaluation is abyssal. We have Scandrick, Nelson, Sorenson, Fuller, Murray as our top 5 in the secondary. 

are you saying Fuller is abyssal?..I think your over reacting. Who's to say a different coach doesnt put them in the right spots to succeed. you at to hang Sutton I'll tie the knot  You want top blame Reid for keeping Sutton I'll listen but after a while much is out of Veach's hands. We have the best record  in  the AFC and  here we go.. homer-end-is-near.jpg.. really embarrassing truthfully.

9 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Veach's defensive talent evaluation is abyssal. We have Scandrick, Nelson, Sorenson, Fuller, Murray as our top 5 in the secondary. 

How many were drafted by him? He has scouts too for a reason. Give him time this off season and the draft to see what he can do. If we get more like our last draft then the talk can start imo. Not like we had a ton of money in place for the cap last season and reacting to Berry going down I would have brought back Parker too. Guy knew the system and the team so it made sense.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

are you saying Fuller is abyssal?..I think your over reacting. Who's to say a different coach doesnt put them in the right spots to succeed. you at to hang Sutton I'll tie the knot  You want top blame Reid for keeping Sutton I'll listen but after a while much is out of Veach's hands. We have the best record  in  the AFC and  here we go.. homer-end-is-near.jpg.. really embarrassing truthfully.

I am very happy with our record. Extremely happy with our QB. Happy with the pass rush. But our pass defense is 32. Not happy at all. The fact that Veach thinks Nelson and Scandrick are starting CBs in the NFL is abysmal. Sorenson, Murray? Are you watching? Fuller has just played ok. Below expectations. Sutton definitely has to go but he's not chasing and trailing receivers around without turning their heads and missing tackles after receptions. They should have learned this in high school. Ignoring the obvious can also be embarrassing....truthfully. I'm not one to continuously want to find blatant weaknesses in my favorite team. They're finding me. If we had a medium to bad defense to go with this offense,  I'd be ok.

10 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I am very happy with our record. Extremely happy with our QB. Happy with the pass rush. But our pass defense is 32. Not happy at all. The fact that Veach thinks Nelson and Scandrick are starting CBs in the NFL is abysmal. Sorenson, Murray? Are you watching? Fuller has just played ok. Below expectations. Sutton definitely has to go but he's not chasing and trailing receivers around without turning their heads and missing tackles after receptions. They should have learned this in high school. Ignoring the obvious can also be embarrassing....truthfully. I'm not one to continuously want to find blatant weaknesses in my favorite team. They're finding me. If we had a medium to bad defense to go with this offense,  I'd be ok.

I don't totally agree. I think Veach may have thought they were good players, but who knows now. I'm not putting it all on him because he's not the one coaching. I think Sutton is the one deciding they're starting CB's by having them out there playing over other players. 

17 minutes ago, qnet said:

I don't totally agree. I think Veach may have thought they were good players, but who knows now. I'm not putting it all on him because he's not the one coaching. I think Sutton is the one deciding they're starting CB's by having them out there playing over other players. 

I'm not putting all the blame on Veach either. Andy should have fired Sutton yesterday. 

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Nelson and Fuller are both above average starting corners and grade out that way. They just are not backed up by any type of reliable safety play.  There's no coincidence that with Eric Berry behind them in the first half vs the Chargers, they only scored 7 points and had two turnovers. 

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Nelson and Fuller are both above average starting corners and grade out that way. They just are not backed up by any type of reliable safety play.  There's no coincidence that with Eric Berry behind them in the first half vs the Chargers, they only scored 7 points and had two turnovers. 

While it was encouraging to see that, I'm not sold the defense doesn't still blow it because of Sutton's scheme and play calls.

1 minute ago, dksww said:

While it was encouraging to see that, I'm not sold the defense doesn't still blow it because of Sutton's scheme and play calls.

It goes beyond scheme though. Our inside linebackers and other safety have been way below average replacment level value. Which means we could literally bring in people off the street who could outperform Hitchens and Ragland. But maybe this indeed scheme as well. 

20 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Had all off season to improve secondary too. Complete miss.

Both of our starting safeties got hurt before the season. They drafted Watts in rd. 4 and he was hurt in week 5. He also signed David Amerson hoping to get a starting CB there.  Then he traded for Lucas and Ward prior to the season for depth. So its not like he completely ignored the secondary.

I think in hindsight even Veach might tell you that they should have gone DB in rd 2. But they didnt know if Fords back would hold up.

Its been the perfect storm of injuries and Reid keeping the worst DC in football in staff. Veach doesnt get a complete pass at all. But the dude needs more time before he gets a real grade.

Also dont forget he inherited a complete clusterfuck of a cap situation and no first round pick. 

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It goes beyond scheme though. Our inside linebackers and other safety have been way below average replacment level value. Which means we could literally bring in people off the street who could outperform Hitchens and Ragland. But maybe this indeed scheme as well. 

True, but I'm convinced all 11 guys could be pro bowl level players and Sutton would still screw it up.

7 minutes ago, dksww said:

True, but I'm convinced all 11 guys could be pro bowl level players and Sutton would still screw it up.

Well he had 5 in the 2013-14 season on defense with Hali, Houston, Flowers, Berry and Poe and we blew a 28 point lead to Indy losing 44 to 44 so yes he can screw it up.

Archived